Diplomas Have Any NO Value in the Film or Music Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's crap. Education means EVERYTHING. Experience means EVERYTHING.

If you don't get educated as to how to do the things that you want to do, then you're pretty lost.

Knowing 150 people means DICK if you don't have the skill set to do anything for them, to even make you WORTH KNOWING.

Education does Not Equal a diploma. A diploma is just a piece of paper. Education comes from Experience. Most producers can't read notation, but are the highest paid. While the ones who can read notation work for those that don't.

Some industries require a diploma, but we are talking Music & Film industries.
A Diploma means NOTHING.

Last edited:
qualifications by themselves maybe not, but the skills you have to have in order to gain those qualifications...definitely.

a lot of people get confused about this and start saying 'but Bill Gates dropped out'...

1. You are not Bill Gates
2. People like that who drop out don't 'drop out', they leave because they feel that they have nothing to learn from the course /have something that needs their full attention right away.

Why wouldn't you want one?. The whole experience to get a diploma is beneficial.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

qualifications by themselves maybe not, but the skills you have to have in order to gain those qualifications...definitely.

a lot of people get confused about this and start saying 'but Bill Gates dropped out'...

1. You are not Bill Gates
2. People like that who drop out don't 'drop out', they leave because they feel that they have nothing to learn from the course /have something that needs their full attention right away.

truth right there. btw Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard, not some state university or community college like most of us do.

Education does Not Equal a diploma. A diploma is just a piece of paper..

No...education comes from KNOWLEDGE.

You sit in those classrooms so that you can get EDUCATED by people who have the KNOWLEDGE. Then you go and turn that EDUCATION into EXPERIENCE.

One can ACQUIRE knowledge from some of anywhere...not just a classroom. But a diploma shows that you have fulfilled the requirements of being EDUCATED in a particular field.

It's up to you to turn that EDUCATION into EXPERIENCE.

I'd be a shit ton better at mixing if I had gotten educated in someone's classroom (and gotten a diploma for it), than I am now, trying to learn it on my own over the past 10 years.

Yeah I have EXPERIENCE, but not that muck KNOWLEDGE in mixing.

Last edited:
Wrong^^^

Education comes from Experience. The Knowledge is gained with that Experience. Which brings forth Wisdom.
Education is not simply knowledge. There are alot of people who have learned nothing from their education.

I can become educated by watching a pimp and hoe. How the game work.
Educate simply means to learn.

You do not need a Degree to simply learn something. That is ridiculous.

Remember, we are dealing with these (2)industries for this topic.

Last edited:
Wrong^^^

Education comes from Experience. The Knowledge is gained with that Experience. Which brings forth Wisdom.
Education is not simply knowledge. There are alot of people who have learned nothing from their education.

Nobody said you need a degree to learn something. Nobody ever implied that in the history of history. Ever.

Do you have a degree?

Wrong^^^

same can be said of experience too though. just because you've experienced something it doesn't mean you learned something out of it. An example would be repeat offenders going back to jail

No, and I don't want one or need it. Doing just great living and learning.
There is was a time before a college was ever thought of. Yet someone civilization continued to thrive.

I don't recall the Egyptians having a college graduation degree course for pyramids.

Wisdom cannot be contained and summed up by paper.
Wisdom is ever growing and free.

Last edited:
People shouldn't try to spread common sense in threads like these.

Sometimes you have to let people fall on their face.

Don't try to convince them of anything if they want to argue about it.

The words "A diploma doesn't mean anything" should've had this thread at the bottom of the page with no replies.

In a land of abundance, people set themselves up to struggle because they're lazy, lol... smh.

Somebody else will get a diploma. Please tell them that they're dumb for getting it but don't forget to put Armor All on their tires.

Nobody said you need a degree to learn something. Nobody ever implied that in the history of history. Ever.

Do you have a degree?

There is was a time before a college was ever thought of. Yet someone civilization continued to thrive.

I don't recall the Egyptians having a college graduation degree course for pyramids.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

People shouldn't try to spread common sense in threads like these.

Sometimes you have to let people fall on their face.

Don't try to convince them of anything if they want to argue about it.

The words "A diploma doesn't mean anything" should've had this thread at the bottom of the page with no replies.

In a land of abundance, people set themselves up to struggle because they're lazy, lol... smh.

Somebody else will get a diploma. Please tell them that they're dumb for getting it but don't forget to put Armor All on their tires.

See this is the old 20th century thinking.
Most people with college degrees are struggling finding jobs today.
while people with experience ,wisdom and skills are thriving.

The wise hustler will always make money.

Last edited:
For all of the people that aren't on bath salts...

The days of the generalist are over, you have to have a defined skillset. You have to be able to say I am a(n) "insert title here". You can no longer say "I can type, I know MSOffice, I have good communication skills, etc..." well whoop T phuggin' doo... what are you?

Accountant?
Lawyer?
Certified Mechanic?

Don't have a defined title... get table scraps until you're eventually pushed out of the door.

That's where we're at. Don't ask me how we got here but... that's where we're at.

For all of the people that aren't on bath salts...

The days of the generalist are over, you have to have a defined skillset. You have to be able to say I am a(n) "insert title here". You can no longer say "I can type, I know MSOffice, I have good communication skills, etc..." well whoop T phuggin' doo... what are you?

Accountant?
Lawyer?
Certified Mechanic?

Don't have a defined title... get table scraps until you're eventually pushed out of the door.

That's where we're at. Don't ask me how we got here but... that's where we're at.

53% of Recent College Grads Are Jobless or Underemployed—How?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...rads-are-jobless-or-underemployed-how/256237/

Last edited:
The arts' are diff on certain levels when it comes to formal education. What formal degrees James Brown, Jay Z, or Drake received means little in music, but these people have the knowledge and experience to be successful in the arts and entertainment business. When you're not on that level it could be a problem, and a lot of musicians end up teaching for income, and this when
credentials, through certificates, degrees, or notable experience become important.

^^^ This is a true statement. You can read it on CNN.

.... but imagine how rough it is if you DON'T have one.

That PAPER is just a separator. This guy said that they don't hire kids with degrees for their degree. He said they hire them because they have shown that they can complete something that's hard and boring. College to employers is hard and boring, they want people that can do hard and boring work. Not lazy quitters / hustlers.

You can only go so far without a degree, once you reach a certain level... they won't let you into "the club" if you don't have one. They'll want you in the club... but they won't let you in.

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

See this is the old 20th century thinking.
while people with experience ,wisdom and skills are thriving.

The wise hustler will always make money.

Most applications for jobs are done online now. A lot of jobs that aren't minimum wage don't even look at applications without a degree attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back