Dilla/Primo vs Pharrell/Timbo

Zan Griner

Dilla/Premo vs Pharrell/Timbo

I keep seeing these producer lists and the 'goat' lists. IMO Dilla and primo are legends,and obviously will go down has pioneers in this rap ish, but neither one of them is the greatest. Far from it actually. Not when we have the timbalands, and pharrells of today. What are you guys opinions? Before Jordan, Dr J was the 'GOAT'. With that being said, just become you come first in the game and are a pioneer, doesn't mean your subordinates can't surpass you.

Last edited:
Eh not in the same weight class is a weak statement. Very dismissive. If you look at the hits both groups have, the careers they jump started, and revived, its not like its a runaway race. So not in the same weight class doesn't quite fit. In my humble opinion.

I'm going with Pharrell and Timbo. Both aren't really confined to a specific sound and are able to go outside of hip hop to make great music in other genres. IMO that's waay more impressive than Dilla and Premo

^^^ Dilla died b4 his progression could be fully realized.
Did u know he did this beat, don't sleep?

I honestly don't know how much of Timbo's versitility u can equate to just him, being that he rolled with Danja and now J Roc.

I would say there are better producers out there in the underground that are still unknown but they basically all where inspired by Premo and Dilla + Timbo/Neptunes
Some just never come to the light.

Last edited:
will never understand the Premo hype, a couple tight beats here and there, but meh, i could name about 100 producers i'd take over Premo

J Dilla had some great music. He just worked with the wrong artists. I think he could have been hotter than Timbo or Pharell if he would have brought his style to more pop-oriented acts. Many pop stars love that gritty hip-hop sound. His is beats were way harder than any Primo beat.

But in the end, Pharrell + Chad > all off them other cats combined.

I was never a huge Jay Dee fan. I like some of his beats, but I wouldn't consider him in my top 5. Preemo, on the other hand....Top 3 easily.

Last edited:
I was never a huge Jay Dee fan. I like some of his beats, but I wouldn't consider him in my top 5. Preemo, on the other hand....Top 3 easily.

I am with you on this a bit.
I would put JD in my top 20
Preemo gets top 5 no doubt

Most of that has more to do with the ground these cats broke in their respective styles. Preemo laid the groundwork that influenced people like Madlib, Dilla, and even to an extent Timbo and Pharrell, maybe not always stylistically but in process and advances to the craft as a whole.

There is no way to deny any one of these 4 their place in the history of hip hop, anyone who does is a fool and does not know their history in the least.

Lets compare hit records....... Timbo and Pharell by 20,000 miles. Dilla tight tho.
How can u talk about hit records when Primo and Dilla were mainly part of the underground back before hip-hop was a billion dollar business.
For those that don't know Primo hit in the late 80s & early 90s with ganstarr, while Dilla was mid to late 90s. A hit was not a billboard thing at that time.
Timbo was less underground than those two and Pharrell even less so.

When I saw this clip, I thought about these best of convos we b having.

How many of y'all would put Flash or Cold Crush in yo top 5? It's all about age in these discussions

How many of y'all would put Flash or Cold Crush in yo top 5? It's all about age in these discussions

LL Cool J put in a lot of work in hip-hop. But he has never been someone that I really liked. He may have had a song or verse here and there. But he isn't a top hip-hop artist to me. I can never discredit his legacy or work ethic, but his music just never did it for me.

I am glad he is on NCIS. He earned his spot in the entertainment business.

LL Cool J put in a lot of work in hip-hop. But he has never been someone that I really liked. He may have had a song or verse here and there. But he isn't a top hip-hop artist to me. I can never discredit his legacy or work ethic, but his music just never did it for me.

Yeah but his battle with Kool Moe Dee is the stuff of absolute legends, that beef made hit after hit from both those cats.

The clip wasn't bout him.
It was about how u view musical history.
In his era he was top 5, but that was a time when probably less than 10 groups/MCs had national exposure.

The clip wasn't bout him.
It was about how u view musical history.
In his era he was top 5, but that was a time when probably less than 10 groups/MCs had national exposure.

I grew up listening to music during the Flash, Cold Crush era and there were not many at all to challenge the few crews with national exposure.
when Cool J came along you had him, Kool Moe Dee, Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang was on their way out and then a bunch of real minor players trying to cash in, but nothing on the scale of LL, KMD or Run they flat out ruled what was hip hop at the time on the national scale.

Personal pref I go with Dilla. Soulquarians...........rule the world. Yall can have that boopity boop boom bap yo kid and flying saucer fxs and disco rock music.....because your happy and all that.

Um, wow.

If I didn't know who u were, I'd really trip.

But to each his own.

gotta understand ima musician at the end of the day, so all that chopping samples to make them sound like the soul artist he sampled is having a stroke is just corny to me. there was no real musical elements to the music, the drums are trash, the mixes are trash, and the songs he produced arent really that good

never liked Gangstarr, never liked Group Home, never liked any of that weak shit lol. I just like music that stands the test of time over the years, i listen to DJ Premier music in 2014 and feel like its ancient, i listen to Dilla, Timbo, Pharrell and i feel like its still fresh. His music is just stale to me. Always a legend so respect for being a pioneer but gotta just call it like it is lol

if i heard Dj Premier beats from FP cats i'd probably laugh them off the site, he probably has only 5 beats that i would consider good.

lol dont let my "status" stop you from voicing your opinions, ima nobody i'd kill for success for a career like Premo, but the music is just mediocre to me. Give me The Alchemist over premo, similar styles except 100000x better

Back