Digging in the crates is becoming less and less popular

Flo Niddy

Is it me or is everybody using youtube to mp3. What do you use? I mostly use it as well but i am looking foward to only sampling vynl. What is the major difference?

I mean you could have a USB turntable and you might as well be sampling off of youtube... vinyl is dope, a lot of people i know are sampling from cassettes now too

Yes. I have heard of that as well. I use youtube because it is convienint. I think once i get my budget up i will sample all 3 ways and see which one is dopest.

Where you at in the Buff, Flo Niddy? There are still a few good record stores around here...

GJ

Last edited:
It only means more records for me. :cheers:

The major difference would be the actual action of going digging and going through the records you dug up. It isn't really comparable to spending hours browsing Youtube.. I sample only vinyl because I enjoy digging and appreciate vinyl records as a medium.

youtube's usually a last resort for me if no flacs are present.
samplerate's always below 96khz on youtube so timestretching will produce artifacts after being stretched a small distance.

It's still popular but It's just more convenient for cats to download.
I download my fair share of stuff but nothing beats digging through crates.

Peace

I hardly sample from youtube.
If i find a song on youtube i search the song in Soulseek for a mp3 and use that.

i agree, also listening to records is more enjoyable to me for intangibles like pulling the record out, putting it on, the fact they are less than 20 mintutes per side etc. and they sound better if you have the right set-up. double clicking different files is boring to me and i have less patience with it, that of course is a personal thing and everyone is different.

Assuming the sound quality is the same, the only difference between mp3's and vinyl is accessibility. There are some records you simply won't find on youtube that are on vinyl or cassette. But you can convert a vinyl album into mp3, and assuming you maximize the sound wave and remove the white noise from recording, the sound quality is virtually the same.

Last edited:

The major difference would be the actualaction of going digging and going through the records you dug up. It isn't really comparable to spending hours browsing Youtube.

Yep. For me, I don't like browsing YouTube for anything. whether it be a sample or some meme video. Digging is fun. Comparing real world digging to browsing the web is like comparing hanging out at the mall with your friends to buying something on Amazon. Yes, at the end of the day both methods allow you to purchase something but they're two completely different experiences.

I mean you could have a USB turntable and you might as well be sampling off of youtube... vinyl is dope, a lot of people i know are sampling from cassettes now too

my first turntable was a numark tt-usb and mp3 like 192 or higher sounded better. so it was kind of pointless. my current chain is dope though.

it is what it is....me personally will never get tired of diggin...it is not just about the sample and the record you come out with it is the experience and that damn smell of record shops!

Sure hittin up youtube and being able to search for exactly wht you're looking for is easy...shortcut...but it will NEVER compare to diggin!

There are alot of records that aren't available on YouTube that can only be found by having the actual vinyl. Sometimes I like a song on a rare album, and I try to find other songs on the tracklist, but not all of them are always online. Not to mention that some samples are only available in 240p (yuck).

you guys should check out hip hop rally by Rob. he has posted some good blogs on where to find good e-samples

I like pitching my samples and records let me listen to the record pitched up or down before i commit to putting it in my DAW or an audio editor, that is why i prefer sampling records.

Back