Deep House Production

Lambo067

Hi all,

I recently took a huge liking to Deep House music. I'm looking to create the upbeat/happy deep house sound that say, kygo or thomas jack. Does anyone know where to start? I need to get good at this, it's all I want to be able to produce at the moment. If you have any tutorial videos that you can recommend, please leave a response.

Thanks everyone!
Lambo.

These kind of questions have been asked many times here before, and every time it does, I read and I just can't for the life of me figure out anything useful to say. Because I don't understand how we could help you create a specific genre of music..

I mean, what do you want anyone to say? So this and that and do this that way and there you have a deep house track?
If you know what it sounds like and you know what you want to do, then my answer is really nothing short of "go out there and do it". Then when you have gone that far is no different creating deep house than any other genre in terms of what skills and knowledge of techniques and yo software or hardware you need to possess. But this has nothing to do with deep house but music production as a whole.

So if you'd have anything more specific you'd want to know, please ask, until then, at least I am unable to help you out.

Good luck!

Edit: sorry about the weird writing and words out of place, I wrote it on my phone and it's too much of a pain to go back and edit it now, hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited:
Analysis of kygo and jack thomas is step 1

By this I mean listen, write out the structure for the tracks that excite

Once you have the structure analyse the instruments playing in each section

Then repeat and add in number of bars per section

Try to identify if the melodic material stays the same in each section or if it changes, label each repeated idea with a different capital letter

It is a good bet (but not always true) that if you have different melodic ideas that the chord are different as well

This time repeat and try to identify if the chords are the same in each section or if they change, Use a different capital letter to identify each new chord progression

try to then identify the progression in each section - use Roman Numerals to do this so that it is key independent and then compare the range of material that you are analysing to identify common ideas used

try to capture the big picture rhythmic ideas used in drums, percussion and bass

try to identify if the bass is using root movement only or other concepts like inversions, arpeggios or scale runs

it is a lot of work to do initially but it will pay dividends worth much much more

Last edited:
I have broken down some of their tracks before, as in structure.

But I can't seem to create some of the interesting synths they use, the only thing is, If I knew how to make their synths, I could spend time developing my own synths!

When your talking about capital letters do you mean; listen to the melody, and if 2 bars are the same, give each bar the same capital letter, but if the bar changes at all, change capital letter? Just I didn't follow what you were trying to explain.

Also, I was looking for some instrument packs that would be good for deep house production, i.e the natural sounds such as bongos, shakers etc. (shaker loops especially as they are hard to actually get sounding natural by piecing different shaker sounds together.) Or if anyone knows a good method of making a shaker loop please explain, because I do struggle trying to get them to sound natural!

For creating the synths, you need to experiment with synthesis. Also there are books out there about this topic that will help you understand synthesis and why it works the way it does. But what it all comes down to in the end of the day is how much time you have spent in front of your synths trying different things.

How long have you been making music?

A way of artificially adding some humanity to your shakers is by experimenting with different envelopes. I use a plugin called lfo tool by xfer, which is essentially an envelope and lfo based tool to apply different filtering effects and volume automations. With a little work you can create nice movement to shakers and other drums.

Last edited:
melodic ideas are usually longer - 8 or 16 bars it is a way of adding additional information to the sections you have already identified - some tracks use secondary melodies also and keeping track of where these appear helps in understanding the compositional choices made

I've been producing on and off for about 3 or 4 years, I started on FL but have moved to ableton for the simple reason Ableton makes life easier to master tracks!... I do have a fairly good understanding of synths for electro music, and progressive music, but it's hard to recreate some bell synths etc.

I'll look up the lfo tool plugin and see if I can come up with anything! Thank you!

So the idea of introducing new sounds (i.e a new synth or bass etc.) ? and I see what you mean bu secondary melodies, makes sense, thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do this!

I've been producing on and off for about 3 or 4 years, I started on FL but have moved to ableton for the simple reason Ableton makes life easier to master tracks!... I do have a fairly good understanding of synths for electro music, and progressive music, but it's hard to recreate some bell synths etc.

I'll look up the lfo tool plugin and see if I can come up with anything! Thank you!

Bell sounds.. Sounds like something that could be done well with FM synthesis.

Yeah, but it's tough to get the modulation right! but it's not just bell sounds, there's pipe sounds that sound kind of like wooden pipes too, and just general sounds like this!

For those pipe sounds you could try a combination of triangle waves with some noise, then you can modulate those a little with some lfo, as much or littl that sounds best.

look at some tutorials in whatever daw you use on youtube... it's going to be along journey cause making house isn't easy;.. that's a place to start.. also get some good presets...

Back