Dedicated Reason 5 Controller?

LmnLm3

Always Refreshing
I was all hyped and saving up for a Launchpad or APC20 and the Live buggered out on me (midi got really freaky, Ableton is useless.)

Anyway, I moved to Reason quite recently, and other than my Oxygen 8, which I think I'm selling this weekend, I'm just mouse and keyboard.

Are there any good controllers for Reason? Pref. something with native mapping? Is it best to get something like a ZeRO SL and a Keystation or is there some standard/preferred setup for using reason? I'm doing electronica and hip hop mostly.

Thanks all!!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Oh, and I'm on a budget! Can't wait for Reason 6 and the interface - gonna get me some of that! (talk about expensive...sheesh...) Anyway, for now I don't have a whole lot to work with - i.e. I probably can't affort the ZeRO SL MKii nevermind a SL49 or whatever. Not even sure I can afford an Axiom (but that's not native for Reason 5 anyway). You get the idea - where would you guys start out?

I just got the Akai MPK49, its sweet. But any controller will work just fine. If all you need is keys or drum pad for triggering or whatever. Use anything. Ive had the MPD, MAudio keyrig etc. I won an auction on Ebay for my MPK49 for like 260. So just find what you can afford. I sometimes go in to pawn shops, craigs list, this site...and see whats out there, determine what you need and can afford. I wanted more automation control which is why i got the MPK with the sliders and knobs. Also the drumpads are nice to have if you wanna rock out. I use reason and the MPK has a preset for it so it took nothing but plug up and play. Good luck.

I suppose I'll get an oxygen 49 and perhaps an mpk mini... I would like my faders and knobs to auto map, I guess that's my biggest "want" at this point. Will mpk mini knobs and/or oxygen knobs/faders map? or do I have to use a midi learn type thing?

Im using an Oxygen 49 mostly with Reason and yes , when it first detects it , Reason auto maps the faders/knobs , just remember to put your keyboard in Preset 10.

I'm looking forward to the Balance interface (if I can buy it w/o reason essentials....) Too bad no transport there :-)

This is why reason makes me nuts. MIDI should be MIDI. Those buttons should work like any HID device - I mean the space bar always plays the song, right? why can't the play button on the oxygen do the same thing...?

This is why reason makes me nuts. MIDI should be MIDI. Those buttons should work like any HID device - I mean the space bar always plays the song, right? why can't the play button on the oxygen do the same thing...?

I guess it's because transport controls work via MMC rather than the standard MIDI CCs. If it's not enabled or supported, it won't work. I can't say I know terribly lot about this subject, though.

reason 5 with mpk 25...great tutorial, on you tube....

MPK 25 tutorial, set with reason 5.

Got an Alesis Q49 (for $50 new I won't complain) and a Korg nanoKONTROL ($30) and yeah, the banks on the nano are not useful, but the transport works fine, and I have just as many knobs and faders and keys. Just takes 2 usb ports. Plus I can lock the nano to a mixer if I want to get levels set with my eyes closed.

ONLY downside is that musician's friend only had the white nanokontrol so I have a black keyboard with a white controller sitting on top :D

That's not really a bad downside for having spent $80 total. That's half the price of the Ox49 and as far as the MPK, the price is just way out there. Maybe if I was on a laptop, but with the left over money I got a launchpad to control Traktor Pro 2 (for DJing my music that I write!) which I'm selling to get a proper dj controller with soundcard, or possibly an MPD26 (wtf is with the missing knobs vs the mpd24? wtf akai/alesis/ion/numark??)

Back