daw/vst host hardware for live performance?

ihavezippers

Is there such a thing as a DAW/VST host housed in a piece of hardware that can be used for live performances? In other words, a substitute to taking my laptop to performances? I swear that I saw a little box that supposedly did this---you could transfer vsts over to it for live performances.

Please point me in the right direction if you know what I'm talking about.

Basically you have 2 options but for live gigs I would suggest a notebook together with ableton Live. The small box you are referring to could be the powercore. Its a firewire box with cpus which let you load vsts into it but you still need a laptop. Or there was a device called noah but i think it may be discontinued. In any case to really sync everything you will really need something like live.

the two boxes krushing mentioned you can pretty much treat as a midi capable sound or effects module, which is cool if you've got your **** squared away.

if you need flexibility though - i.e. stacks of softsynths+effects that you can switch the routing up on, you really need a notebook.

laptronica is stupid, yes, but right now a laptop is the most flexible live platform you can have. i shamelessly use numerology on a powerbook for sequencing and hosting a bit of stuff.

don't let the hardware junkies bring you down - there are some things you can only do with software.

the two boxes krushing mentioned you can pretty much treat as a midi capable sound or effects module, which is cool if you've got your **** squared away.

if you need flexibility though - i.e. stacks of softsynths+effects that you can switch the routing up on, you really need a notebook.

laptronica is stupid, yes, but right now a laptop is the most flexible live platform you can have. i shamelessly use numerology on a powerbook for sequencing and hosting a bit of stuff.

don't let the hardware junkies bring you down - there are some things you can only do with software.

OK Laptops are lighter, easier to move around.
DAW/Vst Hosts:
LIONTRACS Arranger type,but Linux based."Even though the Lionstracs instruments are not MS Windows computers, they can host all your Windows audio applications for you." along with vst/vstis. they have currently a rack version(GROOVE X-R), and a desktop version(GROOVE V-DJ) .I personaly liked a previus desktop model GROOVE X6D For the controls.
WERSI Expander EX-1. A windows-like environment (also arranger type) hosts vsti s but not windows DAWs.It still has its own multytracker (DAW)though.
The keyboards in OPEN LABS runs on windows! Anything you want: Dell manifactured laptops, D-Beat - the most useful windows-desktop-music-computer-controller surface, in one box - and its Keyboard brothers: miko and Neko.Name it:windows software applications and vst/is together.
SEELAKE AudioStation is a rack pc with its own softDAW,capable of running every other DAW of its time,(Logic,Cubase,Protools,etc.)and vsts / vstis.WITH lots and lots of I/O. 8ins 8 outs, 8MIDI INS/OUTS.
FEELTUNE Rhyzome is a groovebox (has sequencer inside)that is hosting VST/i s and looks more like an analogue sequencer with lots of buttons.They currently compare it to N.I Maschine,But it runs some kind of windows so it may run familliar applications.
All the above can host VSTs and VSTis, and either run windows music applications like cubase,live,pro tools,logic etc. or have their own DAW inside.
The below are VST Hosts only.you need a separate DAW application to run together with them.
MUSERESEARCH Receptor and its little bro the musebox, are vst-vsti hosts.
smproaudio V-machine and its bro V-Rack are also vst-vsti hosts.
chameleon synth net: Chameleon is another plugin host which currently hosts not VST-VSTis but "Soundskins".
Finally, Origin from Arturia is a hardware DSP system that houses several synthesizers in one machine.All in software.
But i'm sure there are lots of this kind around the world.
Anyway.I just noticed the date of the previous posts, and i laugh at myself.I was soooo late in responding!hahahah! but hey:i really wanted to write down what i found on the net.It is after all a nice source of info for the future.

Back