DAW Controller - Mackie Control Universal or MCU Pro??

esco111

Hi i am looking to buy a daw controller , i have been looking at the mcu pro and nearly bought one but found a deal where i could buy the older model and an extender unit for it for less than what i would pay for 1 mcu pro unit. I know the differences are one is usb and can chain the other units off it via the midi on the back of the mcu but does anyone know if the new model is that much better and worth forking out double on ??

Hi i am looking to buy a daw controller , i have been looking at the mcu pro and nearly bought one but found a deal where i could buy the older model and an extender unit for it for less than what i would pay for 1 mcu pro unit. I know the differences are one is usb and can chain the other units off it via the midi on the back of the mcu but does anyone know if the new model is that much better and worth forking out double on ??

I own an MCU Pro.

The current MCU Pro units use belt-driven ALPS faders, like the PreSonus FaderPort and a lot of other high end controllers.

The older MCU Pro units (and the regular MCU) use string-driven Penny & Giles faders, which are also used on some high-end controllers and follow automation more smoothly, but are more fragile and less reliable.

Buying a new MCU Pro gets you a more reliable unit with a warranty and a better jog wheel.
Buying an old MCU will save you some money.
The buttons are square-shaped on the MCU Pro (as opposed to circle-shaped), which is probably more cosmetic than anything else.
The body of the MCU Pro is metal. The body of the original is plastic.
Besides the things you and I have mentioned to this point, all other functionality is identical.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back