Dancehall/Reagae Computer softwares

selector waxx said:
i had a hacked version in the past from H2O crew

Steinberg need fi pay H20 some royalties cuz I wouldnt be making riddims if it wasent dem.

"ALL MODERATORS" I have a real copy which cost me a months rent.

ichi said:

NO one is ever going to say timbo, puff, et all are master musicians.

i will - timbo is a master musician

im not trying to offend ichi b/c i normally feel your posts but you are speaking way out of control in this thread

you have no idea how all cats use software, your comments are assumptions and generalizations

wonpeace said:

i will - timbo is a master musician

im not trying to offend ichi b/c i normally feel your posts but you are speaking way out of control in this thread

you have no idea how all cats use software, your comments are assumptions and generalizations

actually that example is a weak point in my argument; timbo *is* very good at what he does.

however, putting him on the same stage, much less in the same conversation as people like king jammy etc just doesnt fly.

nuff respect to the effort hes spent getting his licks down but seriously, he couldnt hoist any of the jockstraps of anyone on the studio one team, for example.

so although timbo does deserve some respect, i feel my point is still sound. growing up in front of a computer/mpc, tapping out beats simply doesnt stack up to 20 and 30 year careers of working with the most talented and visionary studio musicians on the planet.

and lets not forget that the jamaican masters were taking home about 100$ a track TOPS at the end of the day, after adjusting for 30 years of inflation.

timbo wouldnt record a mouse farting for ten times that ammount of money.

ergo ipso facto, _F*CK_ timbo, he isnt a master of anything beyond hip-pop.

ichi said:

growing up in front of a computer/mpc, tapping out beats simply doesnt stack up to 20 and 30 year careers of working with the most talented and visionary studio musicians on the planet.

and lets not forget that the jamaican masters were taking home about 100$ a track TOPS at the end of the day, after adjusting for 30 years of inflation.

ergo ipso facto, _F*CK_ timbo, he isnt a master of anything beyond hip-pop.
/B]

tim works w/ talented cats of today.
$ is not relevant as $ does not confirm or deny mastery of much beyond itself.
studio one was never master of much beyond reggae

watch as legacy grows ppl will nostalagize timbo and his ppl imho

wonpeace said:

watch as legacy grows ppl will nostalagize timbo and his ppl imho

shrug, he still cant hoist their jockstraps as a musician on his best day.

that said, no one is arguing he is one of the top 2 or 3 producers for commercial hiphop on the planet, and will be for many years to come.

good for him, im just not often impressed by the product.

im surely not saying i could do better than him, but mass appeal just doesnt earn points in certain arenas. a lot more people have heard celine dionne than miles davis, are you gonna tell me that miles davis isnt the superior musician?

wonpeace said:

studio one was never master of much beyond reggae

Clearly you jest.....Check your history before you spout out such misinformation...

Studio One started out as a Jazz label with some of the most talented musicians...teenagers at that...coming straight out of high school. Actual musicians who studied the arts...Coxsone & Studio One had developed into more and diversified and crossed over into other genres. Not just ska and reggae, but also jazz, blue beat, R & B, rock, etc...

Today's popular producers/musicians can not claim that...in fact, most cannot even spell music let alone read it.

- KB

spydakb said:

Clearly you jest.....Check your history before you spout out such misinformation...

Studio One started out as a Jazz label with some of the most talented musicians...teenagers at that...coming straight out of high school. Actual musicians who studied the arts...Coxsone & Studio One had developed into more and diversified and crossed over into other genres. Not just ska and reggae, but also jazz, blue beat, R & B, rock, etc...

Today's popular producers/musicians can not claim that...in fact, most cannot even spell music let alone read it.

- KB

youre asking someone who considers timbo a master musician to check himself?

hedge your bets ;)

most djs friends of mine that produce Reggaeton use FL and there favorite pluggin FM7

spydakb said:

- KB

i understand studio one released multiple genre recordings. but i do not believe that studio one mastered jazz

groundrules for mastery being accepted redefinition of genre attempted

timbaland re-defines hiphop. i dont believe coxone redefined jazz imho no disrespect. many reggae styles - yes of course

does reading music matter if you cant tune percussion? seriously we can walk through select studio one recordings together. most masters dont cover all of the asses that need covering

the best beat making programme hands down is buzz, check out some reggae beats made with buzz at, http://www.mp3.com.au/orchitis/ as far as i ve experienced no programme can make beats for you, one easy way to get the rythme your after is listen to your favorite beat and then get a free demo plug in called drumagog,(check the site for info), use a mic(as crappy as you like you wont need the recording after, play the beat you want stomp the floor where you want a bass drum and slap the table when you want a snare, record the rythme you want(dont worry this is going somewhere) ok load drumagog and insert your recording of stomping and slapping, drumagog can replace the sound while preserving the rythme then programme the hh you want add some percussion and most importantly the bass
hope this helps

(most djs friends of mine that produce Reggaeton use FL and there favorite pluggin FM7) this is not what you want to produce dance hall unless you want electro dance hall honestly for reggae you need real sounds not synth ....e a real bass is a must even is you use a sample of a real bass, synth bass is not capabale of the relaxed finger plucked rythme of reggae

Well I may be a little late to this forum but let me say as someone who's been exposed to this music since about 80/81(when I first heard Diseases) I wfeel that you must know the music in order to create it!! I agree that there is no software that you can but that can teach you how to make it!! To me the music is exploited now to the point that in order to fully understand it you would have to get you some Yellow man/Bob Marley/ U-roy/Tiger/Supercat/Sister Nancy/Lady ann/Shelly Thunder/Early Shabba/or some of them circa 1981 broadcasts of the Gil bailey Show on W.H.B.I. to learn this music!! Seriously you have to have love for this and every other type of music that you try to do!! as The Xtra P once said(Youre fakin the funk) if you think that you can go by whats put out right now!! Hell for every Sean paul there is an Admiral Bailey/ for every Elephant man There is a Tiger or eek a mouse.. Dance hall has changed but the art of making the music has not!! My suggestion is to get some of these records see who did the beats wether King Jammys,Tubby, Sly & Robbie etc.. and study them I mean really study them. Please note that reggae artists put out records at an insane rate so the styles change but if you listen close you will hear how much the riddims stay the same.. Ie the sean paul Im still in love with you track..thats an old joint re worked as many riddims are recycled to fit todays sounds..Cheaters!! Bring back boogie man Barry G and the Sagittarius Band!!

Mr.Chris said:
Dance hall has changed but the art of making the music has not!!

please explain how the art of making the music has not changed

seriously this statement is absurd!

Homey I challenge you to use the other side of your brain.. Understand that Dance hall music was made by real bands not drum machines!! then by the mid 80s came the infusion of rap music which created the new dancehall style.Pay attention LOL once that occured then it became easy to make the music with hiphop styled beats. Meaning In order to make real reggae music you would have to go back and study the masters before you can understand the music. So How real is That?!! Futhermore Dance hall has Changed from the way it's made but understanding how to make it has not ..Meaning you should'nt need any computer program to teach you how to do that as music is something you feel in your soul and is expressed in song,, Now if thats absurd then so are your methods for faking it LOL...

Mr.Chris said:
Homey I challenge you to use the other side of your brain.. Understand that Dance hall music was made by real bands not drum machines!! then by the mid 80s came the infusion of rap music which created the new dancehall style.Pay attention LOL once that occured then it became easy to make the music with hiphop styled beats. Meaning In order to make real reggae music you would have to go back and study the masters before you can understand the music. So How real is That?!! Futhermore Dance hall has Changed from the way it's made but understanding how to make it has not ..Meaning you should'nt need any computer program to teach you how to do that as music is something you feel in your soul and is expressed in song,, Now if thats absurd then so are your methods for faking it LOL...

There are several "real" bands that use drum machines to play their music. A drum machine is as much an instrument as any other instrument.

80's dancehall was far from infused with rap music and from my recollection, there were no hip hop styled beats in dancehall in the 80's.

There is no reason why someone who is exposed only to say, Big Mountain, can't make "real" reggae music and understand the music and Big Mountain isn't really considered to be one of the "Masters" of reggae.

Computer program or music teacher....it doesn't really matter how you learn. Music and its genres have to be taught to each person somehow. Being taught by a computer program doesn't make a musician any less "real".

if i had to paraphrase both sides of this exchange, i would say;

'a reggae/dancehall producer uses software to make his music, but a reggae/dancehall musician will use whatever is available to make his music.'

nahmean?

Back