Creating extended mixes for DJ use

Hi there,

I'm a DJ who is wanting to get into music production to create extended mixes for my performances.

Doing a little research on the topic has really confused me, so I hope you guys can answer my questions.

1. Music software wise it appears that it is all based on personal preference. Any suggestions? So far I've really had my eyes set on Ableton. (Using a Windows 7 machine).

2. Majority of the tracks I'm wanting to create extended mixes for I have the original CD's. My plan is to rip the tracks in Wav format and edit them. I also plan to use some of the instrumentals on the CD's to create the extended mixes.

I was thinking that ripping the tracks in 320 mp3 lame and then editing them wouldn't be the best, seeing as though the finished product will be exported as a Wav and then converted to 320 mp3 lame.

Going from MP3-WAV-MP3 will mess up the sound quality?

Looking at the spectrogram of my 320 mp3 lame tracks I've been told that 20-22K is normal for that type of rip. I'm wanting to keep that same quality with my finished product.

3. Is it a necessity to have other hardware such as a MIDI keyboard? If so what for?

4. Are there any beginner tutorials that can help with what I'm wanting to achieve?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back