could someone recommend me a small COMPACT midi keyboard?

mguz11

I am looking for something small and compact i can fit in my backpack when I need to work on the go. I have been looking at the m-audio axiom 25 but after reading some reviews on it, it sounds fairly toyish feeling. Could anyone point me in the right direction? peace and love

I've got an MPK Mini and honestly, it's great. The only thing missing is a Mod/Pitch wheel... besides that, it's what I need and it's right for me. Maybe an upgrade one day, but for just something to use here and there, I can't really fault it. If the mod wheel and pitch wheel are more of a need for you, try the M-Audio Oxygen 25, they're pretty good from reviews

dope thanks for the reply brotha! Mpk mini huh? ight ight i will look into that. I do own a akai mpd 32 which i really enjoy, so maybe that will be a go for me. I just want somethin that feels good too. But the mpk seems pretty legit. And mod and pitch wheel wont sway my decision because i can just program that stuff in reason. But thanks for the help

Yeah, I thought that it would be a big issue when I used FL, but there's automation envelopes for that as there are with reason... What I also found cool was that for pitch and mods you can assign them to the knobs for Reason... If you don't want pads (The MPK has them) then go for the Oxygen, then you have pitch, mod and knobs as well as the pads and faders from the MPD, but that's only if you want to hook them both up. If you JUST want the keyboard with some pads, then the Axiom and MPK look like good choices.. see if you can find a local shop to try them out or something first though

Is the mpk 25 too big for mobile on the go type production? Cause that looks pretty dope, but I'd rather get the mini if the 25 is too much hassle to lug around in a backpack.

After using the Novation SL MKii... it's hard for me to recommend other keyboards. They have a 25 key version. I would choose that in a heartbeat.

I also used to have an old MAudio Oxygen 25 v2. I liked it at the time... was nice n compact. Got rid of it after the mod wheel started messing up. Should be able to find em for pretty cheap.

Yeah I was looking at the novation stuff. Kind of would like some sample pads on it but I suppose u can always use the keys to sample.

bro, get one that is on the list in fl studio as accepted controllers, i made a mistake and bought an alesis controller over m-audio cuz i tought that alesis was a "better" brand...in reality, the alesis didnt even work with fl, the transport controls didnt work right, play, stop.etc.... the m-audio's are not really like toys...they are pretty good and chances are it dont matter how the keys feel, its not gonna make ur music any better....get over your feeelings about brands and quality. Idk...

^That's decent advice.

I did most of my work on an MAudio Radium49. They keys suck, but i still made some of my best music.

I only got the Novation SL 49 b/c I wanted to treat myself. I figure if i'ma spend a lot of time on keys, i'ma want to enjoy it. So, now i'm spoiled lol.

If you have a small budget... it's best to get what's definitely compatible and has the features u need. If u want pads.. i'd look at the Akai stuff then. The Novation SL's pads are not very good at all. Usable... but not fun. But... you could always add a Korg padKontrol to your setup if you want the best pads. I feel the Akai MPK pads need to be upgraded to be fun to use. They are not the same pads they put on the MPC. Much cheaper feel. But... a simple pad sensitivity kit does the trick very nicely if you aren't afraid to unscrew your board and install em.

Back