Could I pull this off?

Bentley

Alright so I want to start DJing in clubs and I am pretty sure most clubs have all the equipment except the laptop (correct me if I am wrong) basically I am going introduce my skills with a mix I am making off Virtual DJ. I know the basics of VDJ record, beat matching, sampling, and the basic effects that come with it and my song selection is top notch depending on the vibe but the only thing is I can't transition as fast as I would like to from song to song. My friends don't notice but personally I want them to sound as clean as possible. Has anyone else ever done this? How did it go? Any tips would be appreciated.

I got 1200s at home I just can't use them because I don't have serato but I got a good feel for them. Only thing I am worried about is not having cue points set up. CDJs not so much but I think I can manage.

Do you have a DVS? That'd be step one.

Step two is you're applying to do something professionally with no experience other than being on your laptop in your room auto-syncing mixes in VDJ. Not to diss you or anything, but aside from song selection, what can you actually do? Spend some scrill and cop some wax seeing as you already have 1200's, and learn the right way, don't take the easy route like the rest of these fake DJ's.

Do you have a DVS? That'd be step one.

Step two is you're applying to do something professionally with no experience other than being on your laptop in your room auto-syncing mixes in VDJ. Not to diss you or anything, but aside from song selection, what can you actually do? Spend some scrill and cop some wax seeing as you already have 1200's, and learn the right way, don't take the easy route like the rest of these fake DJ's.

1. What is DVS? I did a good search and it sounds like what Serato is. I already have Serato installed on my laptop with all of the BPMs added on all of my music. I have my own needles too (Shure 44)

2. I never auto-sync, I can beat match/juggle w/e you call it by ear. I even made my own loops for the longest time until I figured out you can automatically do it. Several people that have listened to my mix says it sounds like someone DJing in a club even when I mess up they can't even tell.

3. I don't have a job or money to "cop some wax" the whole point of me to start getting in the mix now is to buy more equipment so I can keep practicing and being innovative and because I think I would be good at it and better than a lot of DJs out there already. There isn't much of a difference between VDJ w/o tables and Serato except you have turntables and a mixer (for me atleast) because I use VDJ just like the real thing except I can't be as efficient because I am using a mouse

4. I can't do much except beat match/juggle with a really good song selection and I am thinking since I am DJing in a club that's enough to get me far. I have read a lot of reviews about clubs on Yelp (most of them being horrible because of the song selection) and people don't care about scratching and talking on the mic.

I am really not jumping into this as a newb. I have been clubbing enough to know the vibes, my song selection is really good, all of my music is very organized, properly tagged, bpms, etc.., I have looked at reviews for all the clubs that play hiphop, top 40, etc, and wrote them all down with brief descriptions. It can't be that disastrous...

Then what the ****? If you have Serato and 1200's and know how to DJ then why don't you just bring your Serato box and laptop to the club and play?

http://www.cratekings.com/dj-house-shoes-on-non-vinyl-djs-j-dilla/
Watch that video of DJ House Shoes from 3:00 onward. Applies perfectly.

I don't have the Serato box that is the problem I just have the software installed on my computer, you can get it from free from their website. I can't afford it right now.

as far as i was aware i thought u couldnt use the serato software without the box? the software is useless without the hardware, thats why its free aint it?
from my experience, most dj;s use pioner cdj's and the rest of us are on vinyl or vinyl serato tho if you not playing at an actual proper club where they have proper dj;s then the chances are the club wont have decks and just have cdj's of some sort. cdj;s are most common to in lower level clubs/bars etc that i see which is prob where ul play first.
u can use them laptops also with the controllers also ive seen tho no disrespect to anyone who does that but it aint really proper dj;in if u do it on a laptop unless ur not bothered about that, at least with vinyl and cdj;s u can show ur skills more, u say u have 1210's so id say save and get serato it well worth the investment.
u can allways get some cases for ur decks and charge more and bring ur decks and mixer down as i sometimes do, tho when ur startin out ul do well to get any money at first, good luck tho

If I owned a club and you came in doing something with only Virtual DJ I wouldn't hire you. Just my opinion, but probably theirs too.

You can use the Serato software w/o the box but its next to worthless but it allows you to gather BPMs beforehand and tweak settings. I have no problems using Serato on cdjs or vinyls, I don't know why anyone else does it won't make anyone a better dj its just super ****ing convenient. Anyway I am a quick learner I can get use to using CDJs. Trust me I want Serato I have used it before its genius but I really can't afford it right now, the whole reason I want to take this risk is so I can get that money to buy more equipment.

dland I respect your opinion but I am only using VDJ for the mix I am presenting to club owners to get in the door then using their equipment to DJ with. I don't plan on using VDJ to DJ in clubs.

dland I respect your opinion but I am only using VDJ for the mix I am presenting to club owners to get in the door then using their equipment to DJ with. I don't plan on using VDJ to DJ in clubs.

Just make sure the club you are presenting to has their own equipment! haha

Yes I know you need the box, its very easy to set up especially when I have the software already installed, that is what I am hoping for and kind of asking if clubs have their own equipment setup since Serato is the club industry standard and all. Thanks for the advice

Every DJ I've ever met has taken their own Serato box to clubs. Unless you know some unusual club that has their own or a TTM57, you'll need to buy a box.

Every DJ I've ever met has taken their own Serato box to clubs. Unless you know some unusual club that has their own or a TTM57, you'll need to buy a box.

Don't most clubs provide a mixer? IDK some might have the Rain mixer on deck which I think has Serato built into (the TTM57 you mentioned) that wouldn't sound unusual to me (it is pricey though). If thats the case then looks like I can't move on unless I get that black box.

Most clubs have either a TTM56 or a Pioneer DJM-whatever. DJ's are usually expected to bring either wax, CD's or a laptop and DVS box.

Best bet is to get the box yourself and be official.

Back