Controllers vs 2 Turntables and a Mixer

1stlineofdfense

Hello guys,

Im a newbie, thinking about getting one of those Vestax DJ controllers with the two turntables and mixer built in one but everywhere I look, people are using two turntables...Am I just being lazy?

I hear that the controllers are not good for scratching, is there one that is actually good for scratching if I were to get a club gig?

I'm sure you can do simple scratches, but I can already see some basic problems that will occur.

One of the first problems that comes into play is not having a spinning platter. You can't mark where the sound starts. On a record, if the sound starts at 12 and ends at 3, you have that duration of sound to use and you know where to pull back to. I'm also assuming that those fader are cheap too. Scratches and twiddles are going to be even harder to learn, being that the spring motion that the fader makes after it pushes off the thumb won't be as smooth as it would be on a Rane mixer.

Then there's beat juggling, how you gonna do it if the platters don't spin?

I'm not sure where you, but the DMC regionals are coming up. Go check that out and see what they're doing. Then think to yourself if that can be done on a controller.

it depends on your skill level, i used the vestax vci-300 and was scratching like a champ with it. i have the numark ns7 as well and the platters are motorized so they move like vynil. any dj that says controllers arent good are afraid of new technology and will soon be left behind. i stick to using a controller and serato to prove it can be done. and i have gigs every weekend. i stay booked up without even looking for gigs any more. oh and for the record dj's used both the vestax vci-300 and numark ns7 at DMC youtube it.

it depends on your skill level, i used the vestax vci-300 and was scratching like a champ with it. i have the numark ns7 as well and the platters are motorized so they move like vynil. any dj that says controllers arent good are afraid of new technology and will soon be left behind. i stick to using a controller and serato to prove it can be done. and i have gigs every weekend. i stay booked up without even looking for gigs any more. oh and for the record dj's used both the vestax vci-300 and numark ns7 at DMC youtube it.

thanx bro u awnnsered my question perfectly

If you got the answer you wanted to hear then the discussion is over, but don't disregard what johnpuga1982 said. He knows what he's talking about. Plus real turntables are sweet.

Really depends on what your aspirations are. If you're just trying to do the side-DJ thing as a hobby or to make a few extra bucks with some scratching as a bonus then do what you wanna do.

If you ever watched a video of the DMC shit and were absolutely amazed, impressed, and inspired, then go for the real tables.

Peace!

If you got the answer you wanted to hear then the discussion is over, but don't disregard what johnpuga1982 said. He knows what he's talking about. Plus real turntables are sweet.

Really depends on what your aspirations are. If you're just trying to do the side-DJ thing as a hobby or to make a few extra bucks with some scratching as a bonus then do what you wanna do.

If you ever watched a video of the DMC shit and were absolutely amazed, impressed, and inspired, then go for the real tables.

Peace!
what the **** are you talking about buddy? dont come with that sideways message board talk. and you're right the discussion is over so cut the shit everything u said is irrelevant. Get it? Got it? GOOD. GONE!!

I see that you're from Austin, Texas. You should go check out DJ Mel at Nasty's on Monday, see what he's doing and what equipment he's using. Here's some video I recorded at the "Rusty Spur" during SXSW.

YouTube - DJ Shiftee at the Rusty Spur in Austin, TX (3-15-11)

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

oh and for the record dj's used both the vestax vci-300 and numark ns7 at DMC youtube it.

This is an incorrect statement. I just did support for the DMC Southwest Regional (3-26-11) last night in San Antonio, Texas. The competition is sponsored by Rane and Serato, therefore the equipment used in the battle are two technics, either a Rane ttm-56 or ttm-57, and Serato.

This year was the first year the competition allowed any type of software based program. Being that Serato and Rane have a partnership, only Serato was allowed. There was a time when Vestax sponsored the event, but only their mixers were used.

DJ Shiftee and Craze are both DMC World Champs who are sponsored by Traktor, but neither of them use Vestax or Numark anything.

you should look things up before you think you are right about things.

here's DJ i-Dee at the 2009 DMC championship and he's using the NS7:

YouTube - DJ i-Dee and NS7 at the 2009 DMC Championship

Correction, "you should look things up before you think you are right about things." If you read the title of the video, it says "DJ i-Dee and NS7 AT the 2009 DMC Championship." The key word it that is "AT." He may have been an exhibitionist, but he WAS NOT a competitor. Check the DMC link.

Also, the duration of that video is 9 min and 57 secs. At the World Championship, battles between contestants are 3 mins and 6 mins long. Eliminations last 3 minutes and the final last 6 minutes.

Results 2009 - DMC World DJ Championships

Championship Rules - DMC World DJ Championships

Last edited by a moderator:
did i say they were competitors or did i say they were used AT the DMC championship? i never stated that they were competitors. you should read what i said. i have answered this guys qustion which is what this post was about so its done. and its obvious that you dont like new technology. younger DJ's are using controllers more, vinyl is old in my opinion so get with the times or get left behind. people dont still carry brick phones from the 80's in a pouch on there side do they? NO, they have iphones now. times have changed and technology is going full speed. all of these companys like pioneer, numark, vestax , and xone to name a few wouldnt be releasing contollers for no reason. i answered the question that this post was about and im officially done.

what the **** are you talking about buddy? dont come with that sideways message board talk. and you're right the discussion is over so cut the shit everything u said is irrelevant. Get it? Got it? GOOD. GONE!!
You high bro? His post was nothing but helpful and correct.

You are the newbie asking for help, might want to read what seems like 'sideways message board talk' a bit more thoroughly.. you might learn something bro.
Also, I'm not being a total hater, I think you genuinely didn't get the flow of homies' response to your OP, so yeah: just thought you should know you were way up the creek with beef jerky for paddles..

post script: DEFINITELY get turntables - Sure, you can scratch ok-ish with controllers (and by ok-ish, I mean some non-intricate, emotionless scratching), but nothing compares to the feel/responsiveness and actual fun of actual turntables (as opposed to digital controllers playing at being turntables). Controllers are a blight and aid at the same time.. blight due to creating quite a few low-skills Djs to compete with, and an aid for the same reason, go figure.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

haha.. just realized that original post was from March 2011.. guess it's too late, another controller only soldier in the fray..

many times skill is the limit rather than the tool... i use all kinds of setups but lately i've been sticking with my cheapest setup just to prove a point... (mixtrack pro)

I've got serato, i've got turntables, v7's, vestax and all that... but sometimes it's nice just to plug and go.

yes you can scratch, beatjuggle, mix and much more...

With the cue points it's actually easier than vinyl sometimes... but don't get me wrong i do love vinyl still lol.

Back