Construction Kits: The Verdict?

on some real shit, if i got a hot loop.. synth or WHATEVER.. i'l throw so much shit on it and make it mine, ITS MINE NOW! its like the way i say whattup, is differnt than the way the first fool came up with "Whats UP" ..... i say, Wuuudddupp.. that fool said "What is up?"

Thats my shit now, that loop yall sold, that shit is mine now. fuk it, nobody think twice, I GOT THIS! (samples aint no differnet)

Not the best IMO example, found in one google click, but dope, real dope don't wanna take anything from this guy....and this beat has all the essence of a sampled hip hop track while being completely royalty free. If Dre made it people would call it genius.

yep yep YUUP! Thats what im sying.. we all have FL Slicer and shit simular.. WTF is people TALKING ABOUT?!!!!!!!! seeee, thats like he said, not the perfect example, but GET TO WRK AND DO SOMEHING! and sorry, my wireless key boad out of batterys sippig keystrokes but im not retyping fuk a typo

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

again, sorry, m canig my eboabateries, i wont do that agin with the missspelled shit, but that example is cool tho yo, 4rill tstmnium iwould do, good shit tho non the least

(im gonna leave that bull shit, because its funny to mee, my batteries are changed and I cant BELIVE how many typos i just caused) LMFAO *****!!

Last edited:
Like you just take the loops they have and make a beat out of them? is that what yall do ^^

Word though, construction kits are waste. Imagine going to meet with an artist and pulling out construction kits.
I used them when I first started bt never felt good about the final product, feel much better doing my own thing.

what's the difference between using a guitar loop from a construction kit and hiring a session guitarist? both times it's not you actually playing the instrument.
This opinion blows my mind.
If this is really what you think you should stop making music immediately.

These threads are always amazing because of the overwhelming number of people who cant even really understand why using loops is looked down on by some people.

Its like people are so lazy and so talentless that their own subconscious tricks them into having no real pride.

The end product is all that matters?
You have the same amount of pride in "your" beat, whether you actually made it or not.
If that is true, you are lying to yourself on a real deep level.

Anyway, I always come back to this;
If you guys really feel that way, why are you still making beats? Why not just buy beats off of other people who are actually talented, and put em up as your own?
If its the end product that matters, then why not take the most efficient way to the best product?
Someone who thinks loops are great, please answer that.

Some of you see no difference between a sample and session player so I cant see how there is a difference between a beat you bought and a beat you bought the pieces of.
"No assembly required" lol

These threads are always amazing because of the overwhelming number of people who cant even really understand why using loops is looked down on by some people.

Its like people are so lazy and so talentless that their own subconscious tricks them into having no real pride.

You have the same amount of pride in "your" beat, whether you actually made it or not.

If you guys really feel that way, why are you still making beats? Why not just buy beats off of other people who are actually talented, and put em up as your own?
If its the end product that matters, then why not take the most efficient way to the best product?

Some of you see no difference between a sample and session player so I cant see how there is a difference between a beat you bought and a beat you bought the pieces of.

So I guess producers who use session players are lazy unless they wrote out every piece for the session player? I mean that's all you're getting with construction kits are session player loops. No difference between having a session player there with you. Also no where does it say I have to use a loop as is? It's easy to chop it up. Add filters and other effects to the point where it's not even recognizable.

And on to your point on pride. It's not the end product that's important it's your vision that's important. I can give 10 different people the same loop and they'll make ten different instrumentals. Why? because they're working toward their vision and each of them have a different vision of were they wanna go. Think of how many people have sampled the amen brother drum loop or the funky drummer loop.

So I guess producers who use session players are lazy unless they wrote out every piece for the session player? I mean that's all you're getting with construction kits are session player loops. No difference between having a session player there with you. Also no where does it say I have to use a loop as is? It's easy to chop it up. Add filters and other effects to the point where it's not even recognizable.

And on to your point on pride. It's not the end product that's important it's your vision that's important. I can give 10 different people the same loop and they'll make ten different instrumentals. Why? because they're working toward their vision and each of them have a different vision of were they wanna go. Think of how many people have sampled the amen brother drum loop or the funky drummer loop.

How can you compare getting together with musicians and putting together a piece vs downloading a construction kit and dragging the files into your DAW and calling it your piece?
I`m a beginner and I would even feel ashamed of using construction kits. When you get together with say a guitarist, you speak music, talk scales, modes, progressions, counter melodies, to compliment the work you`ve alreadt done.
Not download a construction kit and start dragging random loops on to your DAW until something sounds good. Anyone can do that...

Save that type of art for "behind closed doors" because to get into the studio with other producers and artists and ask them to show you what you've got and you bust out a hard drive full of ready to go loops...wouldn't look to good.
Yea sure maybe some people would buy the beat when they hear it all done, but if I where an artist I wouldn't have faith in someone who does that to make my vision cme to life. They'd have to go through a whole lot of loops lol

1. Most beat makers are super wack compared to people making construction kits......even producers with plaques.

2. Why would I pay some dude $300 for an mp3 file? And then end up in a legal dispute later. All producers online are setting people up...they are scam artist and don't even know it. I can buy one royalty free construction kit that has five kits of beats in it..that all blow away the beatmaker selling me a beat.....for 90% of the beatmaker's price.......24 bit wav files. No co producer credits for you....all credit for me!!!!! So what if over 5,000 people bought the kit...another 5000 illegally downloaded it...I'm the one nominated....those other suckas can have fun biting my style because now the site where I bought the kit from got me all over it....because now I'M A SUPER PRODUCER by default. $30 for construction kit.....$270 on some Jordans.

Plain and simple.

Shit is funny man........construction kits are taken to a level that now companies have chopped up session musicians and made their licks keyshwitchable......meaning you hold one key and strum your ass off...sweating and shit like you recording with a guitar for real. Hold one key and you playing real orchestra epicness....keyswitching construction loops......now you broke producers have just gotten wacker now...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!! What are yall going to do.......illegally download 300 gigs? Shit....if you had of just not paid your internet bill for a year...you could've bought the shit at the same amount of time. But now you lost your got damn job because you called in three days in row to download some super epic shit.

lol....makes no sense to use those outdated guitar patches and shit. Want somebody to pat you on the back and say good job because you made all of those Native Instrument sound come together to sound like it was a live band for real......only to find out a construction kit blows that away. Now dudes want to prove people wrong by being the next Justice League...........by their self........O.K...we will see how far you go with that and your keyboard...as Trinidad James releases his next classic.....produced by the guy who used a trap construction kit.

Last edited:
Word though, construction kits are waste. Imagine going to meet with an artist and pulling out construction kits.
We can make up stories all day. Since it's you imagination, what does happen? Tell us.

I used them when I first started bt never felt good about the final product, feel much better doing my own thing.
I think this is perfect and explains EXACTLY what I am talking about. YOU felt there wasn't enough going on when YOU used loops so YOU didn't feel right. So YOU made a personal decision not to use them.

Why not just buy beats off of other people who are actually talented, and put em up as your own?
Self-serving question to say that everyone who makes beats is talented because of their workflow, which is the ONE you think is right.
Suppose I want and buy a beat from a guy that uses loops?

It also suggests that EVERY loop is useable and good because it's a loop. And there is never the EAR of me deciding which loop to use with what- in what role.
Which in reverse suggests EVERYTHING YOU PLAY must be good and useable because you played it and EVERY BEAT you make is great because you made each element close-enough-from-scratch to say it's yours.
I don't know anyone why said this was Black and White so I have no idea who is supposed to be answering this.
The IDEA is exactly that- to approach music-making from the most efficient way possible to get at the BEST RESULTS.
Read that twice before you skim past it and say you still don't understand this issue.

Need a guitar element in a song. Don't have/play guitar. You could:
a) Use a guitar loop.
b) Sample a guitar from a record
c) Play a guitar patch from a workstation (soft or hard)
d) Hire a session guitarist.
e) Take guitar lessons

I would make my decision based on my current needs, time constraints, resources and how often this scenario arises and the overall IMPORTANCE of this guitar element.
I would NOT base it on my EGO. And lastly don't confuse pride with ego. Two different things.

=============================================
I can give 10 different people the same loop and they'll make ten different instrumentals. Why? because they're working toward their vision and each of them have a different vision of were they wanna go.

Interesting way to see it.

So I guess producers who use session players are lazy unless they wrote out every piece for the session player? I mean that's all you're getting with construction kits are session player loops. No difference between having a session player there with you.
Lets get real. Most people dont really have any idea what happens when a player is brought in to play on a track.
Almost none of you have actually seen that happen.
You are imagining what it would be, and cant.

This is why this discussion is so completely off;

A lot of people somehow imagine that the musician comes in, sets up, and just starts playing whatever comes to their mind with no input. Or maybe that the producer says 'You know, somethin funky.', or whatever, and thats it.
People who have no concept of music as collaboration or as a creative process somehow cant understand how it works.
Like TDOT replied, there is a lot of back and forth that happens when you hire someone to play on your track.
Its not like you put them on random and record to have shit to chop up later.
Well, maybe some people do that. I dont know.

Well here is where I get shitty and question peoples' "vision".
What are the chances that a loop that you randomly stumble upon just happens to fit into the "vision"?
Fukking zero-ish.

The real reason why?
Cuz most people are just fukking around. Banging buttons. Chopping shit up. Seeing what happens.
There is no 'vision'. Its random banging around with barely understood tools.
Thats what I am doing a good 60% of the time.

A real vision for a track, had by someone who does not play instruments, is exactly why studio musicians are important, and are not anything like using a loop.

And something like the amen break or funky drummer is a totally different thing. Those are used (nowadays) because they are a particular thing. They are a famous sound on their own. Its not like every single D+B producer over the years stumbled across the amen break on their own and thought it was great. They copied each other on purpose.
What we are talking about here is randomness. Grabbing a random folder on a random sample disc, and thinking 'yeah, that guitar loop might work.'

1. Most beat makers are super wack compared to people making construction kits......even producers with plaques.
Ok, agreed, but heres some logic for ya;
Producers making beats with construction kits are exactly as wack as the kit.
So.... if they are so hot, I will buy beats from those guys.

2. Why would I pay some dude $300 for an mp3 file? And then end up in a legal dispute later.
-Cuz its a wav and you sell it for $800.
-You get a contract and a lawyer.

I can buy one royalty free construction kit that has five kits of beats in it..that all blow away the beatmaker selling me a beat.....for 90% of the beatmaker's price.......24 bit wav files.
Ok. So maybe I flip your beats then. :P
Or maybe I flip the ones a lil better than yours, etc.

No co producer credits for you....all credit for me!!!!!
Oh no. My purchases would include ghost writing. No credit for you once you sell to me. :berzerk:
How much would that cost?

Say it costs double your regular asking price.
Say I do that to the ten hottest producers I can find.
How long til I am the hottest producer you can find?
See?
Would you call me a biter/sucker?
Or would you give me respect like the others, because I am successful?

suckas can have fun biting my style because now the site where I bought the kit from got me all over it....because now I'M A SUPER PRODUCER by default.
lol- "Your style"?

And good luck there SUPER, with your construction-kit-site sponsorship lol...
Great career move, Im sure.
Just screams 'legit musician' to clients.

hold one key and strum your ass off...sweating and shit like you recording with a guitar for real. Hold one key and you playing real orchestra epicness....
Oh, great.
Yeah, have some pride in that.
You are literally just pressing a button... lol.

What are yall going to do....
Maybe, learn how to be a musician of some kind?
Learn how to play an instrument?
Learn how to 'play' more than one fukking key? Maybe?

...illegally download 300 gigs? Shit....
Oh Im sure you are 100% legit with all your sample discs lol.

lol....makes no sense to use those outdated guitar patches and shit.
Right, cuz then you have to press more than one key lol. Ugh, hard.
And dumbasses out there, playing guitars even lol.

Want somebody to pat you on the back and say good job because you made all of those Native Instrument sound come together to sound like it was a live band for real......only to find out a construction kit blows that away.
Its called pride in ones craft.
It is seriously kind of shocking to see that no one has it, or is interested in having it.

End results, right?
So;
Im interested in the ghost producing thing...
Serious question-
How much would you charge to sell your hottest tracks every month, anonymously?
Im buyin mofos. ;)

Why not just buy beats off of other people who are actually talented, and put em up as your own?
Self-serving question to say that everyone who makes beats is talented because of their workflow, which is the ONE you think is right.
Suppose I want and buy a beat from a guy that uses loops?
Not everyone that makes music is especially musically talented.
And that top 3% is more talented than the bottom 97% can even understand.
To say it in a way that seems more the vibe of FP these days- Some beats are much more commercially viable (i.e. Saleable) than others.
And in this scenario, I dont care if he is using loops. I am trying to see things from the other point of view, and imo, buying ghost productions is the logical next step.
Even better if they use loops really, cuz then its easier for them, and they have more product for me to buy and flip.

It also suggests that EVERY loop is useable and good because it's a loop. And there is never the EAR of me deciding which loop to use with what- in what role.
Which in reverse suggests EVERYTHING YOU PLAY must be good and useable because you played it and EVERY BEAT you make is great because you made each element close-enough-from-scratch to say it's yours.

I dont know how you would come to these conclusions.
Completely backwards logic.

Also- Defending loops by distilling your creative input down to deciding which loop out of pile to use? Dayum.

I don't know anyone why said this was Black and White so I have no idea who is supposed to be answering this.
The IDEA is exactly that- to approach music-making from the most efficient way possible to get at the BEST RESULTS.
Read that twice before you skim past it and say you still don't understand this issue.
Right, efficiency is valued, so that is why I asked- Why not take the most efficient route and just buy/resell beats?
Only people who value efficiency over all else really need to explain their stance on that.

Need a guitar element in a song. Don't have/play guitar. You could:
a) Use a guitar loop.
b) Sample a guitar from a record
c) Play a guitar patch from a workstation (soft or hard)
d) Hire a session guitarist.
e) Take guitar lessons

I would make my decision based on my current needs, time constraints, resources and how often this scenario arises and the overall IMPORTANCE of this guitar element.
I would NOT base it on my EGO. And lastly don't confuse pride with ego. Two different things.
I might have a different order of steps there, but I basically agree with your process, although I dont understand what you mean by the difference between pride and ego.

Not the best IMO example, found in one google click, but dope, real dope don't wanna take anything from this guy....and this beat has all the essence of a sampled hip hop track while being completely royalty free. If Dre made it people would call it genius.

Just saw that. I think thats a great example of a more "legitimate" way to use loops.
To me that is really just sampling, and the source happens to be a loop.

Last edited:
I had this beat back in the days that I had pride in. Dope beat. Let local rappers hear it.......same ole same ole talk......."MAN!!!! I need dat....how much you want.......let me record to it first"........Nah man gots to get something. Two years later I put it on the internet for $1000. A year from then I put it up $300. Sold it for $200 a year from then. Where is the beat? IDK.......hell....I don't even have the session for it.....it was three computers ago. lmao! Never heard the rapper rap.....never knew the rappers name.....but I made good use out of that $200 ....in my belly. Wish he would've blew up off of that shit.....so I could sue him later. Dammit...all of that hard work for a beat to be giving to a rapper that ain't did shit with it.....for $200.

Pride in an instrumental album that's hitting the market....that you are going to do some things with on a personal level...like perform and all that good stuff

yeah...be prideful. But to sell for an artist......pride needs to be swollowed...because now it's not about your beautiful music...it's about giving an artist a product that people will enjoy. You have to share the artist with a bunch of other people......that sucks.

Ever noticed that the filler stuff on albums from unknown producers seem to sound better than the single stuff beatwise? Those producers all like "man....my shit sound way better than all that other shit...and he was singing all off pitch on a bunch of them shits..they can't fuuck with me"........he saying that while still getting a check because of the construct loop producer with the single......all on David Letterman with the artist.....the artist like "this my producer so n so....we go way back".......he ain't do nothing but one got damn song on the whole album lol. Hmmmmmm.

What's worse than construction loop kits? DJ packs. But oh.....the plan is to scratch them....filter them...blend them.....ect. Still sucks.....

Last edited:
@Highkoo, I've actually made good money being a "session instrumentalist". A good childhood friend of mine and former production partner went on to "play" on songs for Timbaland(Hannon Lane).

I've seen what session musicians do hands on for my entire time doing music(since 1993).

I find it interesting that you've convinced yourself a GOOD session musician has so much "back and forth" discussion with the producer. usually that's a sign the musician in question isn't meshing well(at least from my experience).

I have personally seen PLATINUM recordings from reputable producers that began with a session musician just riffing away. I've seen the same from a track already done, but "missing something" and a session musician hopping in with a few riffs to the most before hearing "that's it'.

Both of these scenarios are absolutely equivalent to popping in a cd full of riffs and finding one that meshes with your sound. Especially when it fills a void you knew was there but had no clue of what was missing.

The same can happen from calling in a vocalist to "doowop" in the background of a track, if you don't have a vocalist, why not rely on Vocal planet, or Apple Loops Choirs collection? If you try to do it all without either of the 2, you're just left with a voice or some voxy sounding choir synth that doesn't quite hit home.

Also funny you've yet to post any music whatsoever. I've waited to hear your music based on this view you have, guess you're still "perfecting", huh? :cheers:

Whenever all that hard work actually turns into a song, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I think the problem here is that people are confusing the term composer with producer.

Isn't the role of a producer to arrange pieces together, not necessarily make those pieces from scratch?

Me personally, i need to understand why the original sample, loop, kit sounds the way it does. I am more interesting in understanding the theory so i have the option to create something from scratch.

My problem was that i use to look at Timbaland, Kanye and all these other guys like modern day Mozarts and Beethovens lol. I use to think that they locked themselves in a room with pen and paper and bang out notes out from some divine, godly source then translate that original composition to full songs via tools (mpc, computer, pro tools etc) lol.

This is a little bit more impressive to me...

than this:

@highkoo: I think you have brought up some interesting points and like a lot of what you have said and how you think.
[aside from the weird tangent with you and rice_street lolz]

The only thing

"Right, efficiency is valued, so that is why I asked- Why not take the most efficient route and just buy/resell beats? Only people who value efficiency over all else really need to explain their stance on that."

That's what I meant with black and white. It's extremes. It's also a case of running into that purist direction.
ANYTHING taken to extremes runs into a wall eventually.

To go to the end, NO ONE [on this site] should be making music AT ALL.
There are no BANDS on here. No real COMPOSERS.
A workstation should NOT exist. Nor should MIDI. Nor should SAMPLERS.
No electricity should ever be used in music production. We should all sit around in a circle surrounded by acoustic instruments. That would be real. No quantize. No sequencing, no recording. No undo. No copy and paste.

That's real. Everything else is faking it.

The moment you say "C'mon, no need to go that far..." is the moment YOU draw a line for YOURSELF.
Take your ideas about this to the hornets nest.

Take your MPC to a drummers forum and see what they think of you...
Take your workstation {hard or soft} to a musician's forum and talk about your playing.
Take your samples to the copyright office and see how creative they think you are.
Take you Cubase MIDI track to a composer...

Your knee-jerk response is "who cares about them? I don't make beats for their approval I..."
And boom, you see the point.

=====================

I can easily name 20 positive reasons for using loops.
I can't name 1 reason for someone who doesn't want to.
I can't say someone should use ALL loops.
But I can also show you someone who is against loops, but are using them all the time. They just don't know it.

A better question is how is sampling from a construction kit any different than sampling from a record? Unless we are at the point where we all feel sampling is just dirty and wrong or feel that we have to create music by our selves in order to validate what we do. A lot of people only add pieces to a song bands in particular. The drummer doesn't generally come up with guitar licks. How is this any different?

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

How can you compare getting together with musicians and putting together a piece vs downloading a construction kit and dragging the files into your DAW and calling it your piece?
I`m a beginner and I would even feel ashamed of using construction kits. When you get together with say a guitarist, you speak music, talk scales, modes, progressions, counter melodies, to compliment the work you`ve alreadt done.
Not download a construction kit and start dragging random loops on to your DAW until something sounds good. Anyone can do that...

Save that type of art for "behind closed doors" because to get into the studio with other producers and artists and ask them to show you what you've got and you bust out a hard drive full of ready to go loops...wouldn't look to good.
Yea sure maybe some people would buy the beat when they hear it all done, but if I where an artist I wouldn't have faith in someone who does that to make my vision cme to life. They'd have to go through a whole lot of loops lol
What about something like a percussion loop? Its hard to get a real sounding percussion loop without either playing the actual instrument or using a loop of some sort. I am no where near against any form of music making but I think some people are purists about the wrong things. Who cares if you used a royalty guitar loop in your track because you don't play guitar? If it fits the situation and works with everything else what difference does it make? Its not like these construction kits are fully created tracks. They are usually separated parts like strings, brass, piano, drums ect.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Just saw that. I think thats a great example of a more "legitimate" way to use loops.
To me that is really just sampling, and the source happens to be a loop.
that's how most people use construction kits these days.

I'm using construction kits from now on just to piss people off. SOOOO.....placements are about to roll in. lol! I ain't chopping them or nothing. I'm going to kick everybody ass in Rocbattle using construction kits with no chopping...just straight loops.

Bout to turn into those producers who wear them ole "I'm a real producer" hats. I used to not like those type of dudes....but hey.......construction loops and the hat...I get it now....they alright with me.

Will.i.am%2005%20DIGITAL.JPG

See.....you just can't wear the hat....you have to have the "I know what's hot" attitude. You have to huff a lot....."{huff}...woooo boy.....that trumpet loop is just not meshing right with those tambourines and shaker loops......let's try something else........shall we......need a loop with more ooomph....if you will......something like......LIKE A TUBA!!!...........DAMMIT.....WHERE IS A TUBA LOOP WHEN I NEED ONE!!!!{huff}"

Last edited:
the kits i have, its like a tracked out beat. you can throw the drum loop in the slicer and play as please, nothing will sound anything llike the OG. or use the single drum hits just to make some matching drums on the quickness,, or if i DO use a loop, its a guitar or sumthing, its not like i completly steal the shit. I dont even use them 90% of the time, but they are there and I WILL use them if i want. pitch shift and eq also fx make them completly legit. i dont feel NO SHAME! have you ever reversed a sample? so many things you can do.. GTFOH with that BS talking about OH, PULL A CONSTRUCTION KIT OUT ON A SESSION its not even like that, if i use them i change the shit so much, i will track the final beat out and you can take that shit to trial i swear my tracked out session will be on some creative original shit.. its almost like yall tellin' me not to sample. i used to think like that.. USED TO! not no more.

Go to a session with a well known artist and pull up a loop from a construction kit and build around it. You think they care if it's from a construction kit or a 50's indian record? **** no. They just care it sounds hot. Only producers are egotistical enough to have to program every little thing. If that's the case then you should be designing all your sounds and never using presets.

Back