Confused about audio interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goute

I'm a complete beginner on the subject, and can't seem to find answers so here I am! I'ts about audio interfaces in general, but focussed on the Saffire Pro 14.

I read a lot of good reviews about the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 and it lies within my budget (<€200).The specs:

"Firewire Audio-Interface with 8 In- and 6 outputs and two Focusrite Preamps as well.
The Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 is an 8 in / 6 out FireWire audio interface designed for the modern home studio environment. An unparalleled preamp legacy forms the foundation, with two award-winning Focusrite preamps. Legendary sonic performance and both digital and analogue I/O combine with Focusrite´s established MixControl software to deliver seamless integration, excellent routing flexibility and rock-solid driver stability.
Features:
Two HQ Mic Pre Amps by Focusrite Low latency JetPLL Jitter-Elimination-Technology 4 analogue inputs, balanced Mic/Line/Instrument, 1/4" TRS & XLR, 24Bit/96kHz 4 analogue outpus, balanced, 1/4" TRS, 24Bit/96kHz S/PDIF In-&Output, coaxial, 24Bit/96kHz (I/O 5+6) Software Loop-Back input at driver-level MIDI I/O Saffire-MixControl: DSP-Mixer/-Router Focusrite VST/AU plug-in suite and Xcite+ software bundle"

It's all pretty confusing to me...
- Pre-amps --> What are they for?
- These analogue inputs; can you use those for.. let's say an old moog prodigy, or a newer nord lead?
- The anlogue outputs, what could you use them for?
- When using the analogue input you can only record the audio going in. You can't play with midi notes in your DAW, right?

Might be silly questions, but I can't find answers to them anywhere...

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
Goute​

P.s. If you know of a good article or video tutorial on this topic, please shoot!

It's all pretty confusing to me...
- Pre-amps --> What are they for?

Pre-amps are used to bring the signal up to higher level - especially useful for microphones which generally have low output voltages (millivolts) compared to most hardware synths (volts)

- These analogue inputs; can you use those for.. let's say an old moog prodigy, or a newer nord lead?

Anything that can plug in to a mixer or stage amplifier can be plugged into these

- The anlogue outputs, what could you use them for?

Connect to your monitors or a cassette deck to record or to a reel-to-rell machine to record

- When using the analogue input you can only record the audio going in. You can't play with midi notes in your DAW, right?

No, you can record both the audio stream as well any MIDI stream that is being generated at the same time unless your DAW doesn't allow this.

Great thank you so much!!

Anything that can plug in to a mixer or stage amplifier can be plugged into these

So the vintage synthesizers with a cv/gate would work on it?

Last edited:
A bit more elaboration regarding the analogue inputs/outputs: all the sound we hear is analog sound; digital "sound" is just 0s and 1s and needs to go through an digital-to-analog converter for it to become audible (that's what happens when the sound leaves the computer - it's a string of binaries, which the converter in the interface turns into audible stuff). So the i/o being "analogue" doesn't have any bearing on what kind of sources it can be fed; it can be an analog synth or a digital synth or a farting alligator (through a mic) - anything that puts out sound from its outputs can be fed into the analog ins. And the outputs can of course be used for all kinds of stuff besides tape recorders & reel-to-reels. If you have any outboard effect, for example, you'd use the analog outputs to take your signals into the effects unit, and then back to the computer through the inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back