Computer for a music production

dominic94

I am looking to buy a desktop computer for music production and wondering what kind of specifications DAW's needs ? For example I want to use FL studio, Does CPU and RAMs is the most important thing what music software requires from computer ?

Yes, but if you plan to have more monitors with your computer than you will need better graphic card, also it is important to have good cooling system.
I don't know how much vst's do you plan to use and will you be using the rewire option and similar, but I assume 8 gigs of ram and 2.7 - 3.00 gh will be enough (dual or even better quad core, in that case you may need less gh). You have a lot of threads about that on forum and also on google so try to see there a little.

Last edited:
The most important thing is getting a good CPU and the trick with RAM is to get as much as you can afford into the first two slots only, that way you can add more RAM to the empty slots without tossing sticks you already paid for, like ideally you want to upgrade by adding shit rather than swapping shit, I would also recommend a second internal hard drive just for audio but you can add that later, for now just get the best CPU you can afford.

P.S. you can also use onboard graphics to cut the initial cost down and add that later if you want and I definitely recommend having a decent graphics card, I usually go for shit which doesn't have a noisy fan on it....speaking of fans bigger is better because they can move more air at lover revolutions, like if your power supply has a big fan rather than a small one it's going to be quieter....no fan is better but you absolutely need to keep your shit cool.

Last edited:
Look into getting a Gaming Pc, since they have built in cooling systems, and all the top of the line parts. If I had to get a PC I would definately look at Gaming Pc's, sure some of the stuff you might not need. But you can probably look around and find a model that will work for you.

I would rather get a good top of the line computer that isn't gaming than pay for specs that are lower. Save your money for an audio interface or a synth.

Deals2buy.com

I bought my xps 8500 for about 900 before hand.

Back