Computer Audio and Soundcard Help Needed for DJ Performance

skatinjack28

Hello,

I am a new-ish electronic music producer. For several years I have been making and recording tracks on various DAW's and I am looking to begin DJ-ing and performing my work using Ableton. My knowledge about some of the technical stuff, however - sound cards, amplification, etc - is moderately low.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could explain to me what audio equipment/hardware I need for DJ-ing. I am not talking about "creative" equipment such as MIDI controllers and whatnot, but more wondering how exactly most DJ's link up their computers to PA systems and amps. Is it as simple as connecting a 3.5mm cord from the headphone jack of my computer to a mixer via a 3.5mm to 1/4in converter plugin? Or do I need more complicated equipment such as external soundcards?

Also, I have a specific problem: The headphone jack on my computer is broken. I believe this fact alone necessitates an external soundcard, but could be wrong about that as well.

If anyone would be willing to impart their knowledge and experience in this field upon a novice, it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to overexplain.

Back