Composing Programs... ie. sequencers!

D

Dj Mush

Hey,
thx for the help so far..
so far i've downloaded some sequencers but none have been particularily good and have only had a few options.. could i have a suggestion of a good sequencer that will allow me to compose trance...
thx all.
peace
dj mush

Which sequencing programs have you tried so far?

Be careful don't get confused: a sequencer doesn't produce any sound, it is the program where you write the notes, and you control MIDI DEVICES (real synthesizer or software synth or sampler) which are generating the sounds.

CUBASE VST is a good choice because it allows you to load VST INSTRUMENTS. These can be samplers, synthesizers, effect racks, etc.. and you control htem within Cubase. So then the sequencer DOES generate sound virtually and it is easy to save a songa s ONE CUBASE PROJECT FILE.

Sequencer:: Cubase VST 5
VST Synthesizer: NEON, PRO-FIVE, RAINBOW...

THough, you'll get much better results if you buy a real synth (a cheap CS1X yamaha would be awesome for trance sounds) and you will control it from Cubase.

YOu will love the tutorials we are preparing, until then, post any question you have.

download

is there anything that i can download for free to just mix my own music? i want to be able to choose the content of what i am mixing i dont want the pre recorded stuff.
If so where can i go to download it???

I only know of one Free thingy, and that is (again... this is getting tedious) Buzz.
You can import samples or make your own sounds. Free extra machines like generators and effects, it's all at:
http://www.buzztrack.com

DJ Chriss: Buzz buzz buzz :) it is a great program, however it is very hard for newbies you know? THat's why I redirect them to ReBirth, in order for them to understand the basics of a 16 steps 4/4 sequencer, etc..

You are absolutely rigth, but Buzz if FREE. That is sometimes the main thing.
I think that ReBirth is a little expencive now that I got Buzz, because of the inabillity to make synthmelodies.

But hey, newbies out there. Don't take me wrong. Rebirth has a really, really great sound and it is easy and sleek.
You can make your own "Mod"'s with your own samples.
It is really a great beginners program.
Buzz on the other hand has got quite a crappy sound the first long period of time.

So. Pay attention to what ManoOne says!

need more help still

K i'm getting to the point where i'm willing to pay up to $200 for a good self explanatory sequencer cuz i can't really make sense of the others... so suggestions please... and what in the world is the difference between .wav, .midi, and .mp3...
newbie terms only, ie. english restricted to minimal sylables... thanx all... still trying...
dj mush

A complete GLOSSARY is coming, with every words defined, because it is important (this is an important internal-info).

Read the tutorials as they are published as well, they'll cover all the things you want to achieve.

WAV: is a standard sound
MIDI: contains NO sound at all, only data, like an electronic music sheet
MP3: compressed audio

As ManoOne said: What programs have you already tried out?

Also: 200$ isn't very much. Reality costs 380 $ and is considered awesome in the prizerange.
And then you must remember that you cannot use Reality by itself, it has to have a sequencer to connect with.

When will the confusion stop?
aka. when will the tutorials start to come up on this page?

DJ Mush,

Well there is one covering MP3 and Audio CD so far, and one covering REBIRTH is coming very soon, very detailed.

What exactly would you like to know? Post your questions, and people will help you out as much as they can ;)

The thing is that sequencers are not super easy to use, and you still need a few months in order to really feel comfortable writing yoru music.

As to answer to your initial question: any sequencer enables you to write trance music... The sequencer doesn't generate sounds itself, and it is meant to be used to "write" the notes, and to control synthesizers (which are generating the sounds when you send a note control to them from the sequencer)

Take care hope this helps. I guess you'll need patience to learn all this stuff :)

[Edited by ManoOne on 10-04-2000 at 07:37 PM]

Thanx

Hiya. I would just like to say thanx for all your info in here. I found that interesting. Would you be able to tell me what you think is best between a MAC G3 and a MAC G4 cube and what equipment you could connect up to either to begin to produce hard house sounds/hard trance?? Also could you tell me more about sequencing, midi ports, how they work and some more general definitions of equipment and what it does. Thank Q!!!

Hey rhian,

Interesting questions. Glad you like the site.
A glossary of words is coming, well organized and exhaustive, full of definitions. It is not ready yet but will be here shortly.

I am not a Mac guy at all, but I assume a Mac G4 cube would be better than a G3. As for sequencing, I always push ppeople to get:

. Cubase VST 5
. VST synthesizers: Pro-52 (quite decent virtual synthesizer), LM-4 (excellent virtual drum module)
. Non VST synth: Gigasampler or Gigastudio (decent virtual sampler, reading AKAI CDROM even)

You can control all of these synthesizers and samplers within Cubase VST, on MIDI tracks. It's music, so you need to know a bit about notes, but its really fun and pro.

If you are a keyboard guy, get a controller (200 USD or so) which is a keyboard. It will not make any sound but will be helpful to record live what you play (controlling the selected track, which can be a VST synth, the drum module, gigasampler, or anything else a track is assigned to).

Hope this help. I am thinking more and more about making an introduction to Cubase VST as a tutorial (MIDI connections, first steps..). It takes times so stay tuned ;)

a MAC G3, are you talking about Imacs ? well you got the imac 500 which is very nice, the cube is great but I find it a little bit expensive (Apple makes their design very expensive !). I think the Imac could do perfectly the job for trance or house. For audio, no PCI on both, so you can have an USB interface like the Roland UA30 or the DATport by Opcode. For midi interfaces, same thing USB...check the ones for PCs...
For the softs, most of the major ones are avalaible on macs (cubase, rebirth,...).

My advice get the Imac, Cubase, Rebirth and Reaktor ! :D

Hiya, Thanx for the info. V appreciated. just like to say your site brightens my day up at work!! hehehe! with a bit of avoidance of the web monitors!! speak t'ya soon luv rhian

Need buzz stuff

I am newbie, i have no money but i have buzz, i need to know how to use it. i am trying to make industial with a shot of trance and dance, i also need a free program for vocals. i use cooleditpro now but it is only a demo and i need to save. i want to try to sound like forced, if you don't know them they are on mp3.com any advice,programs, waves, and info would be great for a starting and staving student.

(Are you magically delioius?)

Back