COMPOSERs, PUBLISHERs, and PROs - Oh My!

Thanks again for your efforts Nathan, and congrats for being a publisher now! There's a question I'd like to ask. Aside from convenience, are there any heavy reasons to use your local PRO (for example, here in Finland we only have one called Teosto) instead of choosing one that resides in a different country, say UK or USA for instance?

Dear Miikahh,

That is a great question, I believe you can only be signed up to ONE PRO at a time (as writer and publisher, however it's different if you only publish other peoples music, more about that latter) and if you want to stop using your PRO, you have to give them 3-6 months notice. Make a informed decision here.

Call Teosto and ask! Everyone is really friendly at these places. Ask something like, "I am going to sign up to a PRO, what's the difference between Teosto and a PRO like BMI?"

They should be able to answer any questions you have. The PROs all do the same thing, track who uses your music via a CUE SHEET. At this particular moment I cannot give any advice as to how this works because, I have no idea! These places have been doing this from the beginning of the music industry. All I know is, if you are running around as a non-PRO. Your wasting time. How do I know? This is what happened to me last year.

I was SO misinformed. Do not take anything for granted or overlook anything in this business. READ those "Terms and Conditions." They are boring but once you start to talk like a professional. You will go along way.

Thank you on the congrats! It's a big difference. It's like a LICENSE to KILL! Well...PUBLISH. I already have good news, but that's for the end of this post.

Keep those questions coming and good luck to you Miikahh!

Sincerely,

Nathan Luis Steinke
Owner/Composer/Publisher
www.liftedCREATION.com

Last edited:
dope read bro, def gonna update my bmi today

Thank you SwagProductionz,

This is so important to new musicians, it's a scary step...REGISTERING your music, COPYRIGHTING your music. It's really easy and overlooked. I am just like everyone else, I love going to my studio and making music. But that's only half of your business if your an independent artist, the other half is making sure your music is making you money. That's the boring business side, MAKING MONEY!

Let's not forget WHY you want to be a rapper or producer, besides spreading your message of love and hope...you are doing this for MONEY! So many of us new musicians are going to these media marketplaces and just making mistakes. The FIRST MISTAKE is not going to a PRO and registering first, that's before you cruise over to your stock marketplace and upload ANYTHING!

On another note, your going to want, LEGIT software here folks. If you hacked and pirated your software, you have NO LEGAL rights to any of those samples. You could end up paying MEGA fines and jail time. So.

Before you make mistake number one. BUY YOUR DAW. I know. I spent $400 on reason 4 and then another $200 for the 6.5 upgrade. If you can't afford this, (Reason is CHEAP folks) then you need to GO TO WORK and save up. NEED TO. Otherwise get out of this business. This "independent artist" movement is actually SELF Employment. It takes guts to get to the glory part. Most people, in general, can not run their own companies. Only 5% can. 95% can not work for themselves. Make sure your in the 5%.

Thanks for the compliment SwagProductoinz, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors this year.

Overall, this is a great post. Thank you Nathan. You have helped out a lot of people.

Dear Desire Inspires,

Thank you for your kind words. I really hope a few people out there are looking at this going post going...HOLY CRAP! If you read between what I am saying you should find MEGA dollars, but sadly, most of us "musicians" are too lazy.

Once I heard that the ONLY thing keeping me from being successful was....LAZINESS.

I stopped what I was doing and focused directly at learning to place in Film and TV. One thing I am not, is lazy so...That's good for me!

If your on soundclick, and that's IT for your business strategy...YOUR LAZY! Your not hitting the 5%. Your in the 95% bracket.

Sorry, soundclick makes money FROM YOU, you don't make money from soundclick. Again I mean that to read M O N E Y!

Take it easy,

Nathan Luis Steinke
Owner/Composer/Publisher
www.liftedCREATION.com

P.S. In the next few posts I am going to talk a bit about copyrighting your material and then on to making the bacon!

UPDATE: I am so very sorry, I have been very busy this week but I promise to have information about copyrighting and preserving your intellectual property.

Until then I am very happy to announce that I submitted my first tune to the ASCAP as a WRITER and PUBLISHER. So far it was very straightforward, takes a couple days for the paperwork to clear. READ EVERYTHING. There's videos and FAQ's and tutorials, you can even "CALL" them on a dime.

THIS IS IT folks. Listen you don't have to register all your songs with a PRO. No one really cares. Why would "THEY"? But YOU should care. Take time to inform yourself. Registering my newest song was a SNAP. You don't even have to upload anything. There's no keywords to enter. No description. Just. Hi, I composed this, and published it, and want to register it like EVERY other musician that has gone before me.

Past the word along. Registering with a PRO is the first step. Don't make this mistake and listen, if you need, keep it non-PRO for now. Make those 50 tracks, cut them up. Make teasers, stings, 15, 30 and 60 second ads, looping cuts and intro/outros. Make MUSIC then, learn how to make it better, then REGISTER. GOT IT? Good.

Now go get'em!

Last edited:
Thank you SwagProductionz,

This is so important to new musicians, it's a scary step...REGISTERING your music, COPYRIGHTING your music. It's really easy and overlooked. I am just like everyone else, I love going to my studio and making music. But that's only half of your business if your an independent artist, the other half is making sure your music is making you money. That's the boring business side, MAKING MONEY!

Let's not forget WHY you want to be a rapper or producer, besides spreading your message of love and hope...you are doing this for MONEY! So many of us new musicians are going to these media marketplaces and just making mistakes. The FIRST MISTAKE is not going to a PRO and registering first, that's before you cruise over to your stock marketplace and upload ANYTHING!

On another note, your going to want, LEGIT software here folks. If you hacked and pirated your software, you have NO LEGAL rights to any of those samples. You could end up paying MEGA fines and jail time. So.

Before you make mistake number one. BUY YOUR DAW. I know. I spent $400 on reason 4 and then another $200 for the 6.5 upgrade. If you can't afford this, (Reason is CHEAP folks) then you need to GO TO WORK and save up. NEED TO. Otherwise get out of this business. This "independent artist" movement is actually SELF Employment. It takes guts to get to the glory part. Most people, in general, can not run their own companies. Only 5% can. 95% can not work for themselves. Make sure your in the 5%.

Thanks for the compliment SwagProductoinz, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors this year.

Dear Desire Inspires,

Thank you for your kind words. I really hope a few people out there are looking at this going post going...HOLY CRAP! If you read between what I am saying you should find MEGA dollars, but sadly, most of us "musicians" are too lazy.

Once I heard that the ONLY thing keeping me from being successful was....LAZINESS.

I stopped what I was doing and focused directly at learning to place in Film and TV. One thing I am not, is lazy so...That's good for me!

If your on soundclick, and that's IT for your business strategy...YOUR LAZY! Your not hitting the 5%. Your in the 95% bracket.

Sorry, soundclick makes money FROM YOU, you don't make money from soundclick. Again I mean that to read M O N E Y!

Take it easy,

Nathan Luis Steinke
Owner/Composer/Publisher
www.liftedCREATION.com

P.S. In the next few posts I am going to talk a bit about copyrighting your material and then on to making the bacon!

UPDATE: I am so very sorry, I have been very busy this week but I promise to have information about copyrighting and preserving your intellectual property.

Until then I am very happy to announce that I submitted my first tune to the ASCAP as a WRITER and PUBLISHER. So far it was very straightforward, takes a couple days for the paperwork to clear. READ EVERYTHING. There's videos and FAQ's and tutorials, you can even "CALL" them on a dime.

THIS IS IT folks. Listen you don't have to register all your songs with a PRO. No one really cares. Why would "THEY"? But YOU should care. Take time to inform yourself. Registering my newest song was a SNAP. You don't even have to upload anything. There's no keywords to enter. No description. Just. Hi, I composed this, and published it, and want to register it like EVERY other musician that has gone before me.

Past the word along. Registering with a PRO is the first step. Don't make this mistake and listen, if you need, keep it non-PRO for now. Make those 50 tracks, cut them up. Make teasers, stings, 15, 30 and 60 second ads, looping cuts and intro/outros. Make MUSIC then, learn how to make it better, then REGISTER. GOT IT? Good.

Now go get'em!

Great Thread!!

Back