"Commercial Rock" tutorials?

Greenred

View attachment preview.mp3

Hi I would like to know how can I learn to compose this kind of style? Are there any specific tutorials on this "commercial rock" style?

If not, then where should I start to get this kind of guitar sound and what kind of drum loops should i look for?

Many Thanks!

View attachment 43009

Hi I would like to know how can I learn to compose this kind of style? Are there any specific tutorials on this "commercial rock" style?

If not, then where should I start to get this kind of guitar sound and what kind of drum loops should i look for?

Many Thanks!

An amp
Drums that you need for the song..

It takes time to learn so, well get started learing to how to mix and master. You'll need to learn compression, EQ, Limiting, ( I suggest Waves.com) or lot of compressors lined up in a row will do.

You'll need to learn how to make it sound "clean". Remove the hiss by a gate. You'll need to learn that. You'll need to learn quite frankly how to make really good music with really good mixing skills. Using effects.

So get to know a DAW. Get to learn it's effects. For that song Ableton would probably make it real good. It is really clean and not too dirty sounding. Possibly from what I understand maybe Cubase is clean too but that's a guess. You def want something professional and clean in the analog area unless it's super high quality.

One piece of software that will make it worth while to get "that" achieved guitar sound you want in your mind in GTR3 by Waves.com. Not to be confued with Guitar Rig which I don't recommend at all no matter it's popularity. GTR3 by Waves.com is outstanding here's a link to some of my guitar work using it. I hope you will be able to hear the guitar well. The only thing I can really say is, well I hope you can see it really does sound good. https://soundcloud.com/anthony-lowery/opposite I have other guitar work on soundcloud too, but that's a link to one of them for the purpose of hearing GTR3.

Also it totally totally totally matters what pickups you use. For that big clean bluesy kinda creamy sound I suggest Seymour Duncan. I would feel free to go check it out now to see how they sound. Ofcourse though you may not be interested in playing a real guitar, because to achive that sound might be difficult. And, it is. So here is a link to a thread about where to find sounds. You will have to search hard. Perhaps I have found a site that sells guitar work before but I forgot where. Perhaps there is something here on this link. https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ng-started/heres-where-buy-sounds-yay-485809/

One alternative is to use a guitar VST that is clean and play it through the GTR3 amp and effects. That would be like a Vst guitar into an real amp but playing the Vst on the keyboard or midi. It is actually pretty cool, I've done it before.

SO either you can find a sample library from here. Or you can buy a real guitar and learn how to mplay exceptionally well and use ffects to make it sound "clean". Those are your best bets because I don't presume VSt softare alone can do a good job.

On top of that further Lassy, haha, come to think of it Kontakt NI is probably your best bet. They have tons of stuff like that I think.

Best bets.

Cheers.

Last edited:
another noob pointed in the direction to go buy some expensive plugs he doesnt need..im sorry but he doesnt need GTR or any waves plugins(which happen to be the most expensive plugins out there) to do this. Its about processing the amp you have, which all daws should come with, not going out and buying the best gtr amp plugin out there. And I'm not sure where you are deciding that ableton would be daw to make this kind of sound..they all can man..like your giving good advice, but you're giving so many wrong impressions at the same time.

What specifically would you like to know?

I can map out the chord changes and the bass line and what the drums do no problem

it uses only A-C-G-D and E power chords, there are a few riffs used, mostly in the bass line but doubled by the guitars, drums and guitars are hitting key points together rhythmically

I can dial in the guitar sounds

but I would advise against trying to do this with synthetic instruments without an intimate understand of the underlying subtleties of playing bass and guitar - there are slides and cross string playing that would not come out well with a simple library approach to string allocation (imagine having two notes allocated to the same string - the sound would be wrong and the library should lock up)

sounds themselves (as in the amplifier tones) can be dialled in using rammfire or guitar rig - I'm hearing a grungy sort of Ampeg 8 x 8" speaker cab and bass tone, as well as some gnarly transistor type sounds for the guitars, although you can get the same sort of tones from a Mesa Boogie, you would be better served looking for Peavey's "Peavey Special" saturated tone or maybe a even the Laney 50w 12: single speaker cab tone - an alternative might be to use an old organ amplifier-speaker rig (this track has that "Smoke on the water" tone, if you know what I mean)

I'd also be writing the drum parts out completely rather than relying on loops - you will not get those dramatic hitting together points if you use loops

Last edited:
Actually, I bought GTR3 for 70 because they had a 70 dollar voucher special going on. For 140 you can get 20 Amps, 20 effects, 20 mics, and 20 cabinets or just about that or something. Waves Universe has it for about 115. No doubt all products sound different and that goes for the effects and instruments in each DAW themselves. So like you said yeh, I'm a noob. I agree. Couldn't agree more. Thank you. I'll stop being a noob. Sorry, yeh you're right.

You really don't need Waves plugins is right. Some may help but many will be overly distorted with analog behavior. So You may want to stick to mostly Ableton Live or Cubase. I do recommend Waves Limiters for Mastering and making it all even and flat and up front. Or you can put on Ableton compressors like 4-16 in a row. That does the job too. So hone your skills and find your way around the money problem with learning how to make youre own limiter with compression.

I have plaid Ableton Lives normal straight electric guitar instrument through GTR3. It might be with work possible to do everything that song has to offer. But that would certainly take work on some of the riffs where it gets squealy. Certainly I can find out if you like as I own ABleton Live and GTR3, so just feel free to ask.

Just some noob advice.

Faith Fox

Actually, I bought GTR3 for 70 because they had a 70 dollar voucher special going on. For 140 you can get 20 Amps, 20 effects, 20 mics, and 20 cabinets or just about that or something. Waves Universe has it for about 115. No doubt all products sound different and that goes for the effects and instruments in each DAW themselves. So like you said yeh, I'm a noob. I agree. Couldn't agree more. Thank you. I'll stop being a noob. Sorry, yeh you're right.

You really don't need Waves plugins is right. Some may help but many will be overly distorted with analog behavior. So You may want to stick to mostly Ableton Live or Cubase. I do recommend Waves Limiters for Mastering and making it all even and flat and up front. Or you can put on Ableton compressors like 4-16 in a row. That does the job too. So hone your skills and find your way around the money problem with learning how to make youre own limiter with compression.

I have plaid Ableton Lives normal straight electric guitar instrument through GTR3. It might be with work possible to do everything that song has to offer. But that would certainly take work on some of the riffs where it gets squealy. Certainly I can find out if you like as I own ABleton Live and GTR3, so just feel free to ask.

Just some noob advice.

Faith Fox

you could have saved a lot of time by reading my comment properly. I was calling Op the noob and it wasn't an insult to him.

lol

Last edited:
Back