Choke on sand! Wonk attack. [F4F]

Oriax

Ok, so here is my second completed track. Looking and of course returning feedback. This track is also unmixed/unmastered, if you have any advice on that it would help me a lot.

Enjoy!

I'm loving the FX and the bass but i feel like the synth (the synth itself, not the melody) doesn't really fit in there. I'd suggest you mix the drums so they're a little louder, other than that i think it's dope. Keep it up! :)

Little to slow for my liking but it's got some good movement, would be cool with some vocals over the top.

Before I expand on helping you with mixing and mastering, what style were you trying to take with this, It reminds me of old school dubstep, before skrillex came into play.

it's actually a sub genre of that style... it has weird out of tempo basses. it's called wonky or wonkstep.

Last edited:
Essentially, you need to learn to use EQ and Compression. And it's been a while but reverb on this track is causing a lot of problems as well.

The melody, bass, and wobble bass are in the same frequency region. You need to poke out a s**t ton of mid frequencies so they don't conflict.
or
make the wobble bass a mid section only
make the synth an octave higher
make the sub bass on it's own in the bass region. That way it's not a mish-mash of sounds and it becomes layered.

As well just simply EQ all the sounds in their respective region , such as putting books on a book shelf so it blends.

For the percussion, use compression on everything, so it pops but doesn't take over and wreak the volume for anything else.

Kick's as a key pro-tip, always cut off the low 20hz region. It's never heard, but if it is left, there is this "open" room for bass notes and low mid region kick's to conflict and it clashes.

Seeing as this is your second song. I Highly recommend going on youtube, whether it be on your phone during work break's or traveling etc. Learn about compression and using EQ in what ever DAW it is you use. If you do not use EQ/Compression/Reveerb it will destroy your track. If you use them wrongly, it will also destroy your track. When it comes to verb, I can say use it with Extreme caution being a beginner. It can make a track sound very full, but it can also cause what ever synth or audio file it is your using to overtake everything. At it's worst it's like a black hole, and it just sucks all the sounds into it and causes a catastrophe.

There isn't much left for me to say, there isn't a whole lot of different sounds in the track itself. it's a ton of bass and low mid range sounds conflicting and competing to be heard.

I like the track, good for a sub in the car to be a bit of a s**t disturber to the people around.

On a side note, if it is dubstep you were going for; Dubstep bass is generally in a mid range, with a sub bass to give it oomf. Or no sub bass and the wobble bass it self acts as the bass as a whole. It's difficult in the beginning but you get used to it after a while.

That's the best I got on a hangover, I look forward to hearing your third track. Good luck mate, good stuff. Keep on truckin' along and you'll get the hang of it in no time! :-)

dubsteps hard to make. the whole genre is about phat beats. i think you need to explore more sounds and producers before you make another track and figure out what you want your sound to be.

Thank all of you for your feedback, i already started learning about compression and proper EQ. You are helping me a lot :). that is why i joined this forum.

For a second beat this is actually pretty damn dope. Dubstep is a hard genre I think you should search for more sounds, it started gettin repetetive. Mixing needs work but that will come with practice keep at it man!

Back