Chance The Rapper Clerance

Buzzster

Any of you guys think Chance the Rapper and his team were able to get clearance for all the samples used on Acid Rap? I can't figure how someone with no budget and so much buzz hasn't had a lawsuit or two slapped on him yet? Or at least a cease & desist.

I guess it's because it's a free project. As long as he does not make money out of it he's fine. He definitely makes money out of shows but not out of the mixtape by itself

some informed discussion

seems he can't get the clearances he wants so he released it as a mixtape without physical sales or product - that, by the way, would seem to be the way he is avoiding the legal mess.

Not because he is not making money but because there is no physical product changing hands - the law is taking too long to catch up to the current reality of "digital mixtape" downloads. IMNSHO, it will catch up soon enough as while the medium is digital, the sources for the downloads are very much physical. It is just going to take the right attorney to work out how to sue the internet service providers who are providing either the storage or the connectivity for these downloads to proceed

Chance the Rapper, PARTYNEXTDOOR land on charts with free mixtapes – FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music.

this next one explores the concept of lost profits i.e. actual damages vs statutory damages (which can only be applied if you have copyrighted your material) - do not copyright your material (along with the attendant clearances of samples and artists) and here is where your gravy train ends up

FSD Feature: Copyrights & Wrongs - Chance's Acid Rap Billboard Charting & How Indie Artists Can Combat Bootleggers - Fake Shore Drive : Fake Shore Drive

More justification as to why it is safer to not sell a mixtape
seems his strategy is not to sell a product but to tour only - smells like a lawyers ploy to avoid paying for the use of samples and such, although there are still issues with performance rights and mechanical reproduction rights which must be met by the promoter of each show, so they may yet get hoisted by their own petard

Chance the Rapper says he has no reason to sign with a record label | Consequence of Sound

Mixtape sales and distribution as piracy
the broader view of the mixtape industry is that it is illegal in nature and distribution and sale of mixtapes is being vigourously pursued as piracy by the RIAA - a double standard as the people who are charged with a crime are at the coal-face selling the product when the product is generally a result of cunning marketing strategies devised by major label heads.

The short term future may be summed up by the actions of "one canny store where mixtapes are on display but not, strictly speaking, on sale. To get one, you have to buy a CD holder, priced at $7.99 but worth a small fraction of that; with every purchase, you get a "free" mixtape."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/16/a...l=1&adxnnlx=1386858540-RRtXIlnyacnrzPzRcPkJYQ

Who made the bootleg Acid Rap CD that hit the Billboard charts? | Bleader | Chicago Reader

Indie Rapper Has Bootleg Land on the Billboard Charts - Fame Wizard®

Last edited:
It's true he didn't make any money directly from "Acid Rap", but on his Social Experiment Tour he is mostly performing songs off of that mixtape and definitely making money off of it that way, so he could possibly face legal issues if he didn't get those samples cleared. Don't you remember Lil' Wayne's issue with that "I Feel Like Dying" track?

http://www.laweekly.com/2008-09-04/music/karma-policed

(sorry I don't have enough posts to put up a link)

Last edited by a moderator:
already read that on the way to making my comment

of bigger interest to me is how sanitised both Jim Jonsins and Lil Wayne's entries in wikipedia are - absolutely no mention of the two lawsuits, with Jonsins reading more like a press release than a true wikipedia article

anyone got the the final outcome of either suit with a good reference link?

Last edited:
I think this just goes to prove the theory that only big time label artist get sued by old 70's songwriters over sample clearance issues....Chance and A$AP Rocky blew up using mainly sample based tracks and were too young, unknown, and probably broke to afford clearances on all those songs...even performing the songs hasn't caused them any issues.

Back