CD Baby...

TRiCKST3R

TRiCKST3R
Thinking About Uploading my songs to CD baby and selling my songs with them.

Good idea or bad idea?

copyright issues? or anything else i should look at before doing this?

I produced the songs myself in my DAW and used my own lyrics... if it helps at all...

Yeah like he said, If your not using any samples than you should be good. Just make sure your quality is up to par with the industry standard, or as close to it as you can get. But if you are using samples your gonna have to the clearance to use them.

If your using samples and know the songs are sampled you are responsible for it not CD Baby so it's really on you as far as that goes. But other than that CD Baby is cool you just have to promote like crazy they don't help with any of that I hope this helps....Peace!!

If your using samples and know the songs are sampled you are responsible for it not CD Baby so it's really on you as far as that goes. But other than that CD Baby is cool you just have to promote like crazy they don't help with any of that I hope this helps....Peace!!

Kool, did not know that!..well i used samples (claps, snares, sound FX etc etc) on one of the sample library it says this on the readme file:

"Once you have purchased one of our sound libraries you have a single user
license which
permits you to use samples from that library in your own musical compositions. You may release
such compositions commercially without payment of any further royalties or fees for such usage.
You cannot use the sounds from our sample libraries in isolation for a commercial release or
project. For example you are not authorized to create another sample CD or sound library with
any of the sounds from our products. Doing so will infringe copyright law and you will be liable for
prosecution under the copy write design and patents act 1988. You are permitted to use the
sounds in library or production music as long as you follow the guidelines above and use sounds
in musical compositions rather than in isolation."

so i would be able to use those samples in my songs and not have to worry about anything right?

I signed up for CD Baby but not until after doing so did I realize that I had to send them physical copies and fans had to be a cd baby member to purchase your products including ringtones.

Benefits that I did like are the digital distribution to itunes and such. The barcode and ISRC numbers.

I recommend just setting up your own website and selling physical cds through paypal.

Tunecore.com seems to be a good option.

If you haven't already I would go to Reverbnation.com and set up an account and see what they have to offer. VERY USEFUL TOOLS

I signed up for CD Baby but not until after doing so did I realize that I had to send them physical copies and fans had to be a cd baby member to purchase your products including ringtones.

Benefits that I did like are the digital distribution to itunes and such. The barcode and ISRC numbers.

I recommend just setting up your own website and selling physical cds through paypal.

Tunecore.com seems to be a good option.

If you haven't already I would go to Reverbnation.com and set up an account and see what they have to offer. VERY USEFUL TOOLS

kool i will check it out and thanks! i plan on getting on soundclick/cdbaby and wherever else my music can be purchased!

I would try a focused approach. Start with one avenue at a time and really go hard at it. Its better than spreading your hustle real thin over multiple avenues.

I am signed up just havent paid for the services. The next release I do will probably use them for my digital distro.

Reverbnation.com still has the most useful tools in one place I have found and it is very easy to use.

In early March I released a new album and used cd baby again. The out of pocket price for an up coming artist is budget friendly but at the cost of giving up a percentage of your revenue.

It was on Itunes in like two days and within 12 hours of it being live on cdbaby someone had stumbled across the product and bought two downloads from me.

Side note--- My previous release from 2010 has been continually added to new digital retailers I never heard of in foreign markets and outlets like iheartradio without me doing anything. I like that.

LMFAO at the OBVIOUS tunecore rep downing CD Baby. I just started looking into these things today though, so im not gonna dispute him. What i did like was CD Baby was very easy for me to find out everything I needed to know, I am going to look at tunecore next. I think tunecore costs a tad more.

Does anyone know if with CD Baby you can specify say, ARTIST gets 40%, ENGINEER gets 20%, and ARTIST 2 gets 40%, and enter all these peoples info so CD Baby knows where to send the money?

LMFAO at the OBVIOUS tunecore rep downing CD Baby. I just started looking into these things today though, so im not gonna dispute him. What i did like was CD Baby was very easy for me to find out everything I needed to know, I am going to look at tunecore next. I think tunecore costs a tad more.

Does anyone know if with CD Baby you can specify say, ARTIST gets 40%, ENGINEER gets 20%, and ARTIST 2 gets 40%, and enter all these peoples info so CD Baby knows where to send the money?

I pretty sure you have to do that yourself
usually labels do this receives all the money and once recoupment is made they start to send out checks according to said contract terms

I'm going to use CDbaby for sure why?
because I get five free submissions singles or albums
and I love the discmakers/Cdbaby/hostbaby family

I use hostbaby by the way that's why I get the free submissions

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

I pretty sure you have to do that yourself
usually labels do this receives all the money and once recoupment is made they start to send out checks according to said contract terms

I'm going to use CDbaby for sure why?
because I get five free submissions singles or albums
and I love the discmakers/Cdbaby/hostbaby family

I use hostbaby by the way that's why I get the free submissions

I think I read that whoever the uploading party/monies receiving party is is responsible for distribution. Im still talkin with that artist and am just trying to find out things in advance. We dont really know what we are doing, and I want to help him record a good project or two, its just that I dont wanna work for free. At the same time ive never done it so i dont wanna murk either. We gonna talk face to face and throw all our ideas on the table tho

I think I read that whoever the uploading party/monies receiving party is is responsible for distribution. Im still talkin with that artist and am just trying to find out things in advance. We dont really know what we are doing, and I want to help him record a good project or two, its just that I dont wanna work for free. At the same time ive never done it so i dont wanna murk either. We gonna talk face to face and throw all our ideas on the table tho

so does this artist have a management??/label is so they will proabably be the uploading party and handle dividing up the money
get split sheets signed NOW!!!

you have to be professional when working on projects with artists
and I would also sure to copyright all your instrumentals before handling them over the artists
keep all your instrumental session files organized
and register all your instrumentals with your PRO
and you should be fine

Back