Case Study on DJ/Producer Lunice (TNGHT Duo)

kmano

So they guy obviously has an awesome life. He is signed to both Warp and LuckyMe Records. He is a hip-hop/electronic music producer and a DJ. What is bothering me about him is how the hell he handles to travel around the world playing those live sets while still being not so maintream artist? I mean, at each show he plays 80 % of others people music and 20 % of his beats. And he is a typical digital guy with a laptop and MPD 26 on a stage. So I am wondering who pays for all those trips? It really has to cost something when one day he is in London and the next day he plays somewhere in Asia or States. Does the rercords label covers all of the costs?

I am thinking about it because this is the life I would like to have, full of making music & travelling and performing live, just with laptop and some knobs and faders on my controller. What should I do to get it? There is a thousands of guys who can warp songs on Ableton and then mash them up. So where's the secret? Song selection? Good energy on the stage? Something else? I'd like to hear opinions of those who know the guy and his lifestyle. I mean I would love to travel around europe playing in small clubs filled with awesome people jamming with my to the music I love. And as a producer being able to produce good music in first place - but I already know what to do to make great music. My only concer is how the hell achieve that travelling/music performing lifestyle he has!

I mean just look at this ->

Lunice dropping "Higher Ground" @ club 55 / Warsaw - YouTube

Energy and the vibe is insane. I want that. And it's not like he has some amazing mixing skills. Just basics with couple of effects. And yet he played some big festivals as well, Sonar in Barcelona as an example.

And there are DJ that plays for some clubs all over the world but I don't want to end up as a residence DJ who plays each week in the same club, I'd like to make it worldwide. So first thing that comes to my mind is to listen as much music as possible (which I do as a producer as well) and just put a tons of mixes and send them to labels around the Europe/World? And be consistent until someone with respond me?

just a reminder, Lunice didn't get that big until he coupled-up with Hudson Mohawke and formed Tnght.

Dont really have that much knowledge to answer youre question, but keep in mind alot of the whole "being discovered" and "getting signed" deal is luck. obviously you have to be a skilled musician and make music that people love, but a good portion of doing what Lunice and Hudson are doing right now is that they did the right thing at the right place at the right time.

Thanks for answer. That's definitely true what You said. Recently I found his Beat Blog videos on YouTube that he was making since 2007. So that kinda shows that he went from 1k view videos on YT to touring around the world in like 4,5 years. A lot of work ahead of me! But in couple of weeks I have my first DJ gig. Hopefully it will give me more and more gigs!

What You think about his mixing skills? Since he's only using Ableton + Akai MPD 26 he's definitely not some king of a A-Trak DJ with two turntables and shit. But giving the credit to Lunice, I saw him live week ago and he was a beats. A lof of energy, good mix and crazy energy in all the songs. Good party!

Back