Can we let the new school stay in their lane?

OfficialLogic

I hear people comparing dudes like Kendrick, Bronson and Danny Brown to the old school. Can we let the new schoolers have an identity for themselves?

I don't want to hear Biggie-lites, or Pac-lites, or Jay-Z-lites. I wanna hear new, fresh artists.

Why are we so obsessed with trying to bring back the past when it comes to artists? Me, I'm in the middle of it. My generation is all about Drake and Rocky and whoever it is, but I grew up listening to more Pac, Wu-Tang and Snoop simply because of my brother.

And me, I appreciate a diverse music library. I'm not tryna hear somebody imitate the 80s and 90s rappers when I can just go listen to those rappers.

Bronson gets compared to the old school because he sounds like Ghostface Killah. I wouldnt compare Danny or Kendrick to anyone. Drake is not good for the scene & Rocky brings nothing at all.

Skills don't mean nothing today. Just hype. For every rapper we name who is dope in the media...there are 10,000 that are way better.

Rappers ain't working on their craft.......except the rappers that we call "real MCs" in the mainstream. Slaughterhouse and nem. They get a name for skill........that's about it though....it's like "give them a cookie or somethin".

I can be realistic and say everything I've heard in the past 10 years has taking more steps in a primitive way than where lyrical skills should be. We have heard it all. Punchlines, word play, multi syllables, metaphors......we haven't seen that Vince Carter type dude do a 720.......we steady hypin up dudes throwing the ball off the backboard........jumpin over people standing up....that ain't shit!!! And when we do get a Vince Carter......he sell out quick to dumb his style down to some Nickelodeon Award shit.

You young rappers need to put some bass in your voice, too......I mean from the inside of you....not from the eq. Sound like a bunch of whiny little babies. Listen to them.....when they try to power up......they sound cute. lol! They sound like cartoon characters.....some care bears. lol! Cube and nem were the same age back then......they didn't sound like care bears. Maybe it's these U87s these dudes rapping through....heavy compression. Squashed so bad they sound like a duck. IDK.

Last edited:
Skills don't mean nothing today. Just hype. For every rapper we name who is dope in the media...there are 10,000 that are way better.

Rappers ain't working on their craft.......except the rappers that we call "real MCs" in the mainstream. Slaughterhouse and nem. They get a name for skill........that's about it though....it's like "give them a cookie or somethin".

I can be realistic and say everything I've heard in the past 10 years has taking more steps in a primitive way than where lyrical skills should be. We have heard it all. Punchlines, word play, multi syllables, metaphors......we haven't seen that Vince Carter type dude do a 720.......we steady hypin up dudes throwing the ball off the backboard........jumpin over people standing up....that ain't shit!!! And when we do get a Vince Carter......he sell out quick to dumb his style down to some Nickelodeon Award shit.

You young rappers need to put some bass in your voice, too......I mean from the inside of you....not from the eq. Sound like a bunch of whiny little babies. Listen to them.....when they try to power up......they sound cute. lol! They sound like cartoon characters.....some care bears. lol! Cube and nem were the same age back then......they didn't sound like care bears. Maybe it's these U87s these dudes rapping through....heavy compression. Squashed so bad they sound like a duck. IDK.

It's cause a lot of new rappers are skinny. Can't force that bass out of a body that doesn't have one.

I think the comparisons exist because the art of rapping has only changed a little over the years. It's still basically the same idea that came up in the 80's.

Check Rock & Roll... You're not going to compare the Ramones' punk style with Led Zeppelin, because although they are both Rock, they had radically different styles.

I think with Rap, the last popular artist to come around with a radically different style was Drake, with his sing-rapping stuff. Like it or hate it, it wasn't common much before he showed up. But when he raps - because it is still the basic artform - even he gets compared.

I think in certain genres, if you want your own lane, you really gotta be able to claim your act hasn't been done before.

^^^^^^Never heard of BTNH,Nelly,T-Pain,50 Cent or the real Lil'Wayne

Today's Hip-Hop seems lazy.

There will be an occasional, really dope beat. But it will be ruined by the Rapper.

See, Kendrick Lamar - Hiiipower

One of the sickest beats I have heard in recent years, yet Kendrick absolutely disgraced it.

Your voice is an instrument. If you don't acknowledge that and misue a dope beat to talk over it with an alien voice, be off beat, and just don't put the shit in the pocket the overall song will be bad.

Your voice is an instrument! Rappers need to focus on content, flow and rhythm more...there's books on this shit man.

I wanna see some damn effort.

We created this shit.

I got a friend that has to wait for the clean version to he can play it around his kids

By the way, Captain Murphy u got that heat!

​Creating something means nothing. Especially when it can be downloaded for free. Come up off that high horse.

Today's Hip-Hop seems lazy.

There will be an occasional, really dope beat. But it will be ruined by the Rapper.

See, Kendrick Lamar - Hiiipower

One of the sickest beats I have heard in recent years, yet Kendrick absolutely disgraced it.

Your voice is an instrument. If you don't acknowledge that and misue a dope beat to talk over it with an alien voice, be off beat, and just don't put the shit in the pocket the overall song will be bad.

Your voice is an instrument! Rappers need to focus on content, flow and rhythm more...there's books on this shit man.

I wanna see some damn effort.

The sooner we learn how how to embrace getting older, the easier life is for everyone. We have no control of what the younger generation does. They think and act different because life is constantly changing. The world today is different than when we grew up so how can we expect them to act like us. I dislike skinny jeans, the fashion sense of today's artists and the music itself but I dont waste breath complaining about it because I know I cant change their behavior. I can support the artists I like though.

Hip-Hop

Nobody seems to remember 2 Live crew or Mc Hammmer. Its all hip-hop!

Ol heads respect dudes will skills. Flow is flow, punchlines r punchlines. Dumb dudes with gimmicks ain''t nothing new.

p.s. to the mods/admin what's up with the vid restrictions, y'all severs capacity that low?

what's up with the one video limit??

-Coach Antonio

No offense fataltone, you a good dude and a valued member of this forum, but, real talk, no man who is for Christ should be moving his body like that. But the song catchy, tho.

Last edited:
Back