Can someone please answer a few questions for me?

D

dj funkifize

I think I want to start djing. And I know all about what tables and mixers I should get if I start, from reading other posts and my own research. What I haven't been able to find ANYWHERE is what you do when you're behind the tables... as far as looping a beat and sampling a melody... how do you do that from an LP? Is it just the records are recorded for djs and has tracks set up to easily loop it? I feel kinda silly asking this question because it seems like something that should be obvious, and probably is.
I also want to know how you mix your own samples w/ vinyl. You can't right? You'd have to use a sampler, right? Or CD tables, right? What I was thinking is getting CD tables for mixing and 1 LP table for scratching. I don't know, is this a dumb idea? I only thought of that b/c lots of people say CD's are horrible for scratching.
Anyway... I said a lot. So, can anyone please help?
Thanks a lot in advance

well???
I know you guys know, because you do it. I know it's probably a lot to explain. If there's a site I can go to telling me this.... Or something.
thanks

OK let me help you a little bit. Sometimes it takes a few days before peopel reply to your post.

> What I haven't been able to find ANYWHERE is what you do when you're behind the tables... as far as looping a beat and sampling a melody... how do you do that from an LP?

Well.. see, there is two things, which are VERY different: mixing, composing.

mixing: in general you play 2 vinyls, try to match the speeds,a nd play with the Equalizations, levels, and crossfader. It is not your music, it is someone else's music, you are not composing your own melody, you are making a mix

composing: different, much different. You don't even need turntables, and your mixer is different, with a lot more tracks. you use a sequencer (computer or hardware seq.) to compose your songs, to write the notes on the tracks, and control external instruments (synthesizer, drumbox, sampler) to generate your sounds. It is not just "looping", it is more than that.

> I also want to know how you mix your own samples w/ vinyl. You can't right? You'd have to use a sampler, right?

Right... I think some people who mix do bring with them either a MPC2000XL, or a Yamaha SU700 or an electribe S (if you dont have much money) and press the buttons to trigger samples while they mix vinyls together. Samples are prepared in advance before your performance.

> ...or CD tables, right?

You should better use one of the machines I mentionned above.. CD players do have sampling/looping functions but it is a gadget and you can only sample and loop in realtime, you can't prepare much.

> What I was thinking is getting CD tables for mixing and 1 LP table for scratching. I don't know, is this a dumb idea

mmhh... you should use 1 medium at a time, because a lot of people told me that it is a bit confusing to use several formats at the same time. But I guess it's up to you for this one.

Take care man, see you around

thanks,
that did clear up alot.
I think I might get the Yamaha SU700. I did some research on it after you mentioned it. It seems like that's what I want to be using. But not for a while :( ... until I get some $$$$.
thanks alot
dj funkifize

Back