Can someone judge my mix?

I have only listened to like the first 10 min so far. First off, turn it down. You are clipping at certain times. (often) A proper recording is much better than an extremely loud one. You can always turn up the recording, but you can't take out clipping and distortion. As far as the transitions. Just keep listening to other DJs mixes that you like to get ideas. Listen and try to figure out what type of transitions they do and practice trying to do different types of blends, scratch outs, etc... You did a lot of backspins. Try and do some different things between songs. Do some more smash ins. (where you just just drop the new song on the one, like you did when you brought in the Lil Jon - get low) Any way to differentiate transitions can add a ton.

Just a couple recommendations in my opinion. Keep working and recording. I wish you the best going forward.

idk if its just my studio monitors but the bass is so loud it sounds bad and unclear, besides that i cant point anything out.

I have only listened to like the first 10 min so far. First off, turn it down. You are clipping at certain times. (often) A proper recording is much better than an extremely loud one. You can always turn up the recording, but you can't take out clipping and distortion. As far as the transitions. Just keep listening to other DJs mixes that you like to get ideas. Listen and try to figure out what type of transitions they do and practice trying to do different types of blends, scratch outs, etc... You did a lot of backspins. Try and do some different things between songs. Do some more smash ins. (where you just just drop the new song on the one, like you did when you brought in the Lil Jon - get low) Any way to differentiate transitions can add a ton.

Just a couple recommendations in my opinion. Keep working and recording. I wish you the best going forward.

Hmm im going to listen to a couple mixes, ive been listening to Hot 97 and there mixes are horrid and thats coming from a beginner
You know any noted hip-hop DJs to study from? Im about to see if I can find some old Kid Capri tapes

Ima try to learn different scratches, kinda hard on this ipad crap haha

idk if its just my studio monitors but the bass is so loud it sounds bad and unclear, besides that i cant point anything out.

Yeah thats probably me again, I like to listen to my music with a lot of bass since I use cheap headphones lol
So I bass-enhance all my music when I throw on it on my iPad, ill turn that off next time

Thank you both for the feedback

Yeah, Kid Capri would be good. Google old Funkmaster Flex mixes, Check out DJ Riz (for quick mixing), DJ Z-Trip (for blends, scratching, etc...), Check out A-Trak (turntablism), DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Revolution, DJ Spinbad, and DJ Vajra are a few names to get you started. Check out youTube videos too!

As far as new hip-hop I can't help you a ton because I don't know a ton of new hip-hop but the principles these DJs apply can be used and incorporated into any style DJ. I hope that helps.

1. Learn how to beatmatch.
2. Try to stay in +-8% tempo range. Listening to those squeaky voices for an hour is annoying. Especially, don't ever do what u did with the Rick Ross joint (25:20)!
3. Don't ever mix vocals. Get some music packs with extended edits of the songs (w/ 32 bar intros/outros) or start making yours own. Nowadays you can find them everywhere, thankfully.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Needs work...you have to study something before you engage.

1. Learn how to beatmatch.
2. Try to stay in +-8% tempo range. Listening to those squeaky voices for an hour is annoying. Especially, don't ever do what u did with the Rick Ross joint (25:20)!
3. Don't ever mix vocals. Get some music packs with extended edits of the songs (w/ 32 bar intros/outros) or start making yours own. Nowadays you can find them everywhere, thankfully.

Good luck.

Best advice yet, thanks for it
Gonna start looking up some shit this week, aint know extended mixes were even needed

Study DJ Skribbles and Funk FLex Volume 2 and 3 from the 90's . and listen to our mix it's not Hip Hop but it's pretty f-in good haha NocturnalZ - Electric Forest Mix Match 2012 NocturnalZ | Mixcloud - Re-think radio

downloading now, thanks

Needs work...you have to study something before you engage.

uhhhhh, yeah i know it needs work thats why I posted it
have any TIPS or something u can say specifically I need to work on?

Back