Can I Really Post my FLips without being Harrased ?!?

xNolongtalking

so Basically I went to a beat conference last month And we were talking about Sampling and how you have to get permission To sample but **** all that noise ... You know what i mean WHY would i ask permission to use a song before i start to sample it right ??!! But just curious i wana post some Stuff On this amazing site And Its killing me that i cant upload a youtube account to Present my flips cause i just made some cool ones just by looking thru this site,.. Just curious about your producer thoughts on this.. Isnt it killing hiphop for all the copy rights.. But isnt that why artist make mixtapes i dont get it ?

I would suggest that you use soundcloud or similar rather than youtube

Flipping as part of your learning process is expected, flipping to make money is why you should be getting sample clearances - there are differing views on how this should be approached here at fp and other places, but the bottom line is if you try to monetise the result in any shape or form you are breaking the law and can be subject not only to lost revenue damages but triple dames as a punitive measure

All in all if you think that you could end up being sued get clearance first, if you think you can handle paying three times as much as you make for ignoring the law - there is no real statute of limitations on when they can pursue for damages as the act has to be found first.

The case of the song "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin only came to light after the original writers (Anne Bredon) son asked her how long she had been performing Led Zeppelin songs. She quizzed him at length and discovered the theft of her entire song with a litany of altered authorship credit over the years from traditional to full writing credit to Page. Since 1990, the Led Zeppelin version has credited the writer as Bredon, who received a substantial back-payment in royalties.

Last edited:
Yah i am aware of this but its good to know i can just Play aroud with samples that i use i guess but i personally wouldnt post anything on youtube for the fact that people can just youtube to mp3 any beat nowadays i would rather soundcloud as my main preference just because alot of artist are using it aswell .. question If you DO sample Someones work ... Say from Sade or something and you would just want a friend to rap over your flip WOuld that also be a possibility just curious because Artists Do realese MIXTAPES ??! n that is my question Can i relese it under a mixtape title just so some of my friends n family can hear.. #2nd Question is it better to post on soundcloud or to send it to an artist like Meek millz ? because say he could approve clearence himself on the beat with his pay on top of my leasing fee and even give me some studio time ? your thoughts ?

don't wanna highjack the thread but bandcoach correct me if I am wrong but it is ok to use samples on things such as mixtapes because normally they shouldn't be generating any profit. What happens when the artist performs at a show.

it makes no difference if you make money off of the use of the sample or not: your use has to be cleared

- imagine being hit with a court order to pay triple anticipated damages and you have not made a cent by your use of the sample:

your failure to monetise is no impediment to the courts ordering substantial damages simply because you made the track using it publicly available if only to a few friends

i.e. there is no restriction on you being pursued for damages, so better to clear than not

Last edited:
so Basically I went to a beat conference last month And we were talking about Sampling and how you have to get permission To sample but **** all that noise ... You know what i mean WHY would i ask permission to use a song before i start to sample it right ??!! But just curious i wana post some Stuff On this amazing site And Its killing me that i cant upload a youtube account to Present my flips cause i just made some cool ones just by looking thru this site,.. Just curious about your producer thoughts on this.. Isnt it killing hiphop for all the copy rights.. But isnt that why artist make mixtapes i dont get it ?

you could create and post sample flips on here.. but i see what your saying.. but how would you feel if someone took your work changed it and made it their own.. what if you don't like the final product.. people still and will always continue to sample... it is what it is.. it's left to the person being sampled's discretion

Thanks GUyss! Appreciate it alot I guess im just going to have to Keep my FLips TO my Self i totaly agree aswell i would be pretty mad if someone did take my work n not credit it Thats why i gotta practice making my own beats .... touching on the topic of sample clearences how do i go about that ?

Back