Can I get some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first few seconds didn't really seem necessary to me. Didn't fit well with the rest of the song and wasn't a very good intro IMO.

However, I really like the rest of the track. I noticed the lead saw had it's volume turn down rather dramatically (I'm still learning to mix/master as well so bare with me). I think if you're going to mess with volumes on a track, it needs to be subtle and quick. Furthermore, I noticed your mix is heavily limited. The sounds were squashed rather severely towards the end.

Other than the intro, I think the only thing you need to work at on this track is your mixing/mastering.

Take care!

The buildup was a tad too much like the above poster said, I can hear the volumes being messed with a bit on the track, great idea but just needs to flow a bit better like the above poster said. Percussion choice and pattern was fine just need to work on the mix/master a bit more
Feedback?

i like your drums and melody alot. The bass in the background is the only thing i didn't like. Still a great song though. keep up the good work.

Thanks I appreciate it! I really need monitor's I hate running back and forth to the car lol. I'm using a 2008 denali xl to work it out. What is the best way to work on the "Limited" portion as far as keeping the freqs seperate so they stand out more? I usually just add compression, fl stereo enhancer, eq, reverb few other minor things. Is there any other FL Effects that are worth messing with to help with mastering?

Fruity Compressor
Fruity Multiband Compressor
Fruity Parametric EQ 2
Fruity Limiter
Maximus (especially Maximus)

These are, in my opinion, the best stock tools for mastering in FL. Compressor/Multiband Compressor obviously for compression, Parametric EQ 2 is a really good EQing tool, the Limiter to boost lower volume sounds while keeping the mix below a certain dB level, and Maximus is kind of like a do-it-all station that does the features of a lot of the other tools. I usually use all of these to some extent when I master, but Maximus is a good place to start if you don't have your own settings yet. Play around with the presets and find out what the different features do, there's a boatload of options in that plugin

I also noticed the sudden volume drop in the saw. I'm assuming that you yourself didn't automate this, but the 808 sine bass that comes in takes up a lot of the headroom and lowers the other sounds in comparison. Mess with the saturation and the volume on the bass to get a clearer mix while still slammin. Right now your problem is that your 808 is simply way louder than the rest of the instruments, you can tell because when the 808 goes to a higher pitch everything becomes clearer for a split second then drops back down.

I hope I helped give you a sense of where you might start. I am by no means a mastering expert myself, but this is just my knowledge and limited experience.

And don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the track and the mix/master isn't that bad at all. Just felt like spewing out some tips :-)

Thanks man. I'm going to mess around with it alot more. Get rid of that snare in the intro and work on my mastering.

If you go up to the top I just edited the top post with the remastered link. My bad about editing it a few times I forgot to raise the drum track volume back up. I am currently having problems with the limiting and getting the melody to stay as close to the sound before the sub comes in. I tried to seperate the frequencies in EQ by taking the melody frequency out of the other layers some. It still has some saturation.

D'art they are in the work's lol paying probation my lawyer and house bills are making it take a little longer to get my shit together. I just got an Alienware ALW14 with an I7 friday. My old pc's processor limited me sooo much.

Last edited:
I use hardware to get my sounds, and opensource software to record.
My soundcard costed just €50,- but the monitors were expensive.
But by using hardware I never overload my processor and still have clean sounds (if I don't over-use my fx's).
I find hardware more easy to work with, cos you have knobs to tweak and a good visual, instead of computerscreens.

I work on a old laptop myself, with a monitor that broken, a keyboard that misses keys and a mousepad that is out of reach.
I connected a monitor, and wireless mouse and keyboard. Also a soundcard ( USB CI1) , a BFC2000 and a MIDISPORT 4x4.
It works for me.

And that mousething... nothing is like using your fingers to play instruments (or hand and feet).
I tried to program with a mouse, but today I changed back to just playing by hand again.
Sounds way better!!

Not Bad at all

The Energy and the melody is there, spot on! You gotta work on your mixing skills. The bottom end is slightly distorted, and the compression on the overall mix is way too much. T-racks is also a great mastering package :-) Get some monitors or a great headphone for mixing.

Never mix extremely loud as this gives you a false sense of sound, loud everything sounds great. Mix it soft, then just one or two times make it really loud to check the mids and tops. Also, learn about RMS ;-)

Keep up the good work, you are on your'e way.

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back