Can anyone say anything about the new "Impulse" range from Novation???

F.S

aka Mr. Ando
Hello all!

Just saw the youtube ad for the new Impulse midi controllers... Look awfully similar to the Axiom range from m-Audio, except with nice wooden sides. Can anyone share an opinion on this piece yet??? I've been saving up for the Axiom for a while now, but since this just came out I'm kind of re-thinking my decision...

Thanks!

Hello all!

Just saw the youtube ad for the new Impulse midi controllers... Look awfully similar to the Axiom range from m-Audio, except with nice wooden sides. Can anyone share an opinion on this piece yet??? I've been saving up for the Axiom for a while now, but since this just came out I'm kind of re-thinking my decision...

Thanks!

I've seen the Impulse's layout on a few off-name MIDI controllers. I'm guessing that it's essentially the same keybed, knobs, faders, etc., as the v1 Axiom, plus Automap compatibility. That's quite a plus.

Yeah Automap looks quite nice. Worth the extra $100 though?? I know you are an expert on this stuff, Salem.

Yeah Automap looks quite nice. Worth the extra $100 though?? I know you are an expert on this stuff, Salem.

If you are planning on tweaking and/or automating parameters, yes. Automap shines more and more as you increase the number of tweakable VST(i)s you're using. The benefit is especially noticeable if you're using a lot of synths.

FL/Reason/Live users gain the least from Automap, as these DAWs have a rudimentary template system or automatic mapping for plugins. Automap makes Cubase/Logic/PT much nicer to use, on the other hand.

The bottom line is that if you're not using your knobs/faders because setup is too tedious (but you feel that you would like to use them frequently if setup were streamlined), Automap is well worth the $100. Personally, I rarely used the knobs/faders on my MIDI controllers and performed all adjustments and automation with the mouse until Automap.

Last edited:
But what makes it different from Hypercontrol??? They both do pretty much the same thing.

But what makes it different from Hypercontrol??? They both do pretty much the same thing.

The new second-generation Axiom doesn't come with Hypercontrol; it comes with DirectLink, a very watered-down version of Hypercontrol. As far as mapping is concerned, the Impulse outclasses the Axiom and should be compared against the Axiom Pro instead:

"DirectLink is not the same as HyperControl. Axiom DirectLink gives you basic control over the mixer for controls like volume, pan, mute/rec/solo/track select, and also features Instrument Mode which gives you 1 bank of controls over virtual instruments."
- From M-Audio support forum post titled: new axiom gen2 or axiom pro? is direct link hyper control???

As far as the actual choice between Automap and Hypercontrol is concerned, Automap has the advantage that it has been around for quite a bit longer (it is now going into v4.x). Novation has had the time to respond to customer requests/issues and sort out bugs. I haven't had the chance to sit down and become accustomed to Hypercontrol, but I've read bad things about its reliability, practicality, and ease of use. Automap also had its own problems in these same areas in its first couple of versions, but has grown much more polished over time. Time usually does good things to software.

But I digress. Moral of the story: the Axiom doesn't come with Hypercontrol. Automap vs Hypercontrol is a topic for the "Novation SL 61 mkII vs Axiom Pro 61" threads.

Last edited:
My mistake. I probably should have done a little more research before posting. There doesn't really seem to be a watered down version of Automap to compare with Directlink...

My mistake. I probably should have done a little more research before posting. There doesn't really seem to be a watered down version of Automap to compare with Directlink...

Not really. There used to be the difference in v3 between Automap Standard and Automap Pro, but the differences were extremely minimal, the price difference was minimal (free vs $30), and Novation was giving out Automap Pro for free with a lot of its controllers anyway.

Now with v4, there is no Standard vs Pro -- just one version for free. Smart decision on Novation's part -- I hated having to install a license to gain all of the features for my keyboard's operating software :/

Last edited:
Back