Buying Ableton

L

littlefair

Which Ableton Live 8 should i buy? Which would you recommend?
A) Ableton Suite 8

B) Ableton Live 8

Im not 100% sure which 1 I should buy, and im also not 100% if I should buy either because i have heard Ableton 9 is coming out soon.

Demo the Suite and see if the extra instruments (which are the only difference; the functionality is the same) are something you need/like.

I bought suite, and I can honestly say that I dont use the prepacked sounds that much. However the sampler instrument is golden. I guess you could get that functionality somewhere else though. If you aren't sample based I dont know if I would go for suite. I believe Ableton are working on version 9, so you might want to consider waiting too. There aren't ETA out though, so you might be stuck for a while :P Might be they have an upgrade program too, dunno, suite 8 were my first version..

I believe Ableton are working on version 9, so you might want to consider waiting too.

Well yeah, they just "leaked" one of the feature videos...but then again, with computers & programs you're practically "always" buying at the wrong time as there's always an update "just coming out". It's likely that there's some kind of a grace period if you buy v8 close enough to the launch of v9. That said, I wouldn't stress much at this point about v9 coming out, as it might still take some time. Or not. Bottom line is, we don't know.

Might be they have an upgrade program too, dunno, suite 8 were my first version..

There's an update path (going from older version to newer ones) & upgrade path (going from "lite" to "full" or Suite). The prices depend on which version you're updating/upgrading from; it's not exactly cheap though.

but then again, with computers & programs you're practically "always" buying at the wrong time as there's always an update "just coming out"

Except for with ableton :P Live 8 were released in 2009, so they're probably not the most efficient programmers xD On a sidenote, the new compressor looks sexy

Back