Buying a computer (I have no idea what I'm doing)

DEADPIXEL

So, I've been using this 5 year old Inspiron to make music with ableton and a launchpad, but as I'm reaching for new hardware and getting more advanced, this computer is really dragging me down. for starters (and remember I have very little experience so prepare for some very stupid thoughts) When in user 1 mode trying to play something on my launchpad, there is a delay between pressing the button and the sound occurring, rendering live production in this mode impossible. I am not exactly sure why this is but I have an idea it's that my old PC just can't handle it and has bad DPC latency. So, I'm looking for a new computer. already have a fairly new monitor and such, it's just the PC itself that's old, so buying a new PC would be nice to save some money. The macs are a normally bit out of my price range but I was taking a look at the mac mini. Would that hold up better for music than a PC at the same price? Would it even hold up for music at all? Also, what about laptops? I have no experience building PCs so am I better off getting just one of those? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Also, does the mobility of a laptop make up for the lack of power and increased price? (as with a PC i wouldn't have to pay for a Monitor and such)

Back