building isolation booth for recording vocals

SpaceJams

im building a booth inside of a room and am having trouble deciding how to soundproof the inside. Should i use auralex wedge foam or pryamid. also should i put the foam all over the walls or leave some parts open ive heard covering all the walls with foam leaves the vocals dead. moneys not too much of a problem but i'd rather not spend a lot on auralex when something else does just as good of a job. Let me know if you know anything about soundproofing. much appreciated.

stay away from foam!!!
build something like this
Screen Panel : GOBO : GIK Acoustics
Owens Corning DIY Acoustic Panels

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Tone or bandcoach, should you treat the ceiling in small room with low ceilings (bout 6' 6"). I know i need traps and diffusers around the corners and reflection points, but what about above my head when in the listening position or if i was recording vocals. The floor has carpet so i'm not sure if that impacts ceiling reflection.

Last edited:
Can you hang absorbers from the ceiling?

Every thing counts and unfortunately using carpet is a myth for the most part - it has very low absorption characteristics across the musical frequency spectrum, almost transparent in fact. Of course any glues used in binding it or the underlay to the floor will have some impact, but not as much as you would think.

Is this the room you asked about before???

I have some new info and formulaes to provide even more insight into the frequs that will need treating in the bare room which will aid in designing any absorbers/deflectors.....

Tone or bandcoach, should you treat the ceiling in small room with low ceilings (bout 6' 6"). I know i need traps and diffusers around the corners and reflection points, but what about above my head when in the listening position or if i was recording vocals. The floor has carpet so i'm not sure if that impacts ceiling reflection.

I have low ceiling as well in a basement so this is usual case for that kind of area

what I was reading on gearslutz about this is that Ethan Winer the owner of Real Traps
and Glenn Kuras who is the owner of GIK Acoustics.

Anyway this guys were helping another gearslut with acoustic treatment for the ceiling above the mix area(mixing cloud)
they said yes,yes,yes, you should it will help truly.

Now my wife and I are going to do this in my office/studio area Monday and Tuesday this coming week(off of work)
going to take my 8 of my 3" acoustic foam panels that are 54" x 54" or 4.5 ft and gluing two panels two together 6" thick and taking care of the first reflection points

and then we are going to take 4 of the remaining panels make two 6" panels out of the team the glue them side by side making a 9ft. long left to right panel that's 6" thick and hang it as a mixing cloud

I already have my front wall done with 48 2" Auralex panels on my front wall well their are glue together making them 4" thick on my front wall

and I have the 4 the Auralex LENRD yeah they are purple ones
in each front wall corner

Well I took 10 of 2" auralex panels and made five 4" thick Auralex panels and place them on my back wall

my wife and I will also be placing 12 of the Auralex MiniFusors that I have stuffed with left over aurelex foam from my last studio setup around the room doing some studying this weekend to see what's the best way to use them instead of just on the back wall

I got all the acoustic foam except for the 54"x54" panels stuff about 9 or 10 years ago when a pro audio music store Mars Music Store was having a closing blowout sell
including my Tascam US-428 audio/midi control surface interface/Cubase VST 5.2 and Casio WK-1800 76 key General MIDI Keyboard workstation lol so I got a really,really good deal

I didn't know Acoustic Foam is not worth it for true taming frequencies in your room
foam does take care of low frequencies

the foam will have to due till Feb. when I'll be going with GIK Acoustics room kit #4

http://www.auralex.com/testdata/test/2wedge.pdf
NRC Data Table

You can judge a foam's absorptive effectiveness by studying its NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient), a single number average of a foam's absorption in what was determined long ago to be the most important range. The federally mandated test (ASTM C423) is standardized to cover frequencies between 125Hz and 4000Hz, but when calculating an NRC, only the coefficients from 250Hz to 2000Hz are used to help alleviate the possibility of testing errors.

All of our foam products are tested at an independent, unbiased acoustical laboratory - the oldest, most reliable lab in the country. We insist on using only the very best testing facility because we believe our customers deserve the most accurate absorption coefficient information possible.

125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1KHz 2KHz 4KHz NRC
1" Studiofoam Wedges 0.10 0.13 0.30 0.68 0.94 1.00 0.50
2" Studiofoam Wedges 0.11 0.30 0.91 1.05 0.99 1.00 0.80
3" Studiofoam Wedges 0.23 0.49 1.06 1.04 0.96 1.05 0.90
4" Studiofoam Wedges 0.31 0.85 1.25 1.14 1.06 1.09 1.10 that's why I made my 2" into 4" wedges better than nothing
2" Studiofoam Pyramids 0.13 0.27 0.62 0.92 1.02 1.02 0.70
4" Studiofoam Pyramids 0.27 0.50 1.01 1.13 1.11 1.12 0.95
2" Studiofoam Metro 0.13 0.23 0.68 0.93 0.91 0.89 0.70
2" Sonomatt 0.13 0.27 0.62 0.92 1.02 1.02 0.70
2" Studiofoam Wedgies 0.15 0.21 0.70 0.99 1.05 1.05 0.75
2" DST-114/244 0.16 0.29 0.57 0.75 0.90 1.00 0.65
MAX-Wall Panels 0.81 1.02 1.06 1.05 1.02 1.02 1.05
VENUS Bass Traps 1.63 1.34 1.29 1.26 1.25 1.20 1.30
LENRD Bass Traps 1.24 1.28 1.45 1.39 1.27 1.31 1.35
2" SonoFlat 0.27 0.60 1.17 1.06 1.02 1.02 0.95
Sunburst Males 1.08 1.23 1.14 1.07 1.05 1.08 1.10
Sunburst Females 0.65 1.02 1.00 1.08 1.05 1.08 1.05
STC Data Table
STC (Sound Transmission Class), is a numerical rating of how effective a material is at blocking the transmission of sound through itself. This rating generally applies to hard materials like rubberized sound barriers, concrete, brick and drywall but also applies to a much lesser degree to softer materials like mineral fiber (although it isn't tested by itself; it's tested as part of a wall system to verify its effectiveness). Virtually every material filters out some of the sound that travels through it, but dense materials are much better at this than are spongy materials.

so long story short yes mwandishi treat your ceiling above your mixing area
when I get the GIK acoustics room kit I'll take all the acoustic 54" x 54" foam panels and make a 12" 9.5 left to right mixing cloud
something like this
DV019_Jpg_Regular_580308.004_grey_installed.jpg

thought I would share that with you with going on in my studio environment

and check out what FP Member did with his room sick,just sick
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tudio-renovations-complete-video-pics-410323/

I'm not handy or I'll build my own too..or maybe I'm just lazy either way lol....

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
Can you hang absorbers from the ceiling?

Every thing counts and unfortunately using carpet is a myth for the most part - it has very low absorption characteristics across the musical frequency spectrum, almost transparent in fact. Of course any glues used in binding it or the underlay to the floor will have some impact, but not as much as you would think.

Is this the room you asked about before???

I have some new info and formulaes to provide even more insight into the frequs that will need treating in the bare room which will aid in designing any absorbers/deflectors.....
Ya, its the same room. Any additional info will help. I'm thinking bout putting up a cloud above my head.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

I have low ceiling as well in a basement so this is usual case for that kind of area

what I was reading on gearslutz about this is that Ethan Winer the owner of Real Traps
and Glenn Kuras who is the owner of GIK Acoustics.

Anyway this guys were helping another gearslut with acoustic treatment for the ceiling above the mix area(mixing cloud)
they said yes,yes,yes, you should it will help truly.

Now my wife and I are going to do this in my office/studio area Monday and Tuesday this coming week(off of work)
going to take my 8 of my 3" acoustic foam panels that are 54" x 54" or 4.5 ft and gluing two panels two together 6" thick and taking care of the first reflection points

and then we are going to take 4 of the remaining panels make two 6" panels out of the team the glue them side by side making a 9ft. long left to right panel that's 6" thick and hang it as a mixing cloud

I already have my front wall done with 48 2" Auralex panels on my front wall well their are glue together making them 4" thick on my front wall

and I have the 4 the Auralex LENRD yeah they are purple ones
in each front wall corner

Well I took 10 of 2" auralex panels and made five 4" thick Auralex panels and place them on my back wall

my wife and I will also be placing 12 of the Auralex MiniFusors that I have stuffed with left over aurelex foam from my last studio setup around the room doing some studying this weekend to see what's the best way to use them instead of just on the back wall

I got all the acoustic foam except for the 54"x54" panels stuff about 9 or 10 years ago when a pro audio music store Mars Music Store was having a closing blowout sell
including my Tascam US-428 audio/midi control surface interface/Cubase VST 5.2 and Casio WK-1800 76 key General MIDI Keyboard workstation lol so I got a really,really good deal

I didn't know Acoustic Foam is not worth it for true taming frequencies in your room
foam does take care of low frequencies

the foam will have to due till Feb. when I'll be going with GIK Acoustics room kit #4

http://www.auralex.com/testdata/test/2wedge.pdf
NRC Data Table

You can judge a foam's absorptive effectiveness by studying its NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient), a single number average of a foam's absorption in what was determined long ago to be the most important range. The federally mandated test (ASTM C423) is standardized to cover frequencies between 125Hz and 4000Hz, but when calculating an NRC, only the coefficients from 250Hz to 2000Hz are used to help alleviate the possibility of testing errors.

All of our foam products are tested at an independent, unbiased acoustical laboratory - the oldest, most reliable lab in the country. We insist on using only the very best testing facility because we believe our customers deserve the most accurate absorption coefficient information possible.

125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1KHz 2KHz 4KHz NRC
1" Studiofoam Wedges 0.10 0.13 0.30 0.68 0.94 1.00 0.50
2" Studiofoam Wedges 0.11 0.30 0.91 1.05 0.99 1.00 0.80
3" Studiofoam Wedges 0.23 0.49 1.06 1.04 0.96 1.05 0.90
4" Studiofoam Wedges 0.31 0.85 1.25 1.14 1.06 1.09 1.10 that's why I made my 2" into 4" wedges better than nothing
2" Studiofoam Pyramids 0.13 0.27 0.62 0.92 1.02 1.02 0.70
4" Studiofoam Pyramids 0.27 0.50 1.01 1.13 1.11 1.12 0.95
2" Studiofoam Metro 0.13 0.23 0.68 0.93 0.91 0.89 0.70
2" Sonomatt 0.13 0.27 0.62 0.92 1.02 1.02 0.70
2" Studiofoam Wedgies 0.15 0.21 0.70 0.99 1.05 1.05 0.75
2" DST-114/244 0.16 0.29 0.57 0.75 0.90 1.00 0.65
MAX-Wall Panels 0.81 1.02 1.06 1.05 1.02 1.02 1.05
VENUS Bass Traps 1.63 1.34 1.29 1.26 1.25 1.20 1.30
LENRD Bass Traps 1.24 1.28 1.45 1.39 1.27 1.31 1.35
2" SonoFlat 0.27 0.60 1.17 1.06 1.02 1.02 0.95
Sunburst Males 1.08 1.23 1.14 1.07 1.05 1.08 1.10
Sunburst Females 0.65 1.02 1.00 1.08 1.05 1.08 1.05
STC Data Table
STC (Sound Transmission Class), is a numerical rating of how effective a material is at blocking the transmission of sound through itself. This rating generally applies to hard materials like rubberized sound barriers, concrete, brick and drywall but also applies to a much lesser degree to softer materials like mineral fiber (although it isn't tested by itself; it's tested as part of a wall system to verify its effectiveness). Virtually every material filters out some of the sound that travels through it, but dense materials are much better at this than are spongy materials.

so long story short yes mwandishi treat your ceiling above your mixing area
when I get the GIK acoustics room kit I'll take all the acoustic 54" x 54" foam panels and make a 12" 9.5 left to right mixing cloud
something like this
View attachment 35745

thought I would share that with you with going on in my studio environment

and check out what FP Member did with his room sick,just sick
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...tudio-renovations-complete-video-pics-410323/

I'm not handy or I'll build my own too..or maybe I'm just lazy either way lol....

-Coach Antonio

Ya, Tone i've been on gear slutz all day today ( a lot more studio treatment info). I've seen the links to the GIk site as well as the Real traps site. i think i have pretty good handle on the stuff and i'm ready to start ordering 703 panels and start making some traps and diffusers. Found some good vids and i'm a decent handy man with a work shed so i think i can handle it (knock on wood). i see people treating the ceilng, but i wasn't sure with height and the floor. Bandcoach says the carpet thing is a myth so i guess i'll try make something for the ceiling (i'll have to work around a light). It's a basement, but the previous owners lowered the ceiling for hvac vents. Thanks guys. i hope to get going in a few weeks (when i get that check i'm waiting on.lol)

Last edited:
Yeah money,money that's why I'm using the acoustic foam might as well treat the room to the best of my abilities and products I just have laying around,my old studio sounded pretty good and I just threw up the acoustic foam this time I'm doing some testing and not using 3" foam double the absorption panel on the first reflection to 6" foam and 4" thickness on my front wall instead of the 2" as before
I have this light that I got from the goodwill warehouse that I paid maybe $.50 for yeah super cheap buy by the pound lol...and then I sell stuff on craiglist nice little hustle but I keep some stuff for myself all my whiteboard and office equipment I got that way just need to get another desk here this month $5 to $8 at that Goodwill Warehouse sometimes just need a nail here and there which is easy

I also have 3 acoustic blankets and going to figure out how to use those

I can't wait to see your pics man
I'll make sure I post mines

-Coach Antonio

Fa sho. Are those blankets the same as the uhaul joints people talk about. Looking around the web i think i can build traps and diffusers for less than 2 bills. U can get a pack of six 2" 703 for like 70 and then its about the frames and fabric which is not too bad. i saw this vid and thought that ain't to hard (me thinks)

I don't know if they are the same just click on the it in my post and you can read about them...like I said I'm lazy when it comes to building things..I hate it pretty much ....no soldering headphones wires in my near future

yeah grab those 2" up I would go for 4" on my first reflection points if I was you but not needed 2" is fine
at least make your cloud 4"

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
Back