boss sp 303

d-rock07

ive been looking into grabbin one of these but i have a quick question about it. can i listen to my records through it? so say i have my turntable running into my sp and then the monitors also hooked up to the sp and can i listen to my records through the sp that way? right now i have a usb interface and have the table running into that and the monitors also hooked up to the interface

yes you can. i had this and an sp 606. i didnt like them at all. but its all personal preference and what youre gonna do with them. but yes you can hear what youre puttin into it.

I know madlib gets down on one so I know dope shit can be had on that machine but then again it is madlib. I'm just looking at all hardware options there are out there

I'd say if you have a little extra cash get a 404sx.
However if old school pitch/tuning is important to you then you might be frustrated with any of the roland/boss sp's.
If not, then by all means go for it, but research all of the sp series.
They all have strength, and weakness.
None really seems to be head, and shoulders above the rest.

Now if you just want to step into hardware for little money, go cop a Zoom Sampletrak.
Similar to a sp303, but with old school pitch, and a few more sequencer features.
Overall more bang for you buck at just $75-100 on the used market.

Last edited:
I'd say if you have a little extra cash get a 404sx.
However if old school pitch/tuning is important to you then you might be frustrated with any of the roland/boss sp's.
If not, then by all means go for it, but research all of the sp series.
They all have strength, and weakness.
None really seems to be head, and shoulders above the rest.

Now if you just want to step into hardware for little money, go cop a Zoom Sampletrak.
Similar to a sp303, but with old school pitch, and a few more sequencer features.
Overall more bang for you buck at just $75-100 on the used market.

Oh ya man that would be sweet to pickup but I looked on ebay and the only ones they had were $190 and $225

Don't pay that much for a Sampletrak.
The auctions with no reserve usually sell for under $100.
Only greedy people looking waste auction fee's will ask what you saw them for.

That sucks man cuz I'm kinda gettin sick of fl and my computer. I mean ill be going along fine making a beat and then as I get deeper in and layering other sounds on top it seems to start to have times when it will slow down like say the sequncer and start sounding off beat. I don't know its kinda hard and weird to explain. Maybe ill just splurge and get an mp

I know madlib gets down on one so I know dope shit can be had on that machine but then again it is madlib. I'm just looking at all hardware options there are out there

gear isnt what makes madlib dope. just because nobody made anything dope on another piece of gear doesnt make it garbage either. find something that you personally like to use and rock out with it. gear vs gear is really more like Ford vs Chevy some people like Fords better but that doesn't mean that its any better than Chevy its just a preference.

Good analogy, and like cars, get the features you need.
4 doors if you have kids, cause coupes, and car seats are a PITA.

Last edited:
true on all that. im gonna look into an mp. i like the hands on workflow. i need to be touching, tweaking, and twisting knobs and butttons

Have you considered Maschine? Or a really good midi controller? You already have FL cop a controller designed with pushing buttons and twisting knobs in mind. The novation stuff is really good and aimed at that as is the axiom pro. my mpk 25 does really well with this as well but I think that has more to do with how Reason is programmed with it than the MPK itself. Most higher end controllers have preset mappings to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

I do got an mpd bro but I'm kinda trying to get away from the computer altogether. Lately I've been having trouble with the buffer messing up on me and latency issues when I increase the buffer. I just don't think my computer can handle it all

sounds like u have a bullshit computer or no audio interface. At some point in todays music climate unless u plan on doing music by yourself its going to hit a computer anyway. I had the same feelings u are a few years ago a solid computer (which will likely cost as much as this hardware anyway) will fix these issues

ya the computer i have is just a basic acer aspire laptop that i think i paid 400 bucks for like 4 yrs ago. and i think it only has 1 gig of ram so its a little limited. it might be time to upgrade the computer. any recommendations? oh and i do have an audio interface. its an edirol ua-esx i think. not too sure about the exact name but i do have one

yeah its way time to upgrade im sure but then again my 5 year old pentium 4 based machine is still running strong. If you know enough about pcs i think it may be worth while to get something custom if u dont know anything about computers a macbook could be useful really depends on your own needs but yeah it sounds like its not the softwares fault but your computer just not doing well.

I don't know too much about computers. I mean I kinda know the basics but I'm not too knowledgeable. Plus ain't a brand new computer gonna cost me a good amount of coin. Also there is one more thing to consider. Having to also buy the fl software. Let's just say I had other means of obtaining it on my laptop if you catch my drift

keep in mind im a mod and that talking about bootleg software is a bannable offense im going to ignore that lol. either way if u cant afford FL get something else like Reaper. Its not like you must use FL. Either way buying a mpc would work until u have to get your tracks off it. Then the cheapest way to track would be into a computer which you need to upgrade anyway. You need a new pc regardless lol. That being said also save up about $500-$600 and get a low end icore7 or icore5 based machine and you should be ok provided you don't run too many heavy vsts.

Back