Big name producers other than 9th Wonder using only Fruity Loops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn everyone can just stop and take a breather for a minute...I didn't start this thread for FL validation, and Rocsta I don't wish I had expensive hardware, I do have expensive hardware. I am not stuck using FL on ma duke's computer. I don't even live with my parents and everything I bought on my own. Now that we set that straight let me tell you the only reason I started this thread.

I wanted to get a thread going with a list of beats made in FL so that I can listen and determine if I can decipher qualities about the sound that would make me say "yep, that was definitely done in FL"...like when people on FP post those robotic sounding "beats" and its no question that it was done in FL on mom's computer. Maybe I will try to make the same exact beat using my mpc and make the same one in FL and see if I can her a difference. Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread....at least I got to hear alot of good music though (thanks THX). 1.

FL does depend on the user, I personally love FL maybe because its what i started out on, but now i have a lotta experience with it. I hated Reason users...mostly because i didnt know how to use reason at the time. Now that ive pretty much mastered FL (never stop learning tho) I decided to give Reason another whirl and what I have found is, the instruments and patches in reason are beautiful out of box, and tweaked with effects and whatnot already. You dont have to do much to the already beautiful sounds... Downloaded some good refills and was even more surprised at better sounds and patches. The difference with FL is simply that you dont have patches...(well you do but most suck.) and for the professional sound you have to know how to layer, tweak and put effects on every sound you put in the sequencer... I personally dont have a problem with that, it adds to my music making experience. The downfall I have with reason so far is the flexibilit of the drum machine....right now to me it sucks...in FL i feel like i have much more fexibilty by leaps and bounds... I like FL over all but i think i may get some really good results using both Reason and FL by using reason instruments and then FL drumline with the rest of the intruments and finishing touch in FL. FL is the **** in my opinion still, over Reason, theres jus something about the ease of use for me. Plus I can use FL to the max without a keyboard. and i have no problems for my genre of music.

I would post a beat that would make doubt about FL cease, but that would be stupid ; )

Scratch n Beat said:
Same here:

http://www.myspace.com/icewillie601

Of course I'm not famous though, but I have sold a beat to Saigon's Abandoned Nation crew

you definetly could have murked that sample dead end street wtf
debo

Last edited:
Mattman04 said:
One thing I've found is that a sequencers workflow, and learning curve are not nesisarily connected.
I used apps that took me some time to figure out, but when I got the concept, everything clicked.
I've also used apps that were easy as reading kindergarten books, but were not nesisarily better workflow wise.
i agree with you to an extent. Its always about how fast a person works wtih said gear that determines workflow. But since I can't speak for the cats who have tried more than just FL I can only speak on how I see it. And I always made tracks faster on other programs. I think Cubase has probabaly the best workflow of any program out there well when I was using it. That doesn't make it the best thing out there tho I do like it. My issue with workflow is the easier it is the faster you can create with it and I dont see FL as being easier or faster to make music in than any software on the market besides maybe Pro Tools.

Xabiton said:
i agree with you to an extent. Its always about how fast a person works wtih said gear that determines workflow. But since I can't speak for the cats who have tried more than just FL I can only speak on how I see it. And I always made tracks faster on other programs. I think Cubase has probabaly the best workflow of any program out there well when I was using it. That doesn't make it the best thing out there tho I do like it. My issue with workflow is the easier it is the faster you can create with it and I dont see FL as being easier or faster to make music in than any software on the market besides maybe Pro Tools.

...are you serious....
i have made a beat in 1 minute and 30 seconds before, beat that.

FL frikkin 7 is out cuzzo brain overload too much to learn!!!!
this is one of the greatest days in my life

whats the difference between using a fantom rack+mpd+fl/reason/cubase than actual hardware? Im sick of all this hardware is superior talk.

I like software sequencers but I like the sound of hardware

Babylonian said:
...are you serious....
i have made a beat in 1 minute and 30 seconds before, beat that.

FL frikkin 7 is out cuzzo brain overload too much to learn!!!!
this is one of the greatest days in my life
was it good? did it have any instrumentation or was it all drums? I can make a drum beat in less than a minute. I could make a beat in 5 minutes if I really wanted to but Im in no hurry to get it done that I cant take a couple hours creating

nwo504 said:
whats the difference between using a fantom rack+mpd+fl/reason/cubase than actual hardware? Im sick of all this hardware is superior talk.

I like software sequencers but I like the sound of hardware
To be honest people are ignorant and say hardware is superior because of the intial price tag. They feel u get what u pay for but the mini motif is dope for $500 and still can't touch Reason's sound capabilities

Last edited:
Every beat I've heard that was made in 15 mintues is usually garbage, who cares how fast you can make a beat??

rocsta said:
No it wasn't referencing to him, I meant it in general. It's just funny, it makes me smile when I open a FL thread and you can say 95% of all the threads someone jumps in and says "I use FL check out my beats".

Do you mean the thread starter or me? Cuz you quoted me. If so, I don't and never did ask those questions.

Agreed 100% - some people are insecure and they need this validation. Some people want always that what they can't have like expensive hardware, and they are wondering if someone did it with the same equipment like they have (or stick with) e.g. 'only' FL.
And for other people (like me) it's just interesting to hear that mofos doing it big with FL. It's cool and funny somehow to know that you CAN make beats for Jay-Z or Destinys Child just with a laptop and FL.

9th gets tired of FL and starts using a MP. Just Blaze gets tired of the MP and starts using Pro Tools. People get confused and start making those threads.
It wasn't addressed to you, just in general, I always tend to quote people and then go on long left feild rants that make them think it's about them. That's just me having too much to type.

Xabiton said:
Ive made some heat in 15 minutes most of the beats i make are in like 20 minutes to be honest

this is just an example. a lot of peeps talk about their speed...most of us can make a "beat" in 10 mins., 10 secs. if we really want to.....most peeps will also forget your beat in about 10 secs. 99.9% of peeps posting their fl studio tracks on the net sound mediocre at best. i'm not gonna say i'm tha **** but look at it this way.....would you rather eat sum greasy garbage from a mickey d's or sum nice meal that took time and love to create?

one love, easy

dvsn23 said:
this is just an example. a lot of peeps talk about their speed...most of us can make a "beat" in 10 mins., 10 secs. if we really want to.....most peeps will also forget your beat in about 10 secs. 99.9% of peeps posting their fl studio tracks on the net sound mediocre at best. i'm not gonna say i'm tha **** but look at it this way.....would you rather eat sum greasy garbage from a mickey d's or sum nice meal that took time and love to create?

one love, easy

Actually, if time doesn't permit NICCAS only would eat that greasy garbage.

In my eyes its not just about the equipment you have, its about what you can do with the equipment you have! Alotta dudes out here copp all the pricey equipment but dont kno what to do wit it entirely, which usually ends in puttin out garbage. Some dudes that got the not so pricey stuff (FL, Reason, etc.) have made trax that sound better than someone using all the expensive equipment. Its all about what you kno not what you got.

Last edited:
first of all who cares what they use.....lil jay from the crime mob uses fl and a new producer with T.I. uses it too

2uqcdvq.jpg

Xabiton said:

Honestly I havent used FL in standalone in years, since the version I own only records with a controller as a vsti($50 version), wich pretty much gives you the workflow of whatever app your using it in.
Since they took edison out of the express version, I really havent used it, and I don't like having to update as soon as the beta expires.

To me one element of solid workflow is being able to jump in, and out of play/record without stoping the sequencer.
Anytime you have to stop to change to another track, or vsti will slow things down at least a lilttle bit.

That's a big reason that the mpc series is so popular.

If your a midi editing kind of person, then a solid piano roll is important too.
Even being able to change swing % in realtime can be a timesaver when for instance working with samples that have hihats, and you need to quickly lock your sequence with the groove that the sample has.

That is one feature my old mpc2000 lacked. It had nice editable swing, but not adjustable during playback.(I think newer mpc's do swing adjustments in realtime though)

I've been using Phrazor lately wich does all of this very well.
How much of this can FL do?
Not trying to start anything, but genuinely curious.
Maybe Skeetz can drop some FL knowlage (I sometimes wonder if he looks over Gol's shoulder while he codes, lol)

I know there are many other elements to good workflow, and one that's more an individual issue seems to be how well they interact with the gui.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression you have major issues with FL's interface.
I would like to see FL step away from the drum grid as the default gui actually.
This is usefull for step sequencing purposes as a vsti, but I feel the new playlist view is superior.

Last edited:
Mattman04 said:
Honestly I havent used FL in standalone in years, since the version I own only records with a controller as a vsti($50 version), wich pretty much gives you the workflow of whatever app your using it in.
Since they took edison out of the express version, I really havent used it, and I don't like having to update as soon as the beta expires.

To me one element of solid workflow is being able to jump in, and out of play/record without stoping the sequencer.
Anytime you have to stop to change to another track, or vsti will slow things down at least a lilttle bit.

That's a big reason that the mpc series is so popular.

If your a midi editing kind of person, then a solid piano roll is important too.
Even being able to change swing % in realtime can be a timesaver when for instance working with samples that have hihats, and you need to quickly lock your sequence with the groove that the sample has.

That is one feature my old mpc2000 lacked. It had nice editable swing, but not adjustable during playback.(I think newer mpc's do swing adjustments in realtime though)

I've been using Phrazor lately wich does all of this very well.
How much of this can FL do?
Not trying to start anything, but genuinely curious.
Maybe Skeetz can drop some FL knowlage (I sometimes wonder if he looks over Gol's shoulder while he codes, lol)

I know there are many other elements to good workflow, and one that's more an individual issue seems to be how well they interact with the gui.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression you have major issues with FL's interface.
I would like to see FL step away from the drum grid as the default gui actually.
This is usefull for step sequencing purposes as a vsti, but I feel the new playlist view is superior.
one of my issues with fl is the gui. I also think the tools they add are great thoughts but a let down with how they intergrate them a lot of the time. Its like a ton of bells and whistles but they aren't easy to use compared to other tools. as far as workflow goes for me stopping the sequencer isnt a big thing i stop it anyway i always stop the sequencer even tho i dont have to i want to typically just how i am i guess. Im not too big on midi editing either. I edit what needs to be edited but i tend to just play what i have in mind if it dont come out right ill play until it does. One thing I do use a lot which I probably shouldnt is input quantize but o well im lazy

Xabiton said:
it costs more to run FL than Reason lol. Sometimes I wonder about people and why they feel the intial investment of anything is the only important thing
what do you mean fl cost more than reason

youngnuke001 said:
what do you mean fl cost more than reason
1 read the rest of the thread 2 i didnt say fl costs more than reason i said to run fl its gonna cost more than runnin reason due to the investments u have to make once u get fl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back