Best Synthesizer for hard progressive trance (Dumonde, Push, M.I.K.E., Pulsedriver)

Virus sound are great for trance and they are a good price too.

Its hard to put such a sound down to one synth as most people including myself like to use sounds from different synths combined together.

My Access Virus will not be a do all synth if i didnt have my jv1080 + techno board plus my korg sounds.

Most sounds now come from my virus now.

You need a demo of the Virus Rack let me know!

Last edited:
Re: Novation

> Alot if different reverb types

The reverb SUCKS but so does in every other sound module. 8 independent outputs help if you have
good external mixer & fx.

> Extra unused special buttons makes
> room for OS updates.

No xtra buttons in SNII.

> Digital I/O and ADAT expansions are optional

Only supported in the future SNII OS v.2 which was supposed to be released months ago and still it's not.

> 400 dedicated Drumbanks are provided.
> each part can have a drumset of 49 sounds
> simultaneusly. This is the largest on any synth ever.

And the drum sounds suck, more or less, but hey...
you get a drummachine or decent samples for drums,
not a v/a synth. :))

> 1024 Programs (patches)
> 512 Performances can be stored in memory.

One thing I really hated about Virus KB was the low memory spaces. Btw. you can save into ALL 1024 patch memories of the SNII !! That's great. I don't know any other synth that can do that.

Btw2. only half of the 1024 program slots are filled at the factory so you have 512 empty patches and 512 presets. OS 2 promises also 512 new factory presets (if it ever comes out.).

BTW. I did as mr Liet / dj Chriss suggested in another thread and got to know my SN2 better. The result is a new track which I think worked out pretty well... Check it out ("Spaceride") at http://mp3.com/NativeAlien

Cheers!
Toni - n/a

erhm.. sorry 'bout the special buttons thing. It's been a while since I tried the beast and I must have gotten too used to my SNI.
and true it's a synth and the reverb would normally only be good for strings and pads and stuff. But It's got a metallic sound which I enjoy and use alot in my progressive sounds.
About the drums. ALL of the sucks but you can actually make some really good sounds yourself once you know how to do it. My drum hachine is 16 step and it has been bugging me for ages so I've had to learn my supernova and use it for snares and claps and shit.

why am I defending this machine when my head aches like a bloody ... something?

Btw. Nice sounds on the song :) but you can get even more evil and powerfull sounds using the sync and sync skew functions. I like the sync on that extra bass that's allways cool :)

and the digital I/O is a most definite thing, the novation crew have told me.

Last edited:
IF U WANT TO MAKE TRANCE LIKE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIST GET A ACCESS VIRUS C - I HAVE A VIRUS AND A NOVATION NOVA (WHICH IS THE SAME SOUND ENGINE AS THE SUPERNOVA) AND THE VIRUS IS WHAT U WANT!!!!

I AM UNBIASED AND AM GIVING U THE INFO U NEED EMAIL ME IF U WANT SOME AUDIO DEMOS AND I CAN PROVE IT.

THE NOVA IS VERY WEAK SOUNDING IN THE DEPARTMENT YOU WANT ALTHOUGH IT IS MUCH EASIER TO PROGRAM THAN THE VIRUS. THE VIRUS IS THE TRANCE SYNTH THAT YOUR FAVES USE . TRUST ME

\\One thing I really hated about Virus KB was the low memory spaces. Btw. you can save into ALL 1024 patch memories of the SNII !! That's great. I don't know any other synth that can do that. \\

The Korg Triton.

The SN2 is a freaking awesome synth. It's power is unrivalled, but so is it's price.

If all you need is great leads, check out the Novation K or A-station. It's Novations answer to the Nord. It does some of the best leads I have ever heard, and is 600$ for the keys, 450$ for the rack.

The Virus C is nice as well. The Trance masters use The Virus and Nova line.

The Super Nova is a great synth but the only thing that lets it down are the presets! "Who need presets I hear you say! you can program your own" That is true enougth but often when you are producing music you need sounds that are as near as you wanted them only leaving small tweaks to perfect them to your tast. The Virus range synth are the best presets iv ever heard to date. Even if you dont like presets you know what the synth is capable before you perchase it.

Somone ask for Trance I can pick a Trance Nation patch within seconds and you probley wont even want to change it at all..

Iv heard some great music produced on a Super nova and I will one day add one to my setup for its sonic flexability and programing but I have not as yet heard anythink beat the virus.

That is true enougth but often when you are producing music you need sounds that are as near as you wanted them only leaving small tweaks to perfect them to your taste.

IMHO this is about as wrong as it gets. If you need presets to make the sounds you want then welcome to "You are the reason that all electronic music sucks a-ss and sounds the same". No one needs presets in a synth. It's a frikkin' synth for christs sake. Go buy some sample CD's or ROMplers and stop jacking the prices up on people that actually have the desire to apply some talent to the trade. Again, just all IMO.

Last edited:
Thats total rubish! alot of people start with presets to get a track going and then tweak them or even program them from scratch, this has nothink to do with talent its just a personal preferance of the way some work with a track.

you dont realy think they spend hours programing thoes presets just to demo a synth do you? its very rare that I use a presets as is I normaly tweak it to death and no longer sounds like its original preset sound. Also it takes time to program sounds from scratch and is a skill in itself that not everybody can do as well as mabe you so dont give judment on who has and who dont have talent just because presets are used.

You can make a new set of sounds and have no idear what to do with them and how to compose a good track as well as marstering it, again this requires skill and Talent.

Thats total rubish!
No, that's totaly my opinion. And opinions can't be wrong due to their nature.

alot of people start with presets to get a track going and then tweak them
Yeah, it's pretty sad isn't it.

this has nothink to do with talent (AND) Also it takes time to program sounds from scratch and is a skill
So it has nothing to do with talent because it's a skill? And again (Yep, just my opinion again) it has everything in the world to do with talent. Any Bass Monkey can pull up some presets and make the next best redundant, played out, preset driven trance fodder. It takes real skill to make your own sounds from scratch, and if you do your music will sound different than the status quo, I guarantee it.

its just a personal preferance of the way some work with a track
Again I disagree. It's not preference, it's laziness and lack of skill. If you can't program your own sounds (again in my opinion) you have no business puting out tracks and calling them yours. Cause they aren't yours.

you dont realy think they spend hours programing thoes presets just to demo a synth do you?
Nope, I think they spend hours programming presets so a bunch of dumb lazy kids will run out and say "OMG, it's got great presets, I'm gonna buy it". Which I find very sad.

Also it takes time to program sounds from scratch and is a skill in itself that not everybody can do as well as mabe you so dont give judment on who has and who dont have talent just because presets are used.
Awfully defensive aren't you? And yes I feel that I can hand down judgement in the form of my opinions. Welcome to the "free" world and the open medium that is the internet. Programming a synth isn't hard, you just have to try. And it takes time to learn how to do it right, which is why most people won't learn to use a synth cause they are lazy and just want to be able to impress their friends with something they can call their own (even if it isn't).

Now mostly I'm against people using presets on synths cause it jacks the price and rarity of synths up for people that actually want to use them properly. If you want to use presets buy a sampler or a ROMPler, you'll get 10X more sounds for your money. A synth is an instrument, NOT a sampler. And I personally don't like paying 50% extra for my synths cause a bunch non-talent hacks are grabbing up all the extra synths to use them like samplers. I'm also sick of hearing little trance kiddies saying "I made this track, and that track, etc" when all they did was get a bunch of loops and a tracker program and then use a preset or 2 of a Supernova. It takes no talent to do that and it's a strong reason why all techno sounds so redundant and lame now a days.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me as much as you want, I assure you I won't mind :D

i agree Soren i am among those who hate loops & presets. I have overwritten almost all my virus presets with sounds from scratch, and all the drums I use are built from 0, may be they don't sound very pro, but at least when I say it is MY drum loop, then I am sure it is and not a modified one. I never used ReCycle or ACID or any preset of any kind and I don't think one day i will.

"Also it takes time to program sounds from scratch and is a skill in itself that not everybody can do"

A skill is not a gift from God, it's something we get by learning. I use hardware since 7 months only ! I started learning how to program sounds on software like Reason and FLP and VST Synths and it didn't take me a long time. Beside that I read some articles and tutorials about synthesis to understand how those soft worked. SO now, with my Virus, i get the overall shape of almost any sound I want in less than half an hour, and then spend more time to adjust it. Using presets in my opinion is like copying/pasting...... where's the creation and the personal effort ?

If you want to program a sound then that fine I program sounds I also tweak presets thats not go over the top here a sound is a sound and if it sounds good and you have tallent and know what to do with that sound then what is the big issue.

It is easy to program a sound once you learn but its even easyer to tweak a sound thats near to the sound you are after, easy dont mean lazy I think you should use your tools to your advantage thats all im saying.

:cool:

Dave T said:
By the way , are there any fans out there of DUmonde, Flutlicht, Pulsedriver, Green court, Tandu, Transa, Alex Rocco, ferry Corsten, Vincent Demoor, Airscape, etc... They create some tremendous sounds. It's cool to hear from those people who know and love the exact sounds I'm asking about. Anwyay, thanks again.

Dave, if you want to know what DuMonde use, they use the Waldorf synth (Q, micro Q, microwave XT)

and SHOKK/ Flutlicht use VAZ modular which is a soft synth

Back