Best software for producing hip hop?

Ableton LIVE and don't let anybody tell you different.

I remember using REASON and making music felt more like a chore than having fun... now that they've cluttered up the REASON screen beyond all recognition... I could never entertain going back to it. I have Reason 6 though.

I have a Reaper license too... I have Samplitude...

I have too much ish. I only use LIVE 8.

wouldn't know . . . only use FL Studio. wanna switch to Live but that'd slow a nigga down right now . . . might possibly learn it when I finish my 50-song quota.

m-phazes uses cubase, jazzy jeff rocks ableton, 9th used fl studio. its all about how u use it now what you use. having said that i love the workflow on ableton in terms of sampling and making beats composed or sampled

look up on youtube all the different ones and see which one you like most. its all about what you like and how you use it

I have used Logic, Reason, Pro Tools, and Fl Studio but I can't stop using Fl just because I know it in and out and I can create my ideas quickly and just get to banging out beats!

Shiddddd..... Reason All DAY LONG!!! I hear y'all talking about Live, but IMO Reason is the best for taking any track from concept to completion. You can tweak every parameter in Reason to your hearts desire. Has everything you need, sampling, synths, drum machines, Reason will get you right.

Shiddddd..... Reason All DAY LONG!!! I hear y'all talking about Live, but IMO Reason is the best for taking any track from concept to completion. You can tweak every parameter in Reason to your hearts desire. Has everything you need, sampling, synths, drum machines, Reason will get you right.

Hell yeah man it's easily laid out for tweaking and routing on Reason.

I use Reason, and FL for chopping with Edison and using VST's.

Last edited:
I know Cubase, Protools, FL Studio and Reason INSIDE AND OUT!!! And I'm a Reason freak. I know all the major software just as well as Reason and it's way faster. The sequencer in Reason is smooth, easy to read, easy to edit, and easy to layer melodies. Not to mention the amazing midi parameters. And the synth editing is so easy. The only things I wish Reason had are reFX Nexus 2, better realistic instruments, and some more compressor, eq and modulation choices. Thor synth programming is just sick.

BTW, I have some new Reason 5 patches. I have built a new sick Multi-Band compressor, and a sick mastering chain. I also have my project template I'm willing to share. I'm also working on some new drum patches that are ridiculous. They are very complicated though so they are taking a while. Who is interested?

Recycle - Reason - Kong(Chunk trigger) ... sampling simplicity cannot be matched elsewhere.

Yeah I have to say I went back and forth between Reason, FL & Reaper for a few years but when Kong came out that was it, exactly what I want in a sampler. My only beef with it is that it doesn't have a built in slicer that maps your chops across the pads. Does Reason 6 improve on this at all?

I also hate the fact that you can't zoom horizontally with the mouse wheel.

There are many softwares out there for your liking in my opinion there's to many. Its what you like I use FL Studio"s only because I used it for so many years but its what you like nothing more.

All DAWs are about the same its more of a matter of how you like to operate. I have used Acid, FL, Reason, Sonar, Cubase, Live, various hardware and over all Reason is my favorite when rewired to Sonar.

Its not really about what program you use, its more about your comfort level with it. I've tried reason 5, cubase 5 and Fl studio 9 and 10 and I feel most comfortable with FL, but its your choice so experiment a bit and stick with what you're best at.

I always loved the drum machine in Reason. Never liked the samples of Fruity Loops. Experiement with trials until you find the one you like.

Back