Best Episode of Rhythem Roulette!

im1ufo

There have been a lot of cool people that have participated in this series
(Erick Sermon, El-P, Mac Miller, Black Milk, Ski Beatz, Apollo Brown, Statik Selektah, etc)

for those of you that haven't watched.... "We challenge producers to make a beat out from three random records. The only catch is that they have to be blindfolded when they pick them out."

recently Madlib's brother Oh No switched things up on the show provided us with the most entertaining episode by far. I'm no stranger to sampling video games for beats in a dark, messy basement so that had my chuckling to myself.. but what makes it hilarious is his whole demeanor. Funny dude.

Last edited:
Entertaining yes, but man that beat was awful... I guess you can't expect any more from someone using video games at random haha.

Creativity runs in their family. Seldom do you find two brothers who are both lab rats. If you gave him more time and told him you were unsatisfied, he'd bang out something else, even more intricate. His production style is a little more choppy & grimy than Madlib but he's also a prolific beat maker with the dusted lo fi type beats. He spends so much time in the studio, I saw one interview where he said he only takes breaks to be with his kids, & doesnt even have time for the kids mom. Music is one of those industries where being selfish and having one singular goal is often required.

Last edited:
Will check out the vid you posted when I'm not at work, but my two favorite beats have been from Ski Beatz and Eric Sermon - soulful, hard, melodic beats and they put in that work.

This series is awesome. Just cool to see these artists do there thing and create music! I forgot about that is series so thanks for posting this ep!

She he be forgiven for not knowing who the Commodores are?(lol).

he also said he has never heard of Kool and the Gang and also the Bar Kays

I'm only a minute or two into this so I don't know what is going on ....either this dude has never done any real digging in his life or he is just trying to be funny

Last edited:

I'm only a minute or two into this so I don't know what is going on ....either this dude has never done any real digging in his life or he is just trying to be funny

definitely a joke episode haha

I can't believe I missed that episode when it was uploaded...thanks for the post!

Last edited:

More a reflectiion of today's beatmakers in the digital era. No connection to the music history itself. Producers like Staik Seletah, Alchemist, Stu Bangaz, Eric G, M Phazes, EL P, Marco Polo. Those guys were special had a lot of soul. I could feel their music. Many of the new generation of sample based producers seem unathentic like they're faking the funk:

Many today lack that great ear, producers of the past had. That's because no one DJ's anymore which is a great foundation for being a producer.

Last edited:
Back