Best DAW for me?

pacific22

I am new to this. I don't want to create beats, I just want to make flawless mix cds of my music collection (house music mp3). I'm looking for:

1. timeline view (no turntable views)
2. easy warping

I've worked with Mixmeister and the timeline is really easy to use, but the whole warping thing sucks in Mixmeister.

Is FL Studio easy to warp tracks? I like the looks of Studio One but don't think it has a warping feature. I tried to use the Ableton Live demo, but the warping part was confusing.

I don't need most features of DAWs, but the warping part seems to be crucial to make good mix cds. And i have so much music, it will take a long time to warp everything. So, I'm looking for the easiest warping DAW. Thanks

Last edited:
juz give em all a shot....as far as warping goes....that sounds like more of a plugin or automation thing

You need to give Ableton another try. It's the best program for making mp3 mixes.

Try them out and see which you like best. I'm partial to Reaper, but started with FL Studio.

By warping.. do you mean stretching and condensing a song to speed it up or slow it down?

Studio One does this. You can even stretch without changing pitch if I'm not mistaken. I don't do it much, but I'm pretty sure it does.

ableton basically started out as this kind of program, and is still one of the best around imo. Alot of the time (especially for easily detectable bpm-music as house) you dont even have to warp songs manually.

By warping.. do you mean stretching and condensing a song to speed it up or slow it down?

Studio One does this. You can even stretch without changing pitch if I'm not mistaken. I don't do it much, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I'm not sure exactly how Ableton defines warping. I would define it this way: I want to mix two 4/4 dance tracks, slightly different BPM. No matter which software I use, those two songs almost never line up EXACTLY. So, I've got to manually adjust some of the beat markers so that the outro mixes flawlessly into the intro of the next song. This process is a pain in the ass in Mixmeister, and very time-consuming. I never figured out how to do it in Ableton.

I read the Studio One forums, and they were expecting to add this "warp" feature to a new version, but I'm not sure they did.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

ableton basically started out as this kind of program, and is still one of the best around imo. Alot of the time (especially for easily detectable bpm-music as house) you dont even have to warp songs manually.

I guess I'm gonna have to go back and learn Ableton. I like the looks of Studio One better, but Ableton seems to be what I need.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly how Ableton defines warping. I would define it this way: I want to mix two 4/4 dance tracks, slightly different BPM. No matter which software I use, those two songs almost never line up EXACTLY. So, I've got to manually adjust some of the beat markers so that the outro mixes flawlessly into the intro of the next song. This process is a pain in the ass in Mixmeister, and very time-consuming. I never figured out how to do it in Ableton.

I read the Studio One forums, and they were expecting to add this "warp" feature to a new version, but I'm not sure they did.

Warping in ableton is basically stretching. This would fix the BPM difference. Warping in ableton is a breeze even when done manually.
remix.net: Ableton Beat Warping / Mapping Tutorial For DJs - YouTube - This is one of a plethora of tutorials on the subject, should be pretty easy to figure out.

Not sure what you mean with they don't match up exactly, that's all down to how well you pinpoint the bpm. If you have them on the same bpm and you line up the timing there really shouldnt be much problems.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Just for the record, I haven't tried studio one, so can't comment on what that's capable of.
But at least to me ableton seems more logical when it comes to these things then more traditional daws.
<<----- Major ableton fanboy

Not sure what you mean with they don't match up exactly, that's all down to how well you pinpoint the bpm. If you have them on the same bpm and you line up the timing there really shouldnt be much problems.

Yep, I guess I didn't spend enough time with Ableton. As far as the songs lining up: most of my tracks are mp3. Since mp3s are lossy, I'm guessing that could be part of the reason why they don't line up like exactly.

Nah, you'll get a higher loss in quality when stretching them then for wavs I think, but shouldnt affect timing.

I dont know your lvl, so don't be offended lol, but make sure you line up the 1s.
As long as the 1s are lined up, and they are the same bpm, they should be timed. 1s being the first beat in a 4/4 measure.

Quick trick for you if you're getting back into ableton: if you find the first beat where the rhytm is regular in the song you want to warp, you can right click the wave arrea and get various warping options that does stuff automatically.

Among them are "warp as 140 bom from here" or something like that. It's pretty neat.

Nah, you'll get a higher loss in quality when stretching them then for wavs I think, but shouldnt affect timing.

I dont know your lvl, so don't be offended lol, but make sure you line up the 1s.
As long as the 1s are lined up, and they are the same bpm, they should be timed. 1s being the first beat in a 4/4 measure.

Quick trick for you if you're getting back into ableton: if you find the first beat where the rhytm is regular in the song you want to warp, you can right click the wave arrea and get various warping options that does stuff automatically.

Among them are "warp as 140 bom from here" or something like that. It's pretty neat.

Yep, I'm a new guy but spent MANY hours working in Mixmeister. Going to dive back into Live. It seems to be the most useful for warping - makes sense because it was developed for electronic DJ's.

Dont matter what you use, aslong as you know what your doing you can the same quality with any daw.
I use fl studio, reason, and logic pro, check me out ZMbeatz search on youtube

if i understood it right: you want to mix like a dj in club.

of course you can buy a DAW but in this case it's shit! you wanna mix with the mouse? sry, but this is not the real dj feeling. what you need is two turntable's and a mixer. very simple. and if you wanna work with the computer(that you can use the music from pc to turntable, you have to buy traktor or serato). but for this you have to spend a lot of money. but it's worth of it. :)

Back