Best Beginner Beat Making Software?

There is no best. I would say check out Reaper because its well supported, very inexpensive, lots of features and is constantly being updated. $60 gets you two full versions and then you can upgrade for the same price after that point whenever you get around to it since Reaper employs the honor system vs most companies who charge $400+ initially and then $100+ for upgrades. FL Studio, Reason and Ableton are the most popular around for beginners but there is no such thing as beginner software. If I were starting out today and didn't have any real preferences I would dive in head first with Reaper and Youtube tutorials.

I use Fl Studio, and FOR ME, it's the most user friendly DAW. I tried Ableton and Reason before, but I couldn't follow things up on them.

I would suggest FL Studio.

I saw this because the interface that FL Studio uses is so different than the other DAWs that honestly if you did not know anything about Fl Studio and its your first time using, you would be able to figure it out with ease.

The interface of other DAWs tend to have a look that is intimidating, mainly because they are used on a more professional high quality level such as, studios, professional music engineers, and etc. FL Studio however does provide for that same quality and professional sound, and as we all know big producers in the industry right now are using FL Studio to produce their beats and I believe it is because of the simplistic nature of the Interface.

Considering everything said, It really is up to you, if you saw tutorials for another DAW then you would obviously more in-tune with that DAW... so the choice is yours. I would say to try out different one's and see which one's you like. Mostly if you use one, you would most likely be able to figure out another.

Hope this helps, please message me or post on my wall if you have any more questions.

Legendarybeatz,
Buy Beats Online | Buy Hip hop Beats | Buy Rap Beats | Instrumentals

I would also say fl studio. Its gonna be so mucb easier to progress with all the great tutorials there are online

I think best beginner software is Sony Acid Pro, there are nothing difficult for use. You can see all projects wave picture. Easy in instalation. Good for sampling and chopping

There's a lot to choose from. For me, FL studio was a bit to complicated as a beginner. This review did a pretty good job explaining how and why Dr. Drum is definitely one of the best for beginners.

I use FL studio. at first i tried demo versions of several DAWs and found FL studio most user friendly for me. But it depends from person to person. Just try out and see what suits you best. Good thing about FL is lifetime updates

What you could do is buy an audio interfaceand get the small version of Ableton Live. It comes with it, it's yours to keep and use. Not a demo.

An audio interface you could check out like at Sweetwater. And they help you hook it up right.

I use M-audio. For my midi keyboard, my bx8 d2 monitors and my audio interface. They are on the cheaper side but still very good.

I also have Ableton Live 8 Suite. It's pretty cool but abo8ut the oonly part I like out of the "Suite" version is the vocoder (which is badass) and Sampler. I also like Electric though cuz it does the cool keyboard stuff like an electric piano.

But look around at Audio interfaces. Many of them come with Ableton Live. You can play it on your keyboard too. The Midi nots on your you know mouse and keyboard with you know like ABC's.

Ableton Live looks difficult to understand. But it isn't once you understand that each circle is simply just a way to adjust in a general way or anyway for that matter. You just have to learn where that section is like for audio and midi. Or fortuning you volume on a drum.

Abelton Live can have different screen backround colors which is pretty cool. but they are kinda funky so I don't usually use them.

Ableton Live is great for making music quickly and in a hurry. It's effects are very transparently clean and a little analog touch to them just right too.

You can always Upgrade it later for cheaper during some specials they have and they might come here pretty soon cuz they do it way later than their release.

Ableton live is a no frills no gills type of way of making music. It has a boring or colored screen and everything basically looks the same on it which is intimidating but not once you learn it from it helper dialog box. Oh yeh Info view was my best friend to learn with. Its in ableton and you can hide it with the triangle button. Or activate it back too.

Enjoy.

None. Pick one you like and be a beginner at it. Imo there is no point in using a "beginner software" just to have to relearn everything in the software you choose to stick with. (aside from basic principles obviously)

I started with reason, which I hear is complicated to many people.. It was well worth starting with it, because I've gotten pretty efficient with it and have no need for another DAW now.

Last edited:
I would suggest trying out demos of all of them (if they have any) or watching demo videos of each DAW. You will start to get a feel for which one you prefer. Personally I use FLStudio because the interface is well designed and it allows me to have a smooth and efficient workflow.

You could skip the DAW (for the time being) and go for a hardware/software combo like Maschine or MPC-Studio...

I jumped to Maschine after my hiatus from production and used it on its own for over a year... I'm using several DAWs now but everything I do starts in Maschine.

FL Studio is pretty intuitive and you can get some pretty good sounds, it costs $150 I believe. Logic Pro is like a professional version of Garageband, it's a good software but i think it's around $200. These two are good ones to start with. It's hard to make a professional sounding beat on garageband or audacity, and there are so many resources to help you with these two softwares since they're so popular.

I should add that many producers (including me) use sounds (VST's) from third parties in the software we use. As you gain experience, you may want to invest in some new sounds. Inspya Me is a good beginner's tool. It's cheap (like $20 or $30) and has a big library of sounds that replicate instruments used in popular songs.

Back