Best audio interface for heavy vst use ?

Micro15

I'm going to be getting a new interface soon but am still trying to decide which. I use ableton live + cubase and mostly vst's when making music. I was originally thinking of getting something like a motu ultralite, but have read that using vst's to process / create my sounds (rather than recording) might not make it worth spending the extra money and getting something less expensive like Lexicon Alpha. Anyone agree with this or do the Motu converters really make that much of a difference. Everything is going to be in the computer with really no external recording, I don't really care about the quality of mic pre's or number of ins/outs. So should i spend the money on motu if im just vst's or get something less expensive ? Thanks for any help.

If you aren't going to recording, the interface just needs to be 24-bit and have low-latency ASIO drivers. Other than that, 96 kHz operation might be helpful at times (like if you use MOTU BPM), but is not necessary. You can get away using something as simple as M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard, or some kind of USB or firewire interface if you are on a laptop. VSTi work is what I do and really the other features is for people who do recording as far as I can tell. If you do get some M-Audio stuff, you just have to be sure to follow the installation instructions exactly otherwise it might not work correctlly. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

a dsp chip will help an underpowered computer but your money is probably better spent on a pc that can handle the load you're throwing at it.

Back