Beginner Questions

Start by reading this thread.

10 Things they don’t tell Music Producers…. til it’s too late

For all of your questions, not many answers will help you along.

The best gear? DAW?
What genre are you talking about? EDM? Orjan Nilsen uses Cubase. Afrojack uses Fruity. Dada Life uses Abelton. Armin Van Buren uses Logic. Kygo made his brilliant remix of I see fire on cheap gear and Logic. See my point?
100 000s of post are written on that topic and reading them will be a total waste of your time. It's really not the gear, it's the human behind it.

Inspiration?
Comes from with inside. But most of the time it's just hard work.

Mixing?
Your ears and the ability to use simple equipment like EQ, compression, panning, reverb/delay and filtering. Prepare to use some time to learn to develop both your ears and your ability to use the above mentioned. But there is only one way to learn it so off to work!

Mastering?
Post a track you have made. I'm pretty sure you can mix it better if you are a beginner.
Mastering a track that isn't well mixed is like painting a bulky car without doing all the hard work needed to straighten it out.

Most of the beginners tracks I've ever heard didnt need mastering. They need better production, arrangement and mixing.
There are tons of decent mastering plugs that will give you the ability to master yourself till the day comes that you have a track that needs and deserves a mastering service you can't do yourselves.
You will find several plugins within most DAWs that will suit the task of "mastering" your track. Nowadays people seem to think of mastering as brickwall limiting to win the loudness war.

If you are a newcomer one of the best tips I can give is try to find someone that knows a little more than yourself and try to get to work some with them. You will learn a lot and probably also a lot faster. If location makes this impossible, use the second best; collaborate with someone online or see some youtube videos. Warning; hard to find the good ones.

Good luck!

Last edited:
^That's a good answer to a myriad of so broad questions that the answer to them has...well, created forums like these.

Back