Been asked countless times, but how do you get 808 kicks so thick like in examples...

Ryz0n

I've been struggling with this for years and never getting the true fatness that I was going for. I'm convinced it must be compression mainly and then some accentuating EQ, but I just can't achieve it. I have tons of 808 folders, one of these samples has gotta be possible.

First one is a Kendrick Lamar song. Can anyone tell if there's a kick layered with this 808 or is it the bass alone? It sounds very meaty in its attack. I primarily want help creating something like this.
Kendrick Lamar - Cartoon & Cereal - YouTube

Here's a Schoolboy Q song.I can hear a kick layered in this one, but I have a problem blending kicks with 808's as well so that they feel seamless.
ScHoolboy Q - NigHtmare On Fig St. (Prod. A$AP Ty) - YouTube

finding a good kick drum to complement the 808 can def help. You want to find a good 808 sample to start with...Compression and EQ wont make a shitty sample good (only better). Layering a synth bass with your 808 can also beef it up but some wont mix good so experiment and see what sounds right...

i just made a similar 808 with distortion, compression and a little bit of eq'ing. i took a standard 808 kick sample and put the scream distortion plugin from reason on it, then a compressor with a high treshold.

Would u mind sharing the particular 808 Sample that u used? I think some of my problem is not knowing the right initial sound to choose before all the effects are applied.

Back