Beastie Boys sue Monster Energy Drink (RIP MCA)

im1ufo

Hope he wasn't turning in his grave when Monster decided to use a 24 song mega mix as part of a viral campaign ..I'm sure he wasn't because he knows the B-Boys and his family got his back

The last will and testament belonging to founding member Adam "MCA" Yauch — who died in May after a battle with cancer — was filed Tuesday in Manhattan Surrogate Court and reportedly contains a clause that bars advertisers from using his music, likeness, or any art he's created in connection with hawking products

This shouldn't surprise anyone though...they were a punk band before they started rapping in '83... and like he says in the first verse of "Triple Trouble":

Cause I'm a specializer, rhyme reviser /
Ain't selling out to advertisers
What you get is what you see /
And you won't see me in the advertising

MCA had such a sick flow live(each member's raps on this version are probably more on point than studio version)...ripping shit up as an old man..

AdamYauchQuote.jpg

Last edited:
" reportedly contains a clause that bars advertisers from using his music, likeness, or any art he's created in connection with hawking products

This is kind of interesting. Even if he had such a clause,could that stop the Beastie Boys from licensing their music to advertisers? All three rapped on the tracks, so what does "his music" refer to?

Would they have to just take his verses out?

I thought it was great that he put it in his will. But if his family or co-band members become broke, people might start singin a diff tune.

Back