Be a better rapper tips

LoonyBinBeats

TIP 1. BE ORIGINAL

There's a reason why your favorite rappers are famous. They had something about there music that nobody else had, sure theres always going to be people who will try to copy your style but the point is to make something that other people want to copy. You want people to notice you and not say "heard it before, he sounds just like lil wayne" Stand out from the crowd, don't be apart of it!TIP 2. BE REAL

People can sense when someone is being fake with there lyrics and that usually doesn't build fans very well. If you don't have a Huge house or gold chains or a cool car don't rap about it! Instead rap about what you do have or even what you don't have. If your struggling to pay the bills put it down on the track, people love things they can relate to in they're own lives.

TIP 3. BE POSITIVE

Try not to talk down on other artists, even if you don't like they're music. Instead give them constructive criticism and tell them what they can do to improve. The energy you put out is the energy you'll receive, bottom line is DON'T BE A HATER, it won't get you anywhere
TIP 4. COLLABORATE

The more people you collaborate with the more people will hear your music. You figure if you drop a track with someone and they show all there fans that song you might gain new fans from that person. Makes sense rightTIP 5. ALWAYS IMPROVE

There's always room for improvement! Get on youtube and watch tutorials on how to equalize vocals better, or save up for that bad ass mic you want. Even if you think your the best you can possibly be, continue to grow and get better

As today's devil's advocate or plain pain in the butt, I disagree with these tips.
I would also say there are no clear examples of any of this stuff working.
I will give you an arbitrary number of reasons why or why these needs a lot of tweaks.

TIP 1. BE ORIGINAL
1) There's a reason why so many rappers sound the same and it's about fitting in with the current trend. You become easy to slot and mix with. This also affects your tip #4 about collaborate. No one wants a feature from an incompatible style or artist that doesn't gel with what you are doing.

2) Being original means doing something YOU haven't heard before. Doesn't mean it hasn't been tried, it just means no one has figured out how to make it work enough and you probably won't either if it's so original. There's a formula for a reason.

3) New, different and original are all adjectives that mean RISK. This industry isn't about risks.

4) Something original and worth copying will start being copied long before you are able to arrive with it on a major platform. In other words, what works starts working from day one, not just with your big push.

5) Being a 'better rapper' is subjective nonsense. You want to be [insert any thing that counts] it will be about your business sense. If you think things like originality and skill and talent make you a better rapper, you are insane. Rename this "How to be a better that I would like, if I ever heard of you, which I won't"

TIP 3.
BE POSITIVE
Instead give them constructive criticism and tell them what they can do to improve.
1) Negative sells.
2) Rants draw attention. Be unhappy = misery loves company. Say anything sucks and the majority will agree. Music sucks, chicks suck, forums suck, beats suck, rappers suck. see?
3) If you posted and said hey all, check out this guys beats, we should support this guy; nobody would check. Be a jerk and say "This guys beats are better than all you losers" you will get views. Say you can't believe how horrible this guys beats are and he should just kill himself and cats will check in monster high numbers.
4) Who the hell are you to give someone else advice about improving?
5) No one wants constructive criticism. Everyone wants positive reinforcement.

TIP 4. COLLABORATE
You figure if you drop a track with someone and they show all there fans....
1) Why would a guy with fans do a song with me who has no fans?
2) Why would I do a song with a guy with no fans or fewer fans?
3) How do I sound so original, but then gel with another rapper and make a cohesive record. Who is going to sound more like who to fit in?
In other words, who is going to sound 'less original' for the sake of the record?
4) Why would I share my fanbase with another rapper?

Most of these answers are about money. Any artistic answer is about similar sounding artists. As in "What two rappers would make a great duo?"
You already start MATCHING styles in your heard. What makes the most sense? Someone with a huge deal who aint hot - mixing with someone who is hot, but doesn't have major bank behind them. That's a match made in heaven. Old money + new heat.

TIP 5. ALWAYS IMPROVE
There's always room for improvement!

Sounds great and generic, but improve what, how?
And I'm taking advice on what to work on from who?
1) An established rapper who thinks I should do it their way?
2) The scrub on my level who tells me what he would do if he were me?
3) Fans of rap who are probably NOT part of my intended target? i.e. I make this, but they like that so they think I'd be better if I made that.
4) Intellectuals who know everything about rap, but don't buy records or support artists?
5) A supporter who buys music based on like/dislike, but doesn't know or care to know why they like what they like?

You should be taking advice from someone who is going to do business with or behind you.
Anything other than that is ...opinions.
That person doesn't KNOW what you should be doing. They have ideas and an imagination.
Someone with business knows what you SHOULD be doing to work with them.

@ Griffin Avid, you forgot #2 "Be Real", lol.

Cause you know every successful rapper is living exactly what they talk about in their songs. From Rick Ross to Wayne to Tyga when he went in on Lil Durk, lol.

@LoonyBin, in a perfect world, this may be good advice, but it's the equivalent of telling someone to obey their parents, do their chores, drink their milk and eat their vegtables, so they can grow up and be a big and strong MMA fighter. They'll lose their 1st fight with some fat kid in school jacked up on Mt. Dew.

Back