Basics of Setting Up a Mixer and Audio Recording / Tracking

are u sayin that as in ur gonna help im a bit confused

man how would i set things up if i have the following(or should i say how would u set things up):mpc 2500,digi 002,and a behringer mixer(http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=BEHR-X1204&context=WEB) thats the mixer press the pic if u wanna closer look, alesis m1 active mk2 active monitors
pls help i wanna be able to hear me make a beat on the mpc(cus its the sequencer) then track to cubase sx via digi 002 (later)
pls help im going out of options here and its killin me

add me if its faster on msn iv got web cam to its not the best but u can see what i can see ballatoballa@hotmail.com

Last edited:
please post your question as a new thread in are of the sections on FP thanks. it's impossible to solve every care herewith everyone having different sound interfaces, etc.

you probably need help from someone who uses the Digi stuff 'I don't.

thanks mano!!

yo mano! all you guys at FP is da S@*t, and thank all yall
Fereski MercenariesProductions(MPs)

hi! great report!!! i usually have some problems with my old Mackie LM3204 it goes through an ultralite motu to the mac ..i worked with midi ok, the problem is to convert all to audio .. from tape in.. to the ultralite and then i have got oversounds(same signal twice) does you know how to get best results with Mac-ultralite-mackie lm 3204? to record audio??
Thanks

Mano:

Awesome vid. Do you think you can cover a little bit about proper gain staging? In the vid, it looked like when you went to monitor the output of the computer, the gain was a lot higher than the main stereo outs.

I think proper gain settings can be relevant to your vid as the last stage with respect to tracking and monitoring accurately?

Last edited by a moderator:
BlazinBeats said:
what are the stereo outputs of the mixer for then?

Are you asking because I use the BUS 1+2 outputs to record on the DAW?

The MAIN stereo output is there if you need it as well... not eveyrone records/works the way I show in the video. A mixer is a versatile tool, which can be used in many different ways.

Cool

Very Cool vid, very informative.

I am an amatuer producer in training, so naturally now I have an amatuer setup. I plan on upgrading my computer once I get a little more money, and was wondering what you think would be a good affordable and reliable sound card to go with an affordable mixer such as that one. I also have a weird knack for always having tracking too many seperate channels, so any advice on the next step up in mixers?(16 channel)

Thanks man, good to be a part of this awesome community.

hey great to see you on FP thanks

OK a mackie 1604 VLZ PRO would be a good other choice. I had one 10 years ago and loved it... or the yamaha you see in the video (VERY cheap... around 100 bucks)

sound-card wise, EMU and M-Audio make great cheap cards I believe and they are high quality still... it all depends on what you need (ie how many instruments you need to record at once, etc)

take care!

Dope stuff Mano, just checked out your vids for the 1st time.

I actually have a Yamaha MG 10/2. My question is regarding the Aux Send/Returns.

I ordered an ART MPA Gold which is basically a Dual channel pre-amp. I want to use the pre-amp for vox of course, but also I want to use it to warm up my VST's a bit. Now, the output of my computer sound card is feeding into one of the mixer's stereo channels.

Is the way to implement the ART to feed the AUX sends to the ART's input, then output the ART into the AUX returns? THEN, if I want to apply the ARTS signal to my mixer track, would I simply turn up the AUX pre/post knob??

By the way, I actually have 3 sound cards in my computer. A delta, audiophile (not currently in use) and an M-Box. I am feeding the Delta's signal into my mixer (along with all other gear) then the mixer into the M-box for tracking.

I'm usually used to doing signal routing in software so this is a bit different for me. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Great video

yeah this video is great i wish there was another tutorial of a Behringer ub 1202 connecting to a m audio delta 1010 lt i just bought those equiptment the other day.... yeah ohh and by the way if you guys wanna help yourself buy more gear try using this link may money on ads it does work..trust me http: //bux.to/?r=brichtoo

Pro tools set up

I have a question: How do I integrate my didgi 003 with this set up to where it plays back through the mixer then to my monitors? Right now everytime i want to use protools i have to unplug my monitors from the mixer and run it straight to the digi. When i plug the digi outs to the mixer inputs it wont play in stereo and has poor quality..

mano 1 said:
Duration: About 12 minutes

Summary: Learn the basics of Mixers, how to integrate a simple mixer in your computer-based studio, how to record a few tracks on your software + some final advice on "simplicity"

NOTE: You see me plug the synthesizer into the RETURN inputs instead of 11 + 12 INPUTS. I meant to plug it in the next ones, the 11 and 12 INPUTS.

Want to buy a mixer AND you don't mind helping FP?
Then use this link to find and buy the mixer you need:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/cat--Mixers--2846

Last edited:
So i gotta ask why not use the stereo outs from the mixer and output those to the computer and monitor from the computer vs monitoring from the mixer? Is that just preference or does one gain something sonically from this?

Back