Banking Your Sounds

Carpetman

Hey guys ...

In a world of billions of sounds .. we all know that we more or less gravitate to sounds our ears like .. I have recently realized how much time I burn in a production on sound design and preset flipping ....

I've been trying to get into banking my sounds more ... including drum layers ...to save time .

Looking for ideas from how any of you do it .

Thanx !

Carpetman

Last edited:
I took a while a year or two ago going through some vst plugin synths and creating banks of usable sounds, I got v station, z3ta+, albino and some others that just have hundreds of sounds. I realized when the juice is flowing, it's a creativity killer to go through patches and find 1 good 1 every 50 sounds or so. So I picked all the good ones and have templates that load with them pre loaded. Or in the case of synths like zebra and albino, the patches have their own folder so you just gotta go through and cut the wack sounds out. I used a program called dmbankmaker for some of them. Others I just did it by saving each good patch then individually loading them one after the other then saving the new bank. I think it took me 3 weeks or so, but it's going to pay off in the long run. These guys like jazzy pha that throw beats together in minutes are able to do so because for the most part they know where every good usable sound is in their setup and keep everything at their fingertips.

I only have albino, but what ive done with it is start with the original noise (which i think is ambient noise - aioon), then messed around with it lots and bank/save every sound i hit on that i like. Think i have about 100 or so self-made sounds from it. I mess around with it a lot, really like it, although still a noob at it.

Anyway, i have a seperate folder on my music drive called My generation with sub folders (e.g. kicks, hats, snares, strings, ambient, acid, etc.), and in it i have all the drum hits, strings, and albino noise's that ive changed through whatever means.

Back