Avid Sells off M-Audio, AIR & Video Product Lines!

keepinitreal

Avid has agreed to sell its consumer audio and video product lines. The company’s consumer audio products are being sold to inMusic, the parent company of Akai Professional, Alesis and Numark, among others. Headquartered in Cumberland, Rhode Island, inMusic's brands are best known for producing innovative products for music production, performance and DJing. The products involved in this transaction include M-Audio brand keyboards, controllers, interfaces, speakers and digital DJ equipment and other product lines.

Avid will continue to develop and sell its industry-leading Pro Tools® line of software and hardware, as well as associated I/O devices including Mbox and Fast Track.

Separately, the company’s consumer video editing line is being sold to Corel Corporation, a consumer software company headquartered in Ottawa, Canada. The products involved in this transaction include Avid Studio, Pinnacle Studio, and the Avid Studio App for the Apple iPad®, as well as other legacy video capture products.

Avid article & AIR Intruments Set Free

Is this the downing of a Dictator? Is the King dead? What's your opinion?

Last edited:
I guess u can say its the same thing as IBM selling its pc branch to Chinese Lenovo so it can focus on the enterprise side of things (where the big money is at).

Rumor says that they are moving Pro Tools next but I have my doubts about that and people who just bought 10 or a new HDX system and AAX plug ins will be highly pissed off lol

Without looking at their balance sheet, I would guess MAudio was their most profitable line of business.

With that being said... companies usually sell their most profitable line of business when they're dead broke and in serious trouble. Just sayin' lol.

Is Pro Tools on the way out? *GASP* Heavens to bitsy.

... i'll answer my own question lol, nah, Pro Tools will be around. Obviously they've been positioning themselves for this type of deal, which is probably why they opened Pro Tools up to other interfaces.

In regards to dethroning? While ProTools is still seen as king, I'm not too confident i'd say Avid as a company was ever king. Not sure if that makes sense or not.... but i never saw Avid as king... just ProTools.

Rumor says that they are moving Pro Tools next but I have my doubts about that and people who just bought 10 or a new HDX system and AAX plug ins will be highly pissed off lol

Selling Pro Tools, no. Update within less than a year.... I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that being that they have been promising 64-bit forever. The next release WILL support 64-bit.

Technically through if Avid sold Pro Tools I doubt it would make much of a difference since Avid didn't create it (RIP Digidesign, lol). Would def be surprised though.

Selling Pro Tools, no. Update within less than a year.... I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that being that they have been promising 64-bit forever. The next release WILL support 64-bit.

Technically through if Avid sold Pro Tools I doubt it would make much of a difference since Avid didn't create it (RIP Digidesign, lol). Would def be surprised though.
Avid was a parent company to Digidesign they just shut down digidesign.

Pro Tools stock has returned to $7 a share
M-Audio and AIR sold to inMusic
Sibelius UK Office closed team fired
365 Avid jobs lost at a cost of around $17million
Several key execs whacked, pmus several key people in Pro and Enterprise
Chief Technology Officer whackied

Reading the signs.....Is it the beginning or the end, y'all?

Pro Tools stock has returned to $7 a share
M-Audio and AIR sold to inMusic
Sibelius UK Office closed team fired
365 Avid jobs lost at a cost of around $17million
Several key execs whacked, pmus several key people in Pro and Enterprise
Chief Technology Officer whackied

Reading the signs.....Is it the beginning or the end, y'all?

Is this brotha speaking the truth?

^That's a lot for any one company to recover from.... without a bailout lol.

The company sounds like it's on it's way under, in it's current form. But.... that's not to say they can't maintain a small pool of people to keep the ProTools software going.

If you think about it... the biggest overhead software has is in personnell for development and customer support. So a watered down version of the company could surely keep the software going, which I would expect them to do so. But the interface and consoles.... they'll probably be forced to sell that off and stick with 3rd party manufacturers to make the products for them. I'm 200% positive that's why they opened PT up to all audio interfaces. It only makes sense. They saw this coming.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I wonder if VST support is on the way lolol.

(hhmmmmmmmm)

Back