Audio Technica AT2035 + Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 ..what to upgrade / invest for quality

Hi,

I currently have this below

Audio Technica AT2035
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Adobe Audition 1.5

With $400, how can I get my quality to sound like this guy's in this video below?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXuIm9n5rQ8

What should I buy next?

Studio Monitors, Studio Desk, Monitor Pads, Vocal Shield, Mic Pre Amps, Compressor, Graphic Equalizer, etc. The list can go on and on depending on your music production goals. Usually people buy audio gear based on their needs and goals.

What are yours?

Studio Monitors, Studio Desk, Monitor Pads, Vocal Shield, Mic Pre Amps, Compressor, Graphic Equalizer, etc. The list can go on and on depending on your music production goals. Usually people buy audio gear based on their needs and goals.

What are yours?

I've heard buying an external preamp isnt going to REALLY increase my quality...

My goals is to simply have good quality like this guy in this video...

You gave a long list of things, which do i need for simply increasing my vocal quality in the $400 price range?

I've heard buying an external preamp isnt going to REALLY increase my quality...

My goals is to simply have good quality like this guy in this video...

You gave a long list of things, which do i need for simply increasing my vocal quality in the $400 price range?

I gave you a list of things for a basic home recording studio, and yes, microphone preamps (mic pres) add characteristics to the sound of a dry vocal recording. I suggest that you take your mic and headphones to a local Guitar Center. Ask to demo some mic preamps, tell let them you want know which one compliments your voice the most. Tell them you want to try with your microphone and the headphone you bring because you know what that sound like already. Any noticeable changes you hear are coming from the mic pre. Also, do your research, every engineer knows that good mic pres are necessary for capturing god vocals.

Everything else on the list changes how you hear your recordings. If your speakers don't play certain frequencies loud enough for you to hear, you could be stuck with some nasty elements in your recordings. Worse, you wouldn't notice them until playing the song on different speakers. That's part of the reason you could be wanting better sound from your recorded vocals in the first place. The acoustics in your room play a big part too, just don't go overboard with sound absorption or reflection treatment.

Rather you trust my word for it or not, read from the tons of information google offers. Even though I know what I'm talking about, you should find out for yourself. And here's another piece of advice. Don't be cheap with your gear, buy gear based on how it performs your needs. If you want financing, I can try help with that.

Last edited:
I gave you a list of things for a basic home recording studio, and yes, microphone preamps (mic pres) add characteristics to the sound of a dry vocal recording. I suggest that you take your mic and headphones to a local Guitar Center. Ask to demo some mic preamps, tell let them you want know which one compliments your voice the most. Tell them you want to try with your microphone and the headphone you bring because you know what that sound like already. Any noticeable changes you hear are coming from the mic pre. Also, do your research, every engineer knows that good mic pres are necessary for capturing god vocals.

Everything else on the list changes how you hear your recordings. If your speakers don't play certain frequencies loud enough for you to hear, you could be stuck with some nasty elements in your recordings. Worse, you wouldn't notice them until playing the song on different speakers. That's part of the reason you could be wanting better sound from your recorded vocals in the first place. The acoustics in your room play a big part too, just don't go overboard with sound absorption or reflection treatment.

Rather you trust my word for it or not, read from the tons of information google offers. Even though I know what I'm talking about, you should find out for yourself. And here's another piece of advice. Don't be cheap with your gear, buy gear based on how it performs your needs. If you want financing, I can try help with that.

*sighs*...

If you check out this thread below:
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...01-scarlett-2i4-audio-technica-at2035-468928/

You will understand my concerns.

Thanks for the advice man. I will try to keep on researching. Hopefully some more people can leave their opinions as well.

*sighs*...

If you check out this thread below:
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...01-scarlett-2i4-audio-technica-at2035-468928/

You will understand my concerns.

Thanks for the advice man. I will try to keep on researching. Hopefully some more people can leave their opinions as well.

I think you're looking for a one answer type of solution, there is none. This is why engineers get paid to do what we do. Understand the advantages of each DAW component you purchase is critical. Gaining the "studio quality" sound means having a sound deemed worthy of production or placement. I'm not gonna waste time trying to sell you on what you should or shouldn't get, no offense. I just know you'll find out for yourself eventually. However, if you want to learn faster, listen to what mic pre amps do for your tracks. Try the test I told you about previously.

I think you're looking for a one answer type of solution, there is none. This is why engineers get paid to do what we do. Understand the advantages of each DAW component you purchase is critical. Gaining the "studio quality" sound means having a sound deemed worthy of production or placement. I'm not gonna waste time trying to sell you on what you should or shouldn't get, no offense. I just know you'll find out for yourself eventually. However, if you want to learn faster, listen to what mic pre amps do for your tracks. Try the test I told you about previously.

Alright, I will. Thanks a lot man.

By any chance do you happen to have any recommendations on which pre amps I should possibly take a look at that's in my $400 budget?

Search the forums over at GS.
They are alot more knowledgeable as a whole when it comes to gear.
:cheers:

The ISA One is a great pre or Golden Age Project Pre 73 Deluxe. I could also find some used gear for you, if you'd like.

The ISA One is a great pre or Golden Age Project Pre 73 Deluxe. I could also find some used gear for you, if you'd like.

No its ok. Thanks a lot pal, im going to the guitarcenter this Monday to demo them :)

1.) Do you think the equipment I have is capable of getting me the quality in that video?

2.) A new pre amp like the ones you suggested will help my quality a lot or slightly?

3.) The pre amps u listed will give a better impact than upgrading my microphone with the money?

Sorry for all of the questions but im still researching.

If you don't have monitors, I'd probably spend the cash there. The preamps you already have in the Scarlett are decent enough; although something like the GAP73 or the ISA One are a step up, it's not going to be a night-and-day difference with what you have now.

If you don't have monitors, I'd probably spend the cash there. The preamps you already have in the Scarlett are decent enough; although something like the GAP73 or the ISA One are a step up, it's not going to be a night-and-day difference with what you have now.

I like how no one tries to say other wise after you post...

I won't be recording until a few months when I get my own place but for now it's good to learn.

That's when I move out and will be able to record. I have a lot of family who stay in the house & I just couldn't record unless everyone left so I wouldn't have to deal with the noise.

You're environment is everything, I understand you reason for waiting.

Back