Audio Interface to Amp: What cable do I need?

Libertine Lush

Hey guys,

I'm soon to buy an audio interface and need help understanding what kind of cable I need to connect it to my speakers (not studio monitors, for now).

The audio interface I will get is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 | Products), which has "balanced analog outputs (1/4" TRS)."

The available input connections on my speakers' amp are 2 RCA inputs and a single 3.5mm.

1) Does it matter if I use the RCA or 3.5mm input on the amp? Is there a difference in sound quality, latency, etc?
2) What cable do I use?
This is my guesswork: If I'm connecting to the amp's 2 RCA jacks and it requires a 2 TRS to 2 RCA cable, I found no such thing on Amazon and Monoprice. If I'm to connect to the amp's 3.5mm input, then all I find are dual TS 1/4 to TRS 3.5mm cables (Amazon.com: Hosa CMP159 Stereo Breakout, 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS, 10-Feet: Musical Instruments). Would I not need a dual TRS 1/4 to TRS 3.5mm? I'm thinking my problem is that I'm looking for the wrong cables to begin with.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
You want a trs 1/4 to trs 1/8, no dual anything just 2 of those cables. As far as the quality difference between them, there isn't really one. Except the rca would be unbalanced.

Last edited:
Oh wait, do you mean you want to plugin the audio interface to an amplifier and to the speakers?

Well, the rca is gonna have those 2 connectors, so only one end needs to be dual which is the 1/4.

Well, the rca is gonna have those 2 connectors, so only one end needs to be dual which is the 1/4.

Sorry, I don't follow. I'm more than a novice; I'm doing research now on what my first ever setup will be.

Could you link me to an example of the proper cable? That'll be easier for me to understand.

Yeah, that's my mistake. I meant to say Rca to dual Ts 1/4, because the rca is unbalanced and so the other end of the cable will be that too, at least in this case (I'm not that knowledgeable on this)

You may get some interference this way, but I couldn't tell to to what extent or if it will even be a problem for you.

I used to have unbalanced 1/4 inch cables to my studio monitors and they picked up some noise every now and then, mostly crackles and pops. Also it reacted much more to my cellphone signal.. I'm not entirely sure how it translates when you try to connect the audio interface to the amp so I won't say more now. You should probably stick around for someone who can answer it more clearly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my mistake. I meant to say Rca to dual Ts 1/4, because the rca is unbalanced and so the other end of the cable will be that too, at least in this case (I'm not that knowledgeable on this)

Ah, okay! Didn't know that RCA is unbalanced.

Thanks for your continued help with this.

I used to have unbalanced 1/4 inch cables to my studio monitors and they picked up some noise every now and then, mostly crackles and pops.

Just out of curiosity, so I'll know what to expect when I eventually graduate from using my general Hi-Fi speakers to proper studio monitors, what kind of inputs are usually used when connecting an audio interface to monitors? And is that connection usually a balanced or unbalanced on?

I suppose it depends a bit. But if I were to guess it's mostly balanced, XLR or 1/4 inch, it's not uncommon to have both either.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, so I'll know what to expect when I eventually graduate from using my general Hi-Fi speakers to proper studio monitors, what kind of inputs are usually used when connecting an audio interface to monitors? And is that connection usually a balanced or unbalanced on?

this question is filled with an unstated assertion: that monitors only exist with built in power amplifiers

if the monitor is powered, then yes you will find that on the whole, it will accept balanced xlr and trs and unbalanced ts and rca

if the monitor is not powered (it is driven by a separate power amplifier) then the monitor itself is incapable of accepting those inputs. The amplifier may accept balanced or unbalanced connections as for powered monitors

this question is filled with an unstated assertion: that monitors only exist with built in power amplifiers

if the monitor is powered, then yes you will find that on the whole, it will accept balanced xlr and trs and unbalanced ts and rca

if the monitor is not powered (it is driven by a separate power amplifier) then the monitor itself is incapable of accepting those inputs. The amplifier may accept balanced or unbalanced connections as for powered monitors

Got it. Thank you!

Back