ATTN: Independent Artists - What are you doing to get your career off the ground?

GoodMoney

"...don't get lost."
For a long time, I didn't really know what to do, where turning this dream into a reality is concerned. One day, I sat down with a big blunt and thought long and hard about what I needed to do to start seeing the success I want. I came up with a simple solution: more shows. More shows increase your popularity (if your good that is) and builds your fan base. Building your fan base leads to more people coming out to your shows each time you perform. More people = more money. How? More people increases the likely hood that someone will by a drink or 3. More drinks means more money for the establishment you're performing in, which then means you are more likely to be paid by this establishment. If there was a cover at the door, then you get a cut of that too.

I'm starting with open mics and dive bars. I'd like to work my way into establishments that charge a cover. The more people I bring, the more money I get. By the end of the year I'd like to move up to bigger venues such as Public Assembly, SOB's and the like.

I'm performing at Goodbye Blue Monday in Brooklyn, on April 25th so come out if you can.

Incidentally, this also opened me up to more production clients, which equals more money as well.

What are you guys doing? Any plans?

Going to events and networking..even if your not on the bill as a performer, go to these events and meet ppl thats doing similar music. Get to know the ppl who came as fans, and always have a few demo cds or some type of press kit on a few flash drives and hand them to the promoter. Also, have your social networking up to par, I personally prefer face to face sentiments :), but hey, use the whole facebook, twitter, youtube, etc. to your advantage. Establishing relationships with bloggers will help you get your music posted to different sites thus creating a bigger buzz for you on a larger scale. Just a few things I do, keep pushing..!!

Thanks for your input Jade! All of that helps indeed. Now, what do you suggest to the artist that is socially inept? The artist who's not very good at approaching and socializing with people they don't already know?

Thanks for your input Jade! All of that helps indeed. Now, what do you suggest to the artist that is socially inept? The artist who's not very good at approaching and socializing with people they don't already know?

Get over it.
People use the internet as a crutch these days. Everybody you meet in the world--bartenders, soundmen, doormen, coat check girls, other bands, etc. is an opportunity! Even if you get shot down, its someone new you now know, at the very least its a name you can drop to someone else you're trying to get to know.
Best thing you can do if you want to move along from small venues to headlining gigs. Around where i'm at, in the jazz scene, even though alot of musicians are on facebook and twitter, the only way you gonna get anyone to take you seriously is if they can "see" your hustle in the real world. People want to see you walk the walk. Not just that, but being a face-to-face person makes it harder for people to just flat out turn you down. For myself, just showing up to a jam with my guitar was all I needed. Those same guys would have turned me down if I tried hollering at them online on some, "hey can I sit in with your band? Check out my video of me playing Autumn Leaves in my room" type of nonsense.

Last edited:
Ahhh the good ole 'Get over it.' I suppose if it were that easy, everyone would do it. Another helpful tip would be to go out with friends that you are most comfortable being yourself around, and make moves.

Get money right. Work on product. Get a couple of humble youngins with real talent who will listen to what I have to say. Go to the connects I have in a way that I really want to represent. Investors are a plus, just have to have a sturdy goal to not get distracted from. Go at them the right way. Still some years left to get ready. Working on getting a booth set up and a lot of stuff.

@901 true indeed, but I only have a perception 200, lexicon lambda and reaper. No booth. So long as you got the ears to make it sound good, you'll be straight. Hell, depending on where you're located, I'm very affordable.

An investor would be dope tho lol definitely would make things easier.

^^^^Being in that booth isolated from the world yet knowing th world is on the other side of that door a great feeling. Not knocking the non booth recordings....just setting up for my future dudes to feel comfortable.

And thanks but I'm cool on recording time. I have five mics and one on the way.

SOLD!!!!! For my personal use. But I'm trying to get out of the "go cheap....it works just as good" phase. Which is true to an extent.

But I ain't trying to work hard inside the box trying to make stuff sound like I want to. That's why you pay more to get what you want from the jump. IMO. That's where I'm at now. Time to get my excec on. Suit and tie shit.

Last edited:
Ahhh the good ole 'Get over it.' I suppose if it were that easy, everyone would do it. Another helpful tip would be to go out with friends that you are most comfortable being yourself around, and make moves.

That's because IT IS that easy. I'm doing it, people have been doing it for years. You don't know how to walk up to a venue manager or promoter and talk shop? You don't need a crew to do that. So what if you get rejected, hit up someone else and work on your repertoire so they can't turn you down a second time. If you don't take yourself seriously enough to hustle, how do you expect anyone else to? You can either be scared, or be successful----can't be both.

Back